LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I think winning is the priority, along with player development. I guess maybe I am in the minority where I still believe that even if you are in a playoff position you can still develop as a player (SMH). I see fewer reasons how missing playoffs would be better for the players than making them. Much fewer. I am not short sighted, and because we are contending for the playoffs does not mean I would rather us be a 4-10 seed-that makes no sense and lacks merit.

Preach. My thoughts exactly. If we were to somehow make a 8 seed next year, that would in no way put us in "Mediocre Purgatory" for years to come. It's a crazy concept, but 20-24 year old players can actually get better from year to year thus making the team better which in turn would push us up the rankings. Not to mention that developing an atmosphere where losing is not only acceptable but expected, that plays a role on a young mans mindset. I would like these guys to see what a winning culture is like so that they aspire to keep that feeling.

• Upvote 1

Ok so you have a UK bias. That explains why you can't let this go.

Well you need to think logically. GMs are not college fanboys.

Read my prior post on why we will most likely not be drafting a PF at 4.

Read my prior post on shooting and why that is an overblown concern that is posted every year around this time ..

If we don't draft a PF at #4 I'm cool with it…But you do realize that your statement about shooting is your opinion ???….As you long as you realize that it also works the other way….A guy that is hyped comes into the league and everyone says he'll learn how to shoot when he gets to the NBA but it never happens.

I wish I could provide examples but my brain is drawing a blank, right now and my wife is calling me to eat…..Murphy, MagicFanInCalifornia can you assist me here ???

Exactly. I would be stunned of the Magic took vonleh at 4 without a trade lined up at #7 to get Smart.

It would make more sense if the Magic could trade 12 plus AA for #7, grab Exum or smart and then the best remaining PF.

That could please everyone on this forum because there is a chance that could be Randle if the Celtics prefer Gordon.

IMO, if the Magic can walk away with Exum or Smart and Gordon it would be an A+ draft. The final hole would be at SF and they could pursue Haywood without overpaying since they have Harkless and Harris for 2014.

If we don't draft a PF at #4 I'm cool with it…But you do realize that your statement about shooting is your opinion ???….As you long as you realize that it also works the other way….A guy that is hyped comes into the league and everyone says he'll learn how to shoot when he gets to the NBA but it never happens.

I wish I could provide examples but my brain is drawing a blank, right now and my wife is calling me to eat…..Murphy, MagicFanInCalifornia can you assist me here ???

Its not my opinion. It is the opinion of NBA scouts who do this for a living. Go ahead and read their thoughts on shooting improvement. Hell, go study it for yourself like I have. I have already posted examples of this.

Look at Noah - that guys shot is horrendous looking, but it works and he is now a top big in the NBA. Gordon's shot has already improved over the summer and will only get better. Same with Smart and Exum. You can read the scouting reports on how they have already improved their shots in the off season.

I also have spent time with some free throw coaches in this area. As we know there are a few who have been employed by the Magic. They both told me that shooting is the most teachable NBA skill.

Now, I'm not suggesting Rob take Randle at #4….I've seen Emory post often that he would take Randle at #5 but not #4….What difference should one spot matter ???

In fairness BJ, I said I wouldn't be upset if the Magic were to select Randle at 5. I would actually prefer Gordon, Smart and possibly Vonleh over him though.

The difference between drafting Randle at 4 instead of 5, for me anyways, is that I think there is a clear cut top tier in this draft (although I think Smart is on the verge of putting himself in the conversation for the top tier) and those guys are Embiid, Parker, Wiggins and Exum. And I think there is a decent gap between those guys and the next 8 guys off the board. I know that you don't feel that way and that's completely fine. However, I think your fandom for all things UK is playing a major role in your viewpoint on this and that is a dangerous thing to do when projecting prospects to the next level.

This whole discussion of whether or not shooting can be improved upon reminded me of a really good Grantland article that I read a few weeks ago. It was so relevant to this conversation that I had to go back and find it.

http://grantland.com/features/the-shot-doctor/

There are obviously examples of players that never improved their jumpshot. However, there are a TON of examples of guys that came into the league with questionable mechanics etc that ended up improving into good to even great shooters. I think that without a doubt its a skill that can easily be taught with the right coaching and a player that is determined to improve.

I love the passion in this thread. This draft is going to be crazy!!! I have a feeling Rob is going to do some wild stuff, and I bet we'll see lots of trades going down. Too many teams need to make major adjustments.

In fairness BJ, I said I wouldn't be upset if the Magic were to select Randle at 5. I would actually prefer Gordon, Smart and possibly Vonleh over him though.

The difference between drafting Randle at 4 instead of 5, for me anyways, is that I think there is a clear cut top tier in this draft (although I think Smart is on the verge of putting himself in the conversation for the top tier) and those guys are Embiid, Parker, Wiggins and Exum. And I think there is a decent gap between those guys and the next 8 guys off the board. I know that you don't feel that way and that's completely fine.

I never said those guys weren't the top 4…I said for me there are too many "IF'S" when pairing Exum with Dipo….The 4th pick should be a sure thing….And as I posted earlier, I don't think Wiggins and Dipo would mesh well together….I'd take Embiid or Parker but I don't think either will be there when we pick.

I agree with Soul in that we think Henny is gonna have to be ready to wheel and deal on draft night….possibly spur of the moment stuff….After the Dwight trade he's been relatively laying under the radar but he's gonna be squarely in the spotlight in about 18 days.

Don't watch the movie "Draft Day" or being Magic fans as we all are will give you nightmares, lol.

Other than maybe Parker, I don't think there is a sure thing in this draft. Every player has question marks....including Randle and Smart. And we clearly have differing opinions on who would mesh well with Oladipo because I think either Wiggins or Exum has the potential to be a spectacular duo. Wiggins and Oladipo might give us the best defensive backcourt in the league. When was the last time we had two dominant perimeter defenders? Has it ever happened? That is their absolute floor.

I don't see us taking any PF at the 4 pick when this league favors perimeter players so heavily.

We will have a shot to get a high ceiling wing at 4 and I don't see Hennigan passing on this opportunity.

Trade up from 12 for a PF is a very good option but we have to use the 4 spot to draft a wing.

One scenario we haven't discussed much is trading up from 4. We have beat it to death about the possibilities with trading down, but what would you guys think it would take to get us in the top 2-3? Would you be willing to give up a guy like Harris/Affalo to have a shot at Wiggins/Parker/Embid? I have read multiple articles that say we, above almost any other team, have what it would take to trade up assuming we would want to.