LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Murphy13 and HeHateMe are actually right on point with their arguments.

Couldn't agree more….But that should be what this forum is for….Reading everyone's different perspective on things….Human beings will never all think alike.

And as you can see the different opinion's on who or what Henny should do are very much a wide variety !

• Upvote 1

What would draft day have to do with the statement? Further, is that really a good thing: I stopped reading bc I didn't have the same belief as you? Kinda small, don't you think?

Also, the part about it being common belief means that it's evident from multiple sources, so I wouldn't really be wrong, although if it turned out to be the case I would take ownership. It really is a wide belief though.

I will have to admit that I did read the rest of your post and you made a lot of valid points. I agree that Randle is not a terrible pick as Bauncy said, but when a person tries to validate their opinion with what multiple sources say,as you claim without naming them, it just doesn't fly because there are just as many multiple sources that say the opposite. It all boils down to opinions. If it was clear cut and obvious, we would already know who is going to picked and in what order. I don't think that Bauncy's opinion is correct, but maybe it is. I don't think your opinion is right, but maybe it is. That's just my opinion.

Murphy, where are you seeing he's a sure pick? The ESPN crew has concerns, comparing him to Brandon Bass and Corliss Williamson (http://insider.espn....tock-pro-future). Furthermore, while I like his motor and athletic testing, he played below the rim at UK. I'd love to love him but I just don't.

To be fair, I'm not fully sold on any of the PFs. I like Gordon later at #12 because of his defense and team ball, which we desperately need.

Soul, to be clear in the context I equate the terms 'surest' and 'safest' as synonymous. With that said, Chad Ford has said so much in one of his chats that I know of... also at a couple links that not only mention that, but other positive (and negative) aspects of his game that are overlooked by some and some that are out in the open-like his propensity for lefty release. If for no other reason they break him down good and bad:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24513901/julius-randles-tournament-run-shows-his-nba-readiness

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/5/29/5756322/julius-randle-scouting-report-nba-draft-2014

http://fansided.com/2014/04/23/2014-nba-draft-3-reasons-julius-randle-ready-pros-video/

Also, Alex Kennedy had a decent article today about this stuff as well but focuses on his readiness and specifically mentions how Bauncey's original comments were all incorrect-literally addressing each of them.

Take these fwiw, I have heard it from other sources over time as well but I hate Dr. Google so I stopped looking.

However, on a somewhat related note...interesting source : http://hoop-math.com/Indiana2014.php breaks down analytics that are useful. For example, Vonleh only converted 59% of his field goals around the rim despite his size advantage over others, while Randle converted 70% and Gordon 72% (sample size differential though) respectively. I bring this up bc someone/body was trying to argue who was best around the rim or something. Gordon clearly had Vonleh beat but came in closely to Randle. Also, Vonleh had a respectable TS% of 60 vs 56.6 for Randle (although Vonleh had 50% of the sample size Randle did) and Gordon was a deplorable 50% for a big. Defensive measures are team-based, so of little interest.

Lastly, in the cbs article I believe, it showed that Randle received far and away the most double and triple teams in college basketball this year.

Baa, I forgot to add the comp piece...

This is MAINLY my perspective (although you will see these names mentioned in various outlets as well) as to what I consider to be more accurate comps for him: Derrick Coleman, Larry Johnson, Zach Randolph. Randle is lighter on his feet than these guys were though, for example, equaling Blake Griffin's measurements across the board from a few years ago...though Randle appears to be faster.

Murphy, the part about Randle being constantly double and triple teamed is a great point….Being a big UK fan I can vouch for that….Randle learning how to make wise choices when this happened was one of the biggest reasons UK turned it around in the post-season.

Changing the subject to the Austrailian wonder boy….We have approximately 3 1/2 weeks until the draft…I know Smart was one of the 1st guys Henny had in for an interview/workout.

Anybody heard anything about if or when Exum will visit ???

• Upvote 1

Baa, I forgot to add the comp piece...

This is MAINLY my perspective (although you will see these names mentioned in various outlets as well) as to what I consider to be more accurate comps for him: Derrick Coleman, Larry Johnson, Zach Randolph. Randle is lighter on his feet than these guys were though, for example, equaling Blake Griffin's measurements across the board from a few years ago...though Randle appears to be faster.

The reason why Blake Griffin is so good though is because he can jump out of the building (and has a PG in Chris Paul to help get him the ball in a consistent position to score).

Murph, good posts. My guess is Randle ends up with Utah, as he'd be a good match next to Favors' defense.

Junkie, I'll also say the PG play and outside shooting for UK was beyond horrible until the tournament. It will be interesting to see Randle with a decent PG and spacing.

The reason why Blake Griffin is so good though is because he can jump out of the building (and has a PG in Chris Paul to help get him the ball in a consistent position to score).

Well then by similar logic shouldn't Randle be considered nearly as enticing a prospect since his jumping is literally the same as Griffin's was?

No, a 6'11" wingspan is horrible for a PF unless you're ultra skilled like Kevin Love or Blake Griffin aka what Randle isn't. Why are people literally making things up about this guy. Randle was bad the whole season but had a decent tournament run and got his stock inflated. He's small, unathletic, has a busted jumper and zero defensive instincts. He isn't worth a Top 10 pick. He played okay vs. bad defenses and was terrible against good defenses and his flaws will be magnified against the bigger more athletic NBA.

Why are you even wasting time defending this guy, the Magic don't need him or have interest in him (thankfully).