Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Povtak on PG situation

Tim Povtak was on 740 the team this morning for Keep N Score and was very adamant that this team will be shopping for a new starting PG this summer.

He said Carlos is done with this team and that the only reason he was not demoted earlier was because of his fanbase. Says he will likely be traded this summer.

Also said that Jameer will likely not get an extension this summer. They will let him become a restricted free agent next year instead and let him leave if he does not shape up.

Sounds like the team is using the media to send a message to Jameer.

Tim Povtak was on 740 the team this morning for Keep N Score and was very adamant that this team will be shopping for a new starting PG this summer.

He said Carlos is done with this team and that the only reason he was not demoted earlier was because of his fanbase. Says he will likely be traded this summer.

Also said that Jameer will likely not get an extension this summer. They will let him become a restricted free agent next year instead and let him leave if he does not shape up.

I'm not convinced the Magic will be able to bring in any point guards that are better than Jameer was at the end of last season. I think we'll have to deal with Jameer, and hope he reverts to his old ways. To his credit, last night and in the first half of the Kings game, he looked solid.

More than any other player on the team, Jameer benefits from playing an uptempo game.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

If I not mistaken bhnole, Otis had a long talk with him prior to this announcement. I think it was on the flight back from the last away game. But I agree, they shouldn't make those statements until after the fat lady sings, not when we a chasing N.J and NYK's for the playoffs.

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:

If I not mistaken bhnole, Otis had a long talk with him prior to this announcement. I think it was on the flight back from the last away game. But I agree, they shouldn't make those statements until after the fat lady sings, not when we a chasing N.J and NYK's for the playoffs.

Yea, well Jameer shouldn't have been having his agent talk up contract extensions in the middle of February when he was playing the absolute worst basketball of his career and while his team was free-falling out of the playoffs.

Jameer = Douchebag.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:

Yea, well Jameer shouldn't have been having his agent talk up contract extensions in the middle of February when he was playing the absolute worst basketball of his career and while his team was free-falling out of the playoffs.

Jameer = Douchebag.

Jameer is not a db and that is taking it to far. It is up to every sports agent to maximize their dollars for their client. What do you want him to say. The agent is not going to say yea Jameer has sucked this year so do not worry about a contract I will not even bother you. Its not like he came out and said he could not feed his family ala Sprewell. As for the new starting point guard that is great news but beyond Billups who is out there??

I think the team's talking so much about building around Dwight and Jameer after the Francis trade, went to his head somewhat. Jameer came out of college playing with a chip on his shoulder after being passed over in the draft. But this year he seemed overconfident and lost that aggressiveness and attitude that the team fell in love with.

Then the NBA cracked down on travelling, really messing him up by taking away that devastating first step that he had learned from AI.

I think the team is trying to get him to play pissed off again by letting him know that being Dwight's best bud is not going to guarantee him his starters job and big contract extension.

When Jameer is playing aggresive and his shot is falling (like the Spurs game) he is one hell of player. He needs to earn the right to play with Dwight by being that guy night in and out.

And with Brian Hill being the head coach, I really couldn't see Travis being back next year, right? So they will have to use Dooling as the back-up PG to the new starting one if they go that route..

quote:

I think the team's talking so much about building around Dwight and Jameer after the Francis trade, went to his head somewhat. Jameer came out of college playing with a chip on his shoulder after being passed over in the draft. But this year he seemed overconfident and lost that aggressiveness and attitude that the team fell in love with.

Then the NBA cracked down on travelling, really messing him up by taking away that devastating first step that he had learned from AI.

I think the team is trying to get him to play pissed off again by letting him know that being Dwight's best bud is not going to guarantee him his starters job and big contract extension.

When Jameer is playing aggresive and his shot is falling (like the Spurs game) he is one hell of player. He needs to earn the right to play with Dwight by being that guy night in and out.

I'm not sure people want me agreeing with them around here, but I couldn't agree more with you, bhnole.

Thanks for the scoop Bhnole! This situation is gonna be very interesting this summer.

I can't believe Povtak said the Magic are gonna be shopping for a point guard.

Who and how would we get anybody decent?