Sign in to follow this  
mepot

Brighthouse/FSN Thread

Mighty JJ...I feel your pain man. This situation has bothered me since it was announced. I have been pretty optimistic up until this point. I really did not expect anything to happen until a few days before the season, with each side playing chicken with each other, daring the other one to give in. Now with opening night 24 hours away...it obviously does not look good.

I am moving next week to a new apartment and was just going to get Direct TV. The only problem is I don't know if I am going to have a clear view of the Southern Sky, so I might not be able to make it happen and will have no choice but to go with Brigthouse. Once I sign my lease I need to go in and see if Direct TV is even a possibility...but right now I don't think it is.

I agree with you, I love how the Sentinel is quick to voice their opinions about players and coaches, but have been quiet about this whole thing. It is extremely frustrating that no one seems to want to help the average fan watch the team they love.

Here's an update for you guys that have Brighthouse. Hint, it's not looking good:

quote:

"Unfortunately, we do not expect to have a deal with Bright House any time soon," Cathy Weeden, general manager of FSN/Florida, said Monday night. "We've made multiple proposals and haven't received any response that allows FSN to be offered on expanded basic. That's where it belongs."

Her's the link if you want to read the entire article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...ct30,0,7922056.story

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Here's an update for you guys that have Brighthouse. Hint, it's not looking good:

quote:

"Unfortunately, we do not expect to have a deal with Bright House any time soon," Cathy Weeden, general manager of FSN/Florida, said Monday night. "We've made multiple proposals and haven't received any response that allows FSN to be offered on expanded basic. That's where it belongs."

Her's the link if you want to read the entire article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...ct30,0,7922056.story

I am soooooo sick of Brighthouse's line of "We are still carrying 42 games"! They had better come to some agreement today!

quote:
The biggest stumbling block is where FSN/Florida would be placed in the Bright House lineup. FSN has insisted on being part of the expanded basic cable, which is where most regional sports networks are in other parts of the country. Bright House wants to have FSN placed on its higher-priced digital package.

Can't believe I hadn't realized this before...but Brighthouse has softened their stance and now wants the channel on the digital package, not the sports tier package (an additional two bucks beyond my current full digital package.)

Somehow this makes me less upset at Brighthouse...in the next few years, all TV will be digital. It isn't as hard a stance for Brighthouse to try to get this channel on the digital line-up and it shows that they have tried to get closer.

I agree...If they just put it on digital I am happy. Most have digital cable anyways, and LODM you are right...in a few years EVERYONE will be digital, so I can see where that make sense.

According to the Sentinel article both sides are meeting today and the Magic will be involved. I actually think the Magic are the one of the three that realize how bad this is going to be if a deal can be figured out. I hope maybe they come in, offer to offset some BS cost that either FSN or Brighthouse is crying about. I am going to check every hour and hope that I read "Deal with Brighthouse Done."

Sorry...I just noticed a few more things:

quote:
For the opener to be on Bright House cable, the agreement would have to be reached early today, giving everyone time to prepare.

They should already have everything ready to go! They should assume that a deal is imminent and things should be going on in the background that will allow the "flip of a switch" for the channel to miraculously appear on my channel guide!

quote:
In other parts of the state, Bright House has FSN/Florida on its expanded basic cable lineup, but it has changed strategy in Central Florida.

I need more explanation about this...how is it that these same two companies can have existing, similar agreements in place in other parts of the State, and yet Brighthouse is handling it differently here in C. FLA? Why?

Last one:

quote:
"We're well aware that our fans will not be happy if no agreement is in place when the season starts," said Alex Martins, Magic chief operating officer. "And we've continued to convey that to both parties [FSN and Bright House]. We're still confident it can get done, with the proper pressure on both sides."

Truly, I'm happy to see the Magic getting involved and applying pressure. But shouldn't they have been involved from the beginning? Why wait until 24 hours before the season opens? The players didn't wait to prepare until now...why should the administration wait until the last minute to try and help their fanbase!?

I vote nobody touches this thread until a deal is done. That way, when we go here and see it's been updated, we get that Christmas morning feeling inside and look at the good news. Other than that, i'm sick of reading all the talks and the progress or lack there of. It just annoys me (the situation, not you guys) to no end.

Maybe the Magic shouldnt have lowballed us magic fans and continued to produce their own games, until a deal between Brighthouse and FSN was already signed, that would have been good business management, not signing fsn and assuminf that the problem would be solved by opening night.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
In other parts of the state, Bright House has FSN/Florida on its expanded basic cable lineup, but it has changed strategy in Central Florida.

I need more explanation about this...how is it that these same two companies can have existing, similar agreements in place in other parts of the State, and yet Brighthouse is handling it differently here in C. FLA? Why?

Since each TV market is it's own franchise awarded by local governments, they have different programming and fee structures.

This has pissed me off for years when ACC basketball season rolls around and I can't get the games in Orlando on FSN when the rest of the state gets them.

I would be fine with the digital package as well, at this point I would be fine with the sports package. Just want it available!

Seems like there's some good news in the last page or two of this thread... that at least there's some urgency on the behalf of the FSN, Magic, and Brighthouse now.

I've finally heard something that makes me upset at FSN in particular. What's with the demand to put the channel on Basic cable??

FSN wants it on Basic, Brighthouse wanted it in the Sports Package.... for God's sake, why not compromise, meet in the middle, and just put it on the regular Digital Cable Package already?

Anyway, my gut tells me that FSN will be added to Brighthouse here in C. FL, but maybe not just in time for the opener or the first week of the season... at least they are meeting today, perhaps a miracle will happen and good rational sense will prevail.

To thefuturegm:

Thanks for your post and for the inside view into the situation.

Makes sense for FSN to blink first, considering that only 25% of the potential market will be able to tune in. Why would advertisers pay anything but discount prices for that?

I am not shocked that this deal was made so that FSN could approach Brighthouse from a position of strength.

It really is hard to only be mad at Brighthouse.

I am not too upset about missing tomorrow night's game, considering I will be trick-or-treating with Spider-Man and Superman. And I will be attending Friday's game, so that isn't a big deal. But I would really like to be able to watch next week's games...or at least record them.