Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

I'm getting "J.J. Fever"! But, he can't start with Jameer in the backcourt.

There is no earthly reason why Jameer can't be a better defender. He is quick enough on the offensive end to get into the paint fairly easy so it stands to reason that he should be able to keep his man in front of him. Sure his guy will be able to shoot over him but as long as the shot is contested I can live with that.

As far as I'm concerned Jameer's bad defense is almost entirely a lack of effort.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Jameer is short, thats why.

Exactly my thoughts! He's a gnat on Yao and Shaq's kneecaps. He's a defensive liability.

quote:
Originally posted by SpankyRigor:

i hope we make a run at chauncey this summer.. it would ne nice to see jj start alongside chauncey.. he'd be our rip hamilton..

With a bigger and better defensive point guard there's no reason he coudn't start.

And Spanky, with your example given here of Chauncy and Rip is an excellent analogy.

I could definitely see J.J. filling a role for the Magic and running off screens. Here's a quote from him today in the Sentinel:

"I know I'm never going to be Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant, but I also know I can find a spot, a role."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...story?coll=orl-magic

A good article on JJ from Brian Schmidtz today. Just adding it to this thread since it covers the same stuff.

quote:
With everyone else hurrying for the showers and a dash to the airport, where takeoff was scheduled in 90 minutes, Magic guard J.J. Redick still was on the practice court in Maitland on Tuesday, taking a few more shots, making sure the stroke was as fine-tuned as possible.

This is serious now.

Basketball is fun again.

Nine months after he was drafted by Orlando, Redick finally feels like part of the team, like he actually is earning his salary, like there is a purpose to practice again.

If the Magic are going to reach the NBA playoffs for the first time in four seasons, Redick will be a key part of it.

When the Magic play at Toronto tonight, Redick likely will play at least 20 minutes behind Grant Hill. A few plays will be run specifically for him, curling around a double screen for a hopefully open shot. He also will be on the same side of the court as Dwight Howard, just itching to see his defender turn to double-team. If he does, Redick will take him. The game is starting to feel right again.

For the first time this season, Redick now knows he will play. After back-to-back games of at least 10 points, he has given Coach Brian Hill a reason to play him more. And he has shown only a glimpse.

"This is exciting for me now. The NBA is really fun when you're out there competing," he said before leaving for the airport. "I was part of the team earlier, but when you aren't playing, it's like you're on the outside looking in. I just feel more like a part of it now."

Redick came to the Magic as the most recognizable face in the NBA draft after four years at Duke, where he scored 2,769 points, the most in Atlantic Coast Conference history, more than Michael Jordan, Grant Hill or Tim Duncan.

Yet he hardly played for the first three months of the regular season. He missed summer camp because of a herniated disk, then missed most of training camp and the exhibition schedule with a left foot injury.

When the real games began, he was healthy, but he was on the sideline in street clothes -- placed on the inactive list -- and Brian Hill showed no interest in playing him. He was the 14th man on a 12-man roster.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...story?coll=orl-magic

quote:
"He will never start together with Jameer Nelson in the backcourt". And certainly not with a defensive minded coach like Brian Hill. I would venture to say that most coaches wouldn't start the two of them together.

Theoretically, I understand the point you are making.

Theoretically, Vince Carter is a better defender than JJ Redick.

Theoretically, "a defensive minded coach" would never have a lineup with Diener, Arroyo, & Redick on the floor together for extended stretches.

In addition, shot blockers help neutralize defensive liabilities on the perimeter (Paging Darko to starting lineup). Most good teams that aren't dominate defensive teams to begin with have offensive minded starting lineups and bring defensive intensity off the bench.

Until JJ is playing 30+ per night, I would avoid playing him as much as possible with Jameer for a completely different reason.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

Until JJ is playing 30+ per night, I would avoid playing him as much as possible with Jameer for a completely different reason.

Ok, I'll bite. What is the other reason?

Is it because Jameer doesn't pass JJ the ball?

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

Ok, I'll bite. What is the other reason?

Is it because Jameer doesn't pass JJ the ball?

I wasn't trying to be coe, I thought it was obvious. But, yes.

I think if you are going to ever start JJ with Jameer tonight would be a good night to give it a peek. I really like Grant Hill but him playing injured and out of position does nothing to help this team. The Raptors are predicated on depth and run everything through CB4. Their guards are not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination so tonight might be a good time to see what this team has in those 2 together. If Jameer would pass to JJ he would learn about floor spacing. Having JJ always draw a defender reduces double teams on Dwight and allows open driving lanes for him to be more effective.

Its funny how all Sentinal articles sound exactly the same. Its like the writer took a couple of new paragraphs and pasted it onto a old article.

It is good to hear about JJ's work ethic again.