Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

HoopsWorld: A team source says Bogans routinely killed Redick last year in practice

Like Charisma said, JJ isn't a one on one type of player. He's going to get his points coming off of screens and playing off the double teams of his teammates. Granted, Bogans isn't much of a one on one player either but he is several inches taller and much stronger. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Bogans was getting the best of him...especially in JJ's rookie season.

BTW, I wouldn't automatically rule out Bogans getting alot of playing time this year. I think he has alot to offer and the Magic played well with him in the starting lineup last season.

Interesting stuff here, be it rumor or not. If I was a betting man I'd say it is true.

I just wonder where the author's source came from?

It's funny though, the media stated one of the main reasons that Brian Hill was fired was because he wouldn't give J.J. any playing time. You don't suppose Coach Hill started this rumor.....? Nawwwwwwwww!(lol)

Pondering this thread again, Keith Bogans got into Brian Hill's doghouse too so I guess it couldn't have been Brian.

Lastly, I got a feeling that Redick's hand or wrist situation is gonna cause him a setback this camp too. Albeit hopefully a slight one.

Good job Keith Bogans! We need somebody to desperately step up at the shooting guard position. I agree with some earlier poster's. Bogans is a Deshawn Stevenson type. Keith plays that role well and is a better shooter although Deshawn had a great year shooting last season for the Wiz.

It seems to me that someone made many of the same points about Keith Bogans in the "Who will start at SG" thread. Now who was that, oh yes, I believe it was me! Bogans is indeed a DeShawn Stevenson type of player. That is why it was such a battle for a roster spot between them a couple of years ago! As I also said before, Bogans may be the best fit in the starting five. Not necessarily the best player, just the best fit. Better defense than JJ, better shooting offense than Trevor, and a bit bigger than Keyon.

Bogans was brought to O-town to replace d-steve in the lineup,why that didn't happen I have no clue. Oh,I know because our ex coach was a moaran,and thought G- Hill was a shooting guard. I all for K-bo starting,atleast for the beggining of the season,and see how JJ comes along. Bogans is the most complete 2 we got.

I don't doubt it. Why is it so difficult to believe that a five year solid, veteran 2 guard beat a rookie who was set back with injuries?

Keith is a solid player. When he played for us at the two last season, I loved what he brought to the table. It was his decision making, however, that sent him to the bench for good. I wouldn't mind him starting for us, at least early in the season to see what we've got with J.J. and Trevor.

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

none of this matters...cuz AIRIZAs GONNA BE THE STARTING SG!!!

+1...

but if Bogans wins the job out of camp then exactly what he's done is outplay everyone else at the position and deserves to start. The competion we have at the sg and pg positions will only help elevate everyone's game.

I trust Stan.

quote:
Originally posted by Erik:

Bogans was brought to O-town to replace d-steve in the lineup,why that didn't happen I have no clue. Oh,I know because our ex coach was a moaran,and thought G- Hill was a shooting guard. I all for K-bo starting,atleast for the beggining of the season,and see how JJ comes along. Bogans is the most complete 2 we got.

I believe that B. Hill doesn't agree with that signing, because we wants D-steve and probably he wants to portrait Otis like a morron that doesn't know how to evaluated players or talents. You have to remember that B. Hill wants to be the general manager before Otis took it over.

Well I really hope that Bogans was able to dominate redick last year, he had herniated disks in his back, and then a foot injury. that kind of stuff will really slow you down. That really dosen't tell much at all about the current situation, and as others have said before me, this is a team sport, not a one on one sport. Bogans does not, and never will be the shooter redick is, and dosen't have any where near the ability to make players around him better.

Some people think that Bogans is better on Defense, but I am not sure, defense is also played as a team, and more than that I say bogans make plays on D last season, and then take a few plays off, It's much better to be in position all the time, and get burned once in a while, than to make a few great looking plays, and then let 15 points past you.

defense is alot more than just pressuring and trying to take the ball away. many times there are spots on the court you want to push teams away from, and players you will try to force left every time, rather than let them go where they want. I have seen coaching, intellegence, and a good defensive game plan beat many teams that were more physically gifted. Not to say that I think Bogans is much more physical than JJ, cause I think they are very close.

In the end I actually think we will win most games if the other team decides they are going to take jumpshots over JJ's head all night, meanwhile our offense will create a lot of easy buckets this year.

Interesting bit of news there but who knows how credible that is and like people have said already it shouldn't be to surprising Bogans is older, physically bigger and has more NBA playing experience. I think though Redick is a smarter team player which is more important.

That being said with Lewis in town I think Redicks value is diminished just a little at least when it comes to the starting line up especially if you are starting Hedo and Lewis. If thats the case then I think you have enough shooters and start needing to put a little onus on guys who are going to be committed to playing tough defense and not care about the ball much ala Stevenson. If I think I know Van Gundy being a Riley disciple then I can see him possibly starting Bogans over Redick but I honestly put my money on Ariza getting the nod. It just makes sense to have a defensive minded off-guard to start if we don't need a majority of the offense from that position. We need offense to mainly come from Howard and Lewis besides it just makes sense for JJ to come off the bench to me his scoring potential off the bench will be awesome we can make him the focal point of the offense when we take out Lewis and Howard. It also makes me cringe to think of Redick guarding guys like Vince Carter and Lebron James(those guys may be small fowards but you get my point) and other 6'6 and up elite shooting guards. If SVG uses a more traditional line up of say Howard, Battie, Lewis up front then I think Redick has to start which is also a good possibility because another school of thought is you don't want Lewis or Turk natural SF's playing PF. Time will tell boys sorry for making my first post such a long one. I won't post often but I like to read a lot I think everyone has good opinions on here.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfreak#1:

Well I really hope that Bogans was able to dominate redick last year, he had herniated disks in his back, and then a foot injury. that kind of stuff will really slow you down. That really dosen't tell much at all about the current situation, and as others have said before me, this is a team sport, not a one on one sport. Bogans does not, and never will be the shooter redick is, and dosen't have any where near the ability to make players around him better.

Some people think that Bogans is better on Defense, but I am not sure, defense is also played as a team, and more than that I say bogans make plays on D last season, and then take a few plays off, It's much better to be in position all the time, and get burned once in a while, than to make a few great looking plays, and then let 15 points past you.

defense is alot more than just pressuring and trying to take the ball away. many times there are spots on the court you want to push teams away from, and players you will try to force left every time, rather than let them go where they want. I have seen coaching, intellegence, and a good defensive game plan beat many teams that were more physically gifted. Not to say that I think Bogans is much more physical than JJ, cause I think they are very close.

In the end I actually think we will win most games if the other team decides they are going to take jumpshots over JJ's head all night, meanwhile our offense will create a lot of easy buckets this year.

Well said!!! The team's defensive scheme is much, much more important than individual performance on defense. Sure, it's great to have a guy like Ariza who can slow down the Kobes of the NBA, but the team's concept and effort on defense will ultimately decide how good the team is defensively.

SVG is known as a very good defensive coach. That's why I'm not overly concerned about Lewis, Hedo, J.J., and Jameer on defense. Take J.J. for example... no, he won't shut down Kobe Bryant (or any player for that matter), but he's a smart player. He should be able to play good positional defense within the team's defensive game plan.

As long as the effort is there, you can play good team defense. No, you might not be able to stop Kobe Bryant, but does that really matter as long as you stop the team he's playing for?

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

I don't doubt it. Why is it so difficult to believe that a five year solid, veteran 2 guard beat a rookie who was set back with injuries?

Keith is a solid player. When he played for us at the two last season, I loved what he brought to the table. It was his decision making, however, that sent him to the bench for good. I wouldn't mind him starting for us, at least early in the season to see what we've got with J.J. and Trevor.

Yeh I agree. He brings some useful tools. If he can sharpen the aspect of decision making he could prove to be a very useful piece. Be a nice battle in camp. Torrell/Bogans/JJ/Ariza/Dooling.