Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

POST - GAME REACTION THREAD***Magic vs Raptors

Hi Guys!

I have to admit Toronto is really playing great basketball and is a Team which a like a lot - but not so much like I love our Magics Wink.gif

I think the rotation-shakeup was great and JJ and Keyon really play well together. Also I think Brian Hill/Tom Sterner realizes we need more to run.

So I hope for a win - and will be online thru the whole match.

We need a great game from everyone but I think Keyon`s Defense, J.J shot and Hedo will make the difference. Let

Scouting Report - B. Schmitz...Orlando Sentinel

WHERE: Air Canada Centre, Toronto.

RECORDS: Magic 31-37; Raptors 36-31.

BROADCAST: TV -- Sun Sports; Radio -- 580 AM (WDBO); Spanish language: 1030 AM (WONQ).

MAGIC UPDATE: Orlando, coming off a critical victory at the defending champion Miami Heat on Sunday, need to keep pace in the Eastern Conference playoff race. . . . The Magic are expecting PG Jameer Nelson (bruised right hip) to play. Nelson was injured colliding with a Heat player while chasing a loose ball. . . . The Magic are looking for their first victory against the Raptors this season. They lost 91-84 at home on Dec. 13 and fell 113-103 in Toronto on Feb. 7. In the last game, F Chris Bosh poured in a career-high 41 points. Dwight Howard had a career-high 32 for the Magic.

RAPTORS UPDATE: Toronto has been rejuvenated this season, holding a sizable lead in the East's Atlantic Division. The Raptors are 23-10 at home. . . . The Raptors have beaten the Magic at home in 10 of the past 14 meetings Bosh leads the Raptors in scoring at 22.7 points per game. Rookie Andrea Bargnani averages 11.5 per game.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR: The Magic have to tighten their defense after allowing 113 points the last time the teams met. Controlling Bosh is key, but the Magic also struggled against guards Jorge Garbajosa, Jose Calderon and T.J. Ford. The Magic have not won consecutive games since Jan. 31 (Milwaukee) and Feb. 2 (New Jersey).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...story?coll=orl-magic

BY JOHN DENTON

FLORIDA TODAY

ORLANDO - Dwight Howard was clowning around after practice Tuesday, throwing around a football that somehow found its way onto the basketball court. And he was dressed for the part wearing kneepads and protective sleeves on his arms.

That sort of body armor and a football mentality might come in handy tonight considering the challenge that lies ahead of the Orlando Magic franchise center.

Not only will Howard be in his customary position of anchoring the Orlando offense, but he will also at times draw the defensive assignment against fellow all-star and Team USA contemporary Chris Bosh.

The two put on a show for the ages when they squared off in Toronto on Feb. 7. Howard made a stunning 13 of 14 shots -- most of them on thunderous dunks -- and scored a career-best 32 points. But Bosh stole Howard's thunder that night raining in one mid-range jumper after another on his way to a career-best 41 points.

And when the game was complete, Howard ventured over to the Toronto locker room and cut short Bosh's postgame interview with reporters for a congratulatory hug.

The two young stars will undoubtedly be linked for years to come because of their age -- Howard is 21, while Bosh is 23 -- but their rivalry is more friendly than hostile. Bosh was a freshman at Georgia Tech when Howard was a senior in high school at Atlanta's Southwest Christian. And the two were extremely tight this summer as they traveled the globe with Team USA while competing in the World Championships.

"We spent a lot of time together playing video games, working on our games and talking about life in the NBA," Howard said. "Back when I was in high school, Georgia Tech was one of my favorite schools and I always thought in the back of my mind that we would be really good together. We like playing against each other, but we also enjoy each other's company."

The Magic (31-37) need a win to stay in the hunt for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. They are in a battle with New Jersey, Indiana and New York for the final two slots.

Orlando hopes to build off the momentum of Sunday's wire-to-wire domination of the Miami Heat, but it would have to buck its hot-and-cold nature of late. Orlando hasn't won consecutive games since Jan. 31-Feb. 2, a span of 21 games.

Bosh and Howard are quite similar in their age and straight-laced demeanors, their games actually differ dramatically. Whereas Howard uses his chiseled 268-pound frame to power his way inside, Bosh's sleek, 230-pound body is geared more for finesse and quickness.

The Magic tried to guard Bosh with Darko Milicic and Bo Outlaw back in February with disastrous results. Not only did he make 13 of 25 shots, he got to the free-throw line 17 times where he made 15 of them. And by the end of the game, one the Raptors won 113-103, most of the fans in Toronto's Air Canada Centre were directing chants of "M-V-P!" toward their franchise player.

"It was a really good game for both of us," Howard remembered. "He was just on fire, shooting the ball so well. That sets up all the rest of his game. You have to respect his jump shot and then he gets you with his quickness."

Bosh played like an MVP back in January, averaging 25.4 points and 9.1 rebounds as the Raptors went 11-5 and took control of the woeful Atlantic Division. As expected, much of the Raptors success is dictated by Bosh's dominance: he's averaged 25.2 points in the games they won, but only 19.7 in the games they lost.

The Magic will attempt to get the ball out of his hands, and might even try to rough him up some by switching the taller and heavier Howard onto him.

"You're not going to double him on the perimeter, and he makes it so hard to guard him on the pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop situations because he's such a good shooter," Magic coach Brian Hill said. "There's no question Dwight and Bosh are already two of the best young players in the league. But whereas (Charlotte's Emeka) Okafor and Dwight's strengths are in their low-post games, Bosh's strength is shooting the ball. They are just such different players."

Contact Denton at jd41898@aol.com

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...03210374/1002/SPORTS

Bargnani is out.

Toronto Star -

Andrea Bargnani will miss a substantial part of the rest of the NBA regular season after having an emergency appendectomy early this morning.

According to various Italian media reports, including the website of La Gazetta dello Sport, the 21-year-old rookie became ill after practice yesterday and had the surgery overnight at a Toronto hospital.

There is no official word from the Raptors on the surgery, or how long Bargnani will be sidelined. Recovery from an appendectomy can generally take between three weeks and a month; the NBA regular season ends April 18.

http://www.thestar.com/article/194369

More good news for us, Calderon is battling an ankle sprain and might still be out for this game. He's missed the Raps' last two games. AND, Anthony Parker is still trying to find his form after recently returning from an injury. His last 2 games have been HORRIBLE and still might not be 100% tonight. All signs are pointing for the Magic to win....which is why I think we lose, lol.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:
All signs are pointing for the Magic to win....which is why I think we lose, lol.

I was thinking the exact same thing...

Ssshhhhhhhhh, don't tell the players this team is beat up or they won't bother to play hard.

I saw this posted earlier but if JJ is the back up to Grant Hill and Hill goes out...will BHill move JJ to starter?? My guess is no however i would love to say yes! I think BHill likes the energy JJ brings off the bench and likes him to be paired up with the defensive minded Dooling. If JJ got the start with Jameer there would not be the strong defense on the floor. Dont get me wrong JJ has more than proved his defense in the NBA but it still doesnt match up to the defense that Hill, Dooling or Bogans brings. With that said i think if GHill goes out a game or so..(and we know it will happen by the end of the season) I think Bogans will get moved up to start leaving JJ right where he is.

quote:
Originally posted by magicdepth:

...if GHill goes out a game or so..(and we know it will happen by the end of the season) I think Bogans will get moved up to start leaving JJ right where he is.

My thoughts exactly.