LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I'd rather have luol deng than parsons.

as a bulls fan... that loves deng... you're crazy dude. If you've got a chance to grab an all-arounder like parsons at his age you've gotta do it.

Man, another post that tells you everything you need to know...Or in this case, hear, lol...Bet Hennigan didn't help them sell any season tickets last night !

Lastly, Nyce is a good friend of mine....Haven't seen him post for a while....Never seen a guy so enamored with a player (Exum) like he was....I bet he is physically and mentally sick right about now, lol.

I was at a wedding last night, so missed the entire draft. I was crushed we passed on Exum, but glad it was for Gordon, my 2nd fav player in this draft. AG reminds me of Joakim Noah, and that's a great type of player to have on a championship team. My favorite part of his game is he LOVES to defend, rebound, and PASS. He's going to make everyone better. The shooting isn't a problem with me because he seems like the type of player to live in the gym to get it to a consistent level.

Payton was my 2nd fav PG in the draft. Hated giving up assets in a trade for him, but that's the cost of business when other teams are trying to get the same player.

Overall, I'd say Rob gets a B+/A- with the draft. I'm happy with the potential and see what type of team we're building; high IQ, defensive, hard work. Reminds me of the Bulls a few yrs ago and I see Matt Lloyd's footprint all over the roster. If I lived in Orlando, I'd certainly have season tix. I trust Rob & Co. 100%.

Afflalo/Fournier: At first, I thought we'd get more for Aaron, but I like Fournier. His rookie year, I saw flashes of Ginobli, but felt not all Euro's live up to the hype. He's certainly gotten better and more consistent in 2 years and so glad we have him. He's already a better playmaker than Afflalo and doesn't have that me-me-me game. He's a total team player, good & willing passer, hard worker, competitor, and compliments our roster very well. Payton/Oladipo/Fournier is a high-potential guard rotation and allows us to be versatile in our lineups. Fournier will unquestionably be our Ginobli and won't be surprised if he wins a 6th man of the year award.

I love this roster and can't wait to see them play throughout the year.

Payton/Jameer/Price

Oladipo/Fournier/Lamb

Harris/Harkless

Gordon/Nicholson

Vucevic/O'Quinn/Dedmon

P.S. I'm having a boy!

• Upvote 2

I've been as high on exum as anyone but I also like Payton (just not as much as exum). I think he's a carbon copy of Smart.

When you look at the guys who immediately trailed pick 12 I think I'd rather have Gordon and Payton than exum and one of Saric/lavine/warren/payne/nurkic.

Pretty much this. The package we got was better than anything we could have gotten with Exum.

This team could be wreaking havoc on defense for several years with Payton, Oladipo and Gordon, you could even throw Harkless in there too. So much length, athleticism, versatility, lateral quickness and hustle.

His three point shooting is acceptable, his shooting overall is far from "fantastic". I'm not saying he won't get better, but I think you're overselling him a bit. The threshold for "fantastic" shooting should be a lot higher than 42 percent.

He is 21. You have to see the potential and not just look at a stat that is representative of a year in which he got sporadic PT.

I don't believe I am overselling this guy. I think he has the skills to be an ideal 6th man for us.

And I don't want Deng. He doesn't want to be here, is going to get overpaid and is basically like Afflalo all over again.

Parsons is a young, fills our needs to the T, has a story here and can sell some tickets due to it.

Furthermore, he will help take the pressure off of Gordon since he will be able to keep the floor spread.

It is probably a good thing that the vibe I get while watching Payton play defense is the exact opposite of the vibe I got watching Otto Porter last year.

It is probably a good thing that the vibe I get while watching Payton play defense is the exact opposite of the vibe I got watching Otto Porter last year.

Payton looks so much quicker than Marcus Smart to me. His range on defense is amazing. He's definitely going to irritate a lot of PG's.

Payton playing defense is incredible. You wonder where he gets that energy, but he brings it - 100% every time.

This is the stuff we were clamoring for when the Celtics eliminated us from the playoffs. Remember that? Looked like our team had quit and the C's were just all over us physically.

I'm starting to see Gordon. I still would rather they had got Smart at 4, but I get Gordon the more I think about it. Put ten pounds on this guy and he does remind me a bit of a twisted mix of Blake Griffin and Dennis Rodman. I get that he has a great Ball IQ, passes really well for a big (which is my litmus test for successful bigs), handles the ball really well for a big, and is so athletic its silly. The ball handling and passing are what make me think he can be more than just Kenneth Faried 2.0 on offense. He doesn't seem to be much of a shot-blocker, but his defense fits this team. I doubt seriously he'll ever be a 20-point a night guy, or ever more than 15. My guess is he peaks as a 15-8-4 type who does a lot of the little things that help a team win. Is that worth the 4th pick in this draft? I don't know. Maybe I'm selling him short offensively. maybe there's more "young 'Tawn Jamison' in him than I'm giving him credit for - he does finish really well like 'Tawn. Maybe his FT shooting really will get better. I don't know how you shoot nearly as well from 3 as from the FT line. His shot doesn't look Bo Outlaw busted or anything.

This team could be wreaking havoc on defense for several years with Payton, Oladipo and Gordon, you could even throw Harkless in there too. So much length, athleticism, versatility, lateral quickness and hustle.

And the main thing here is that this kind of defense can not be taught - whereas shooting can.

We have to remember the pattern with Henny moves. Everyone goes WTF!!! and then a year later says "wow, great move."

I mean did anyone think Vucivic was going to be this good the day of the Dwight trade?

• Upvote 2

I'm starting to see Gordon. I still would rather they had got Smart at 4, but I get Gordon the more I think about it. Put ten pounds on this guy and he does remind me a bit of a twisted mix of Blake Griffin and Dennis Rodman. I get that he has a great Ball IQ, passes really well for a big (which is my litmus test for successful bigs), handles the ball really well for a big, and is so athletic its silly. The ball handling and passing are what make me think he can be more than just Kenneth Faried 2.0 on offense. He doesn't seem to be much of a shot-blocker, but his defense fits this team. I doubt seriously he'll ever be a 20-point a night guy, or ever more than 15. My guess is he peaks as a 15-8-4 type who does a lot of the little things that help a team win. Is that worth the 4th pick in this draft? I don't know. Maybe I'm selling him short offensively. maybe there's more "young 'Tawn Jamison' in him than I'm giving him credit for - he does finish really well like 'Tawn. Maybe his FT shooting really will get better. I don't know how you shoot nearly as well from 3 as from the FT line. His shot doesn't look Bo Outlaw busted or anything.

Yes to feel a lot better about this pick, go look at Noah's stats this year.

And then go look at the All-Star roster.

And the main thing here is that this kind of defense can not be taught - whereas shooting can.

We have to remember the pattern with Henny moves. Everyone goes WTF!!! and then a year later says "wow, great move."

I mean did anyone think Vucivic was going to be this good the day of the Dwight trade?

I did with Vuc. Only because he actually played in college and moved a lot better than many of the stiffs I'm used to seeing.

Though I thought it'd take him a few more years to get this good.