LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Is it me or does Saric now sound like a stud? If it weren't for the reported issues about his flakiness I could see him fighting Vonleh for top PF.

I agree with this.

These are some nuggets from OKC's exit interviews form one of their local writers. If we can grab one of the top 3, how would you feel about making a run for Jackson this summer?

Well after reading those comments, Jackson isn't going to end up re-signing with them unless he's promised the starting PG role. Be it with the Magic or someone else, I expect Jackson to be on a new team by this summer or the trade deadline.

RE: the Randle/Griffin comparison.

Combine numbers, in my opinion, are wholly inaccurate when it comes to in game play. Like, does anybody in their right mind believe that Doug McDermott actually has a better max vertical than Blake Griffin? Because he does according to the combine measurements.

Shane Larkin is also the most athletic player in last year's draft class according to combine measurements.

Shane Larkin is also the most athletic player in last year's draft class according to combine measurements.

he was hurt for most of last year in dallas

I think Reggie Jackson makes sense if the Magic don't grab Exum because Parker or Wiggins falls to them.

If Parker falls, the Magic can trade for 9 and get Gordon or Randle or Vonleh (whomever is left) and then use 12 on Saric - we have a serious stew brewing.

Saric would basically be our Ginobli whenever he came over. He comes off the bench and plays the 3 or 4 depending on the matchup. Our front court would go from thin to loaded in no time.

You are looking at a potential core starting 5 of Jackson/Dipo/Parker/Gordon/Vuc with a bench of Jameer/Harkless/Harris/Saric/Oquinn.

With that bench being able to fill in the gaps for Gordon and Parker being rooks and inexperienced, the Magic could be in the playoffs rather soon if Saric comes over this season.

The scenario where it makes even better sense to gamble on Saric is if we get Wiggins.

Wiggins would start in the lineup at SF initially, but transition to SG and Oladipo would have to develop at PG more.

If you get Saric and he comes over, you don't need Reggie Jackson. You could roll out Dipo/Wiggins/Saric/Gordon/Vuc and my god that could be scary as all hell to defend against, especially once Gordon gets some offense going.

Gordon is key IMO because he will be a huge help defender for the SFs.

Is Reggie a restricted FA? How much do y'all think he's worth on the market?

He'll be a RFA in 2015. Right now, I'd throw MLE at his potential as a starter. When he shows more next season, I wouldn't be surprised if he moved to the $6.5-$8/yr range.

He'll be a RFA in 2015. Right now, I'd throw MLE at his potential as a starter. When he shows more next season, I wouldn't be surprised if he moved to the $6.5-$8/yr range.

Ahh.. Yeah, he'd be worth around that with potential to grow. If OKC is smart they run a Jackson/Westbrook/Durant/Ibaka/Center that doesn't suck line up and fix their bench depth that absolutely killed them in the playoffs. They were playing 4 on 5 at the end of the Spurs series

RE: the Randle/Griffin comparison.

Combine numbers, in my opinion, are wholly inaccurate when it comes to in game play. Like, does anybody in their right mind believe that Doug McDermott actually has a better max vertical than Blake Griffin? Because he does according to the combine measurements.

Right, its important to keep perspective when crunching the numbers. The point for comparing the two was to show how similar Randle is from an athletic perspective, not how he would play in comparison to Griffin at the NBA level-completely different players. One cannot say Randle is 'terrible' at things when they equate well to the antithesis of terrible, that is all.

As far as McD goes, you never know, It's not part of his game to fly but he can jump-that's for sure. I wouldn't expect oops to come his way but he will get some open court flushes.

I would rather have Parker than Wiggins, so this would be great.

It's not unfortunate at all.

Also, not a given since no one knows for sure that Philly would take Wiggins over Parker.

• Upvote 1