LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Embiid looks great. Smart is very likable but can't shoot at all. Ugghh. Meanwhile, Wiggins is Casper the friendly ghost out there on some nights. And Parker is Melo 2.0. At this point, I think the #1 pick is between Embiid and Parker.

Soul's latest board:

1. Embiid

2. Parker

3. Wiggins/Exum

4. Wiggins/Exum

5. Smart

Wiggins' PER and WS/48 are now practically identical to Harrison Barnes' in college.

I don't think he'll be as mediocre as Barnes since he's a better on the ball but I think there's a considerable chance he'll be nothing more than a good role player in the NBA.

Wiggins' PER and WS/48 are now practically identical to Harrison Barnes' in college.

I don't think he'll be as mediocre as Barnes since he's a better on the ball but I think there's a considerable chance he'll be nothing more than a good role player in the NBA.

Here's the thing, is Wiggins' usage rate the same as that of Barnes' his freshman year?

They're entire stat lines are similar also. Wiggins' value, to me, lies in the fact that he's a great athlete and defensive player.

Here's the thing, is Wiggins' usage rate the same as that of Barnes' his freshman year?

Wiggins USG is 24.6%, Barnes as a freshman had 26.6% USG. Those numbers aren't worlds apart.

They're entire stat lines are similar also. Wiggins' value, to me, lies in the fact that he's a great athlete and defensive player.

Wiggins USG is 24.6%, Barnes as a freshman had 26.6% USG. Those numbers aren't worlds apart.

Interesting. I personally believe Wiggins projects more to be like Tracy or this guy: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/fresno-state/paul-george

Wiggins' ceiling is far too high to fall below the top 3 on our big board. A big part of him being a "ghost" yesterday was the fact that he played his season low in minutes and also wasn't getting many opportunities during his time on the court. I know there are concerns about his killer instinct, but don't place too much emphasis on yesterday's game.

As far as Smart is concerned, I have no idea how to rate him as a prospect. He can't shoot, makes poor decisions regularly, and would be the worst flopper in the NBA if he was currently in the league. He is also a terror defensively, an amazing rebounder for his position, and routinely gets good shots for his teammates. I'm so unsure of what to think of him that I don't know how to interpret his performance yesterday... was he great because he was 1 assist shy of a triple double even when it felt like he was having a bad game? Or was he bad because his stats felt empty, his shooting was atrocious (3-14 FG, 0-6 3P), and the thing that caught my eye the most was how many times he flopped? The one thing I feel fairly certain about regarding Smart is that he would be bad on THIS team, and drafting him would really crush the rebuild.

Interesting. I personally believe Wiggins projects more to be like Tracy or this guy: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/fresno-state/paul-george

Paul George has a tighter handle, a better shot and a more killer instinct than Wiggins. Believe me, PG was the comparison I was making for Wiggins as well but yesterdays game was probably the biggest of the season thus far for Kansas (a top 10 team in conference play) and Wiggins was a no show. It's not like he has anybody to blame either, Tarik Black scored 8 points in 9 minutes yesterday by cutting off the ball and getting open around the basket. Wiggins just stood on the perimeter and either passed the ball, jacked up a three or drove to the hoop (did so 2 or 3 times, one of which was a turnover) where he was unable to score against a team without any NBA sized bigs.

Wiggins' ceiling is far too high to fall below the top 3 on our big board. A big part of him being a "ghost" yesterday was the fact that he played his season low in minutes and also wasn't getting many opportunities during his time on the court. I know there are concerns about his killer instinct, but don't place too much emphasis on yesterday's game.

As far as Smart is concerned, I have no idea how to rate him as a prospect. He can't shoot, makes poor decisions regularly, and would be the worst flopper in the NBA if he was currently in the league. He is also a terror defensively, an amazing rebounder for his position, and routinely gets good shots for his teammates. I'm so unsure of what to think of him that I don't know how to interpret his performance yesterday... was he great because he was 1 assist shy of a triple double even when it felt like he was having a bad game? Or was he bad because his stats felt empty, his shooting was atrocious (3-14 FG, 0-6 3P), and the thing that caught my eye the most was how many times he flopped? The one thing I feel fairly certain about regarding Smart is that he would be bad on THIS team, and drafting him would really crush the rebuild.

Wiggins played a season low in minutes for a reason.

Smart was awesome yesterday. His shooting was horrible and remains a massive concern but he could have had 13 or 14 assists if the shots had fallen. Had 10 boards, 4 steals and shot 10-10 at the line. He flops yes, but no way would he be the worst in the NBA, not a chance. And honestly If someone is going to shoot FT's for flopping I'd rather it be our player than the opposing team. He's also a great leader, Travis Ford was horrible yesterday just letting his players do stupid stuff and get T-ed up and if it weren't for Smart they'd have lost more players. At one point he actually had to cover LeBryan Nash's mouth to stop him getting a T. He fired his team up when he needed to and they almost pulled off a comeback.

I do however kind of agree, I don't see how he fits on this team. He and Oladipo have similar weaknesses (shooting, turnovers) and pairing them together doesn't seem wise unless you plan on bringing one of them off the bench.

I'm giving Wiggins some grace. Dude looked insane the last game

Yup. Consistency.

We've seen a common theme. Wiggins early foul trouble equals him checking out mentally.

Yup. Consistency.

We've seen a common theme. Wiggins early foul trouble equals him checking out mentally.

That's a bit what scares me. This kid has so much talent that even when he checks out he should be the number one threat on the floor. T-Mac could check out and still drop 30 points. Wiggins checks out and he actually becomes a hindrance to his team.

That's a bit what scares me. This kid has so much talent that even when he checks out he should be the number one threat on the floor. T-Mac could check out and still drop 30 points. Wiggins checks out and he actually becomes a hindrance to his team.

His not t-mac but neither was tracy mcgrady at that age.