LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

He's 19. His BBall IQ is as good as Dwight's was, who was described by Greg Popovich and SVG as having a very high BBall IQ.

He is a raw talent. We have said that for a while. But every elite player in this draft is besides Parker.

C'mon Cat, you're better than that. Dwight's basketball IQ now is about the same as it was as an 18 yr old. I mean we're talking about a guy who still brings the ball down for the big dunk wind-up, allowing it to get stripped or himself to get fouled, instead of keeping the ball above his head and making layups. Not sure citing Dwight's basketball IQ is helping your argument is my point.

I see a lot of potential with Von. My biggest issue is his hops, as he seems to play rather flat.

That's my issue too but then I remember Tim Duncan (although TD is a bit taller) and Chris Webber who was athletic enough but not uber athletic and wasn't a black hole. Which leads to another issue I have. He's young and raw. I don't see an immediate impact from this selection.

C'mon Cat, you're better than that. Dwight's basketball IQ now is about the same as it was as an 18 yr old. I mean we're talking about a guy who still brings the ball down for the big dunk wind-up, allowing it to get stripped or himself to get fouled, instead of keeping the ball above his head and making layups. Not sure citing Dwight's basketball IQ is helping your argument is my point.

Agree. Dwight's bball IQ is very low. Still relies on his athleticism and even then doesn't always utilizes it consistently.

Can't link atm because I'm on phone but the Magic are working out Andre Dawkins soon apparently. He'll be another candidate for UFA.

I see a lot of potential with Von. My biggest issue is his hops, as he seems to play rather flat.

He looks awkward almost every time he jumps in the video. I didn't see him do anything in the video that lots of other PFs can't do. I don't watch college ball except March madness so I really haven't seen much of what he does. So far I haven't been upset with anything Henny has done so I will stay confident that he does his homework and picks the best players for us!

is it bad that when watching vonleh move in that video I am reminded of our own Andrew Nicholson?

Yeah, that's not good. My concern is that I'm not convinced he's going to be the rim protector we need on defense and, if he's not, then why are we passing up on a better potential talent in Exum? If Henny feels he must get a PF than use AA, future picks, etc. and try to move into the 7,8, or 9 slots for Gordon or Randle who are arguable just as good as Vonleh.

is it bad that when watching vonleh move in that video I am reminded of our own Andrew Nicholson?

Nope. He reminds me a lot of him. Maybe a bit more defensive but yeah, looks just like him.

I really wish we could trade up. I'm still not thrilled with any prospects outside of the Top 3.

PELTON'S WARP RANKINGS:

http://insider.espn....ection-rankings

That list is rather … unimpressive. (Or perhaps Pelton's WARP analysis is unimpressive … hmmm)

EDIT: Referencing last year, Noel's WARP was ranked #1 at 3.6 and Porter was ranked #2 at 2.7. (Obviously both fought the injury bug and its implications).

I like his WARP for players who have played a couple seasons of college ball but it gets hard when comparing Exums Fiba U19 numbers and a lot of one and done kids.

I think we both know that last name on the list is way over rated :tongue:

Nope. He reminds me a lot of him. Maybe a bit more defensive but yeah, looks just like him.

I really wish we could trade up. I'm still not thrilled with any prospects outside of the Top 3.

I see some of the Professor in him, too, which is worrisome. Although he is only 18, has a better handle and can shoot long range. But in game action his lift is low and lateral movement seems slow.

I still think all the Vonleh noise is smoke screen to keep teams from trading up to take our real target.

I'm just curious (and I have neither the time nor the inclination to back-check the multitude of pages here for the answer):

Why is no one else high on Marcus Smart? Is it just because he's a sophomore rather than a freshman? Is all the promise he showed as a freshman suddenly gone? Because it looks to me like he improved everything but his jump shot to an elite level (and there's still time for that J).