Sign in to follow this  
FanSince1990

Can JJ be a point guard?

Darko has had a couple of assists this season. According to the above logic hes more than qualified. *rolling my eyes*

In order to JJ develop the maturiy to become a PG, he has to play regularly. How are you going to do this if he cant get NBA time for his position? His only chance would be some time in the instructional league and that would be a demotion not taken unabashed by this player.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

I don't need a crystal ball to know that Redick would struggle at the PG position. I saw him play limited point guard at Duke and it didn't work. He doesn't possess the ball handling ability or the speed to break pressure defenses and set up a offense. If he struggled with it at the college level he will struggle with it at the NBA level.

You're right though it hasn't been tried yet so no one knows if it would work. We haven't tried Keith Bogans at the PG yet either maybe he's the answer to our PG problems. Hopefully that's enough sarcasm to realize how ridiculous that comment is.

Not more ridiculous that you still not getting the point after all that has been said. Engage your gray matter for a second, emory889, no need to sound like a sarcastic 5 year old...

So, once again

Our starting "point guard" often times has more turnovers than assists, has no court vision, doesn't like to pass, and is rarely at the line shooting free throws when he's a good free throw shooter (defenses don't need to foul when they can just force him into a bad shot or block his shot). What could be worse?

The point here is to find someone who at least can get some assists and a few less turnovers and it's a bonus if that guy can shoot it from outside consistently. JJ can do all the above if he gets some playing time.

In limited minutes JJ is constantly running around, throwing quick passes, and I've seen him dribble the ball well enough. Also less likely to throw the ball away. So you saw a college game, that doesn't mean anything. Quickness does not a PG make. Is Nash that quick? Is Diener that quick, was Skiles that quick?

JJ doesn't even have to be a playmaker all of the sudden, just a guy who brings the ball down. Then playing Travis, a true PG who can make his teammates better would also imrpove our ofensive execution considerably. JJ would have to play absolutely terrible to be much worse than Jameer out there.

I am watching closely every time JJ touches the ball to see if the pt gd conversion is possible. If JJ could do it, it would simplify player requirements.

In my opinion, JJ is a better player than Dooling and Bogans right now.

I'm up for anything that gets him on the floor. I've always been about the team and never played favorites, but I actually get angry when JJ doesn't play. I want him in a magic uniform his entire career.

jj would be fair but there are some very fast point guards in the league who would frustrate him. i would like to see jj start taking more shots under pressure and being more aggresive toward the basket.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Just because a player is under 6-5 and can shoot doesn't make him a PG. Has anyone in the history of the league come in as a 2 and been taught to be a PG? It's a lot easier said than done. If it were that easy teams would just teach guys like Tracy and Kobe to be PG's and expect that they would dominate like Magic.

I Agree, I'm Glad that Doc Rivers isn't here to waste draft picks on Big "Project" PG's.......See Reece Gaines and Jeryl Sasser. What a Joke!!! I Swear if he thought he could keep up he would've run the point for the Magic, Wait Tree Rollins already did that at Center. Do you think Brian "Keebler" Hill can run the point? Maybe Randy Ayers at the Forward position....

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

I am watching closely every time JJ touches the ball to see if the pt gd conversion is possible. If JJ could do it, it would simplify player requirements.

In my opinion, JJ is a better player than Dooling and Bogans right now.

Offensively will be soon, defensively not yet. Needs more savy of the game that will come in time.

I will say it again:

J.J. Redick is not a point gaurd. Speaking as a player, if you watch J.J. dribble it's a green light to steal the ball.

He dribbles very close to his body, which means he can't protect the ball. When a good ball handling gaurd dribbles when being covered watch the space they get between the ball and the defender.

This is something that is very hard to develop, it is a natural instinct to protect the ball by dribbling close to the body, but in reality that opens the door for defenders. A quick defender can easily knock the ball lose with a quick swipe without fouling. If spacing is present you can knock the defender away with your body or he has to foul to get around your body. Redick does not have this spacing in his dribble. As a ball handler you can always bring the ball close to the body, but wants its close and a defender is on you, the defender is at advantage.

Now Redick running an offense is different from him playing PG. Someone like Grant Hill can bring the ball up the floor and let J.J. run the offense.

J.J. could run an offense, but in no way is he a PG. If he could learn how to handle the ball, it is a much different story.

J.J. is a smart player, but his strength is scoring. I would never exploit his weakness just to get him on the court. If coach Hill learned how to coach towards player's stregths and find lineups where the players individual strengths blend together, the Magic will see vast improvements.

I am not even going to go into J.J. defending the PG position. I don't think he is a bad defender but in no way is does he have the footwork or the quickness to cover the point.

JJ as a point guard? You have got to be kidding me? JJ couldn't start at point guard for my high school's team. Ok, that might be an exageration but- he has little to no experience playing the position.

He would be one of if not the slowest point guards in the league.

He can't drive and create for others.

He couldn't guard anyone.

Other than that he would be the next Steve Nash

Redick is not, and will never be, a PG. Others have explained why. There's not really any point discussing it further.

That's not to say that Redick can't be a good player. One pie-in-the-sky goal would be for him to become a Reggie Miller-type player.

But on the topic of PG...Any ideas why Dooling hasn't tried to play that position? He can't shoot, so shooting guard seems like a stretch, but he can play some defense...