LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

KD and Anthony Davis

I still believe that we save the money to pay our players once they are up on their rookie deals. We don't want to sign other good players to long-term deals and then make it impossible to sign the likes of Oladipo, Harris, and Vuc in the next 1-3 years.

If we could get KD though, I'm obviously all of giving him the max deal. It's probably a pipe dream though. I think Parsons is the only person we really chase this off season. That or a no-name 22 year old none of us have ever heard of who ends up becoming a brilliant role player on the team.

I still believe that we save the money to pay our players once they are up on their rookie deals. We don't want to sign other good players to long-term deals and then make it impossible to sign the likes of Oladipo, Harris, and Vuc in the next 1-3 years.

If we could get KD though, I'm obviously all of giving him the max deal. It's probably a pipe dream though. I think Parsons is the only person we really chase this off season. That or a no-name 22 year old none of us have ever heard of who ends up becoming a brilliant role player on the team.

You do realize that Parsons is nothing more than a 4th banana on a title team, right? (per Dom). Heck, we might have to pay him 2 million more than what we are paying Jameer this year, or 3 million more than what we aren't paying Afflalo. In other words, I agree.

You do realize that Parsons is nothing more than a 4th banana on a title team, right? (per Dom). Heck, we might have to pay him 2 million more than what we are paying Jameer this year, or 3 million more than what we aren't paying Afflalo. In other words, I agree.

But building a complete team is not done that way. Parsons does more than be a "4th banana". On the Magic he spaces the floor and is staring at uncontested 3s all game because we have guys who can penetrate and draw double teams. He makes the Magic very difficult to defend and spreads the floor.

I don't think anyone believe he will be a super star, but a shooter at SF would open up the floor for the other guys to flourish.

I'm with you. I think Hennigan has clearly either decided that he has his mind set on a specific free future free agent star, or he wants to build a TEAM around what he has now. Understand what the Bad Boy Pistons did, what the newer Pistons did, even how San Antonio won this past year: those were teams that had, for the most part, been together for years. I really am convinced Oladipo is an All-Star, if not this year then the next, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Rob just let this team gel this year and see what he has. We've seen that building a team by getting a superstar fails as often as it succeeds. The Lakers got Dwight Howard, the best center in the league, and got worse. The Knicks got Amare Stoudemire AND Carmelo Anthony, and they suck. The Nets got Deron Williams (certainly a borderline superstar at the time), paired him up with a bunch of talented, playoff-experienced veterans who were getting their own teams into the playoffs already, and they haven't been good enough for a home playoff series. Despite what the stars are trying to convince everyone, this league is not so much about getting stars, but building a TEAM. Why did Miami lose this Finals? They lost because they stopped playing as a team. If Rob sees a perfect free agent, I'm sure he'll do his best to go out and get him. otherwise, I think he will stick to the obvious plan of building a team that plays together with fire and intelligence and athleticism.

But building a complete team is not done that way. Parsons does more than be a "4th banana". On the Magic he spaces the floor and is staring at uncontested 3s all game because we have guys who can penetrate and draw double teams. He makes the Magic very difficult to defend and spreads the floor.

I don't think anyone believe he will be a super star, but a shooter at SF would open up the floor for the other guys to flourish.

Exactly. It's not a matter of "is this player worth this?" It's a matter of "is what this player can do for our team worth this?"

If Parsons spreads the floor for our other guys, provides leadership, and MAKES THIS TEAM CONSIDERABLY BETTER, then he's worth 9-10 mil a year easily.

This whole post wreaks of living in the past. Just get over it and move on already or you're going to miss out on the fun that lies ahead. And before you mention it, yes you are entitled to feel however you want, but that doesn't mean it's mature or how you should be feeling two years later. It's history man, live in the present and look ahead to the future.

Good advice, make sure you tell it to the kid that posted this:

Is it too late to jump ship and be a Spurs fan? Screw the Magic

• Upvote 1

"@JoshuaBRobbins: UF's Billy Donovan says the Magic "hit two home runs" by selecting Aaron Gordon & Elfrid Payton: http://t.co/pFqxntt3mm"

I wonder what it would have been like if he actually coached the team that year instead of Van Gundy.