LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I disagree...it's building from the ground up. You're not going to be able to successfully rebuild by throwing money at players (unless you can do what the Heat did) because it doesnt always work like that.

The only go to guy that the Spurs had was Timmy...after that everyone who is key (kawhi, Parker, Manu) was drafted and viewed as a role player initially. But they made it work because they put TEAM over STAR. That's how you get 5 championships in 15 years. That's how basketball should be played. That appears the way we are doing it and I love it. Get maybe one big guy with free agency but build a team not depend on a player

I believe in Henny and this plan. Lets go!

Tim Duncan is literally the best player ever at his position

Comparatively we have...Oladipo?

The people saying that they want Otis back don't remember the Phoenix trade

In case my post wasn't obvious, mine was a joke. I absolutely hate the pick and hate passing on Exum, but I don't want Otis back.

There were 2 go to guys and they went 1 and 2. We can get ours in Free Agency 2015. Gordon is not just a role player unless you consider Sean Marion to be just a role player. He was a key piece in winning a ring for the Mavericks and a multiple all-star.

The reality is that we may have a fusion of Blake Griffin and Marion now, and last time I checked, the Clippers built from that and got their star in free agency as a result.

Since we couldn't trade up and get wiggins, we went BPA. Guys like Gordon make us a much better team for many reasons. The main one is defense. But this guy is no role player. I think he is an all-star in the NBA. At PF I loved him and Vonleh, and I think gordon instantly makes an impact for our team.

Not sure who we were supposed to get at pick 4 in your opinion, but I think Payton at 12 makes sense. He was Rob's favorite PG or we would have taken Smart or Exum.

So we got the best PG in the draft (in the magics opinion since they could have grabbed any of them) and the best PF in the draft as well.

They could have traded down and picked up Gordon. C'mon... a fusion of Blake Griffin and Shawn Marion? The guy is a poor rebounder, no offensive game, and is a poor free throw shooter. His offensive moves are horrible and have no flow. He will be a liability and will be sitting many 4th quarters. You know what? At least we will be bringing the slam dunk title back to Orlando.

Think it's not a good idea to build in the Spurs mold and we should stop using them as an example. They are unique in the history of the NBA and an outlier. Their whole system is predicated on having the best coach in the modern era. If Vaughn coached the Spurs this year, do they make the playoffs? (Really think about that).

Otherwise, you need the best players to compete for titles. The team comes together later.

Exum has a chance to be one of those players; Gordon does not to me. You can find athletic but offensively unskilled power forwards pretty easily.

Love that we got Payton, and that saved the draft a bit, but struggling to score is more then just an existential problem in the NBA.

Also, we didn't trade much to get the 10th pick, we couldn't have done something similar and gotten Vonleh at the 9th?

Does Exum/Vonleh or Exum/Payne sound better then Payton/Gordon? I think so.

Hope Im proven wrong.

Chad Ford:

The most impressive workout I've seen this draft season came from Payton on Thursday. He has the least exposure of any of the prospects here -- but has as much or more talent as anyone on the floor. Payton had a big year, averaging 19.2 points, 5.9 assists, 2.3 steals and an incredible 8.9 free throws per game -- good for second in the country. Very few players possess his combination of size, quickness, defensive toughness and ability to get to the rim. I've had more than one NBA scout compare him to a young Gary Payton, and I think the comparison is a really good one.

http://insider.espn....0/elfrid-payton

• Upvote 2

Tim Duncan is literally the best player ever at his position

Comparatively we have...Oladipo?

Who should we have taken at 4 that would be the best player ever at his position?

Would people be happier if we took Payton at 4 and Gordon at 10 or 12?

It's the end result that is most important and we accomplished a lot today.

We made it possible to move VO5 to his natural position and with lots of minutes available

We got our PG of the future

We got a PF that can cover some of Vuc's weakness on D

We have a ton of cap space

We picked up a shooter that just might be a hidden gem

It doesn't matter which order things occurred, the results are exactly the positions I hoped we'd fill. Maybe not the same players, but close enough!

How do you know Payton is our PG in the future? How do you know Gordon even starts? Who in sam hell are you going to sign this off season with the cap space? I mean, I HOPE Gordon will turn out like Marion but how in the hell do I know that'll happen?

OPP Evals on Gordon and how he would fit with Orlando...

He's the only player in the draft who can run a pick-and-roll, be the screener on the pick-and-roll, and defend both spots. At Arizona, he guarded all five positions depending on the opponent's lineup. That ability gives a coach a ton of flexibility on defense, if one of his guys can defend such a variety of spots. His defensive statistics (.09 steals, one block) aren't that impressive, but I'm convinced that they would be higher in a different system. Sean Miller-coached teams play a strict back-line defense and they don't gamble for steals or blocks. They are disciplined, planted, and in the right spots. If Gordon were given the freedom to roam and gamble more, he would have had better numbers on this end.

The problem with Gordon is that his jumper is awful. He's even said that during the season his three-point, mid-range shot, and free throw were all different forms. That's the first time I've heard anyone admit they have that problem. He's a very underrated ballhandler and passer, though, and I think those skills are strong enough that he won't be an absolute minus on offense, but defenses are going to sag way off him and beg him to shoot. I mean.. ... We could line up OPP users on either side and run sprints in between where Gordon is and where his defender is playing. NBA defenses will not be afraid to defend Gordon this way until he proves he can at least threaten to knock down outside shots.

Gordon is a very good passer for his size, he's active on the offensive glass (10.4 percent), and he can defend several different positions. He's a bouncy athlete with the skill to play in transition either on the wing or as a ballhandler.

But any team drafting him will have to decide whether he can develop his jumper and whether he'll improve as a free throw shooter. He's still only 18 years old so there's hope for his shot to improve, but it's going to take patience and a lot of work. The team that drafts Gordon would be wise to study what the San Antonio Spurs did to improve Kawhi Leonard's shot coming out of college and duplicate that process.

Potential fit in Orlando:

As much as I like the versatility Gordon brings to the table, and that he's only 18, he would be a very awkward fit for Orlando. The Magic have struggled spacing the floor over the last two years and Gordon would just add those struggles. He isn't a good enough back-to-the-basket player to bring immediate scoring like Randle, and he doesn't project in the same mold that Vonleh does.

Now, if he slipped to No. 12, which I don't think he will, then sure, Orlando can afford to grab him. He could play reserve minutes as a versatile, pace-changing defender and stay on the bench until his shot develops. But I wouldn't reach for him at No. 4, not with the roster Orlando is working with.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/6/14/5806830/2014-nba-draft-scouting-report-noah-vonley-julius-randle-orlando-magic

They could have traded down and picked up Gordon. C'mon... a fusion of Blake Griffin and Shawn Marion? The guy is a poor rebounder, no offensive game, and is a poor free throw shooter. His offensive moves are horrible and have no flow. He will be a liability and will be sitting many 4th quarters. You know what? At least we will be bringing the slam dunk title back to Orlando.

I tend to agree. Was not impressed with his skill set in the NCAA tourney.

Hurts that we tanked the 2013-14 season to get him.

He is not a poor rebounder at all LOL You don't even know what you are saying at this point.

Read this

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/233854/Draft-Report-Aaron-Gordon-Of-Arizona

• Upvote 1

They could have traded down and picked up Gordon.

Not true. Rumor had Utah taking him at 5. (Check Draftexpress mock right before 7 pm).