LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

A Pantoum for Bauncey Chillups:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. I don't know which angle to attack first, about his lack of size...his lack of jumper...or that I'm a 'sycophant' of Kentucky AT ALL which for proper use of that word would require at a minimum a single statement of favoritism towards Kentucky-which you will not find. I went to KU, not UK.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. It is common belief that outside of Parker that Randle is the surest pick in this draft, you don't have to look far into scouting reports to see that from multiple sources. To think otherwise suggests you get your information from the talent evaluators of TBN whose acumen has been largely subpar over the years. He has an unmatched motor at the top of the draft next to Smart, the most explosive athleticism out of all the bigs in the draft save Gordon, is the strongest in the top of the draft if not the whole draft, has a 7 foot wingspan and can jump 3 feet off the ground, and a decent jumper that wasn't evident at UK by way of systematic use and constantly being double/triple teamed-but its still there and evidenced as recently as today by reports in the 'media' and was apparently his bread and butter before UK-along with being an insane rebounder.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. But sure, he's an average defender...meaning that he isn't elite at something-wow. Why don't you go and tell me about all the other elite big man defenders in this draft? I'm pretty sure there's a video floating around with head to head match ups of some of the better defenders and Randle; summary-Randle came out on top. You can argue once again that Gordon is a better defender, but then again that's based on potential mostly, put the two against each other at the 4 and tell me what would happen? Randle would go Granmama all over him-that's what would happen. And for the record, while Gordon has unusually good ballhandling skills and agility for a big (I'm a fan of his btw) Randle is no slouch either, ranking towards the upper end himself and no worse than Vonleh while also being no slower than Gordon. Considering Randle's beastliness on top of measurements its clear why he is such a highly rated individual. The ONLY reason he isn't being considered at the top of the draft literally is the number of potential game-changing players this year. Notice I said potential, which is the only thing keeping Vonleh and Gordon in the discussion with Randle-who would tear both of them up today...and not in a Emeka Okafor vs. Dwight Howard way.

This isn't a campaign for Randle to be picked 4th, its a plea for the senselessness to stop about the misguided perceptions about players here. For some reason Wiggins and Randle get shat on here and it blows my mind. I shouldn't care so much because it's a message board but the way some come around to things lack reason and foresight. It is not my place to Shepard the flock so to speak but it wears on me because people like you question my credibility or are otherwise dismissive jajajaja-ing 3/4 of the year yet I end up being right and you just go on doing the same thing the next year. It's damn groundhog day TBN style. Its old, but what is there to do about it? Just stop caring I suppose, but this ignorance breeds further ignorance because the more you say stuff, the more likely people think its true. It's apparent I need to lighten up and grab a beer-go watch the Braves or something. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I got bored after the 2nd paragraph.

But what I read is mostly untrue. No one is saying Randle is the safest pick in the draft because he is awful. No off-hand, 6'11" wingspan which is bad for a guy who got by overpowering people in college, horrible block/steal/assist numbers, wasn't that efficient of a scorer. He'll be a good rebounder in the NBA but he's terrible at D, is undersized and doesn't have the skill to make up for it. Maybe he can be a slightly better Thomas Robinson.

What if Exum flops? That seems much more likely to me than Randle flopping...it certainly is a safer pick. That being said we need a home run with the fourth pick.

I'm with you Murphy. I actually see Randle as a much safer player and I think he will be a double double machine. He's just not sexy enough for people on here to get behind him. Exum could be an all-star or he could easily be the guy we look at 5 years from now and he's the Darko Millicic of the draft. Complete bust next to multiple all stars. Not to say I would want Randle at 4 over everyone else but I wouldn't freak out if he was our pick either. If we get another lottery pick I wouldn't mind him at all.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. It is common belief that outside of Parker that Randle is the surest pick in this draft, you don't have to look far into scouting reports to see that from multiple sources.

Murphy, where are you seeing he's a sure pick? The ESPN crew has concerns, comparing him to Brandon Bass and Corliss Williamson (http://insider.espn....tock-pro-future). Furthermore, while I like his motor and athletic testing, he played below the rim at UK. I'd love to love him but I just don't.

To be fair, I'm not fully sold on any of the PFs. I like Gordon later at #12 because of his defense and team ball, which we desperately need.

On Aaron Gordon:

I like the Shawn Marion comparison for Gordon: He's not quite skilled enough to be a 3 and not big enough to be a 4, but he's a tremendous athlete and versatile defender who can overcome size and skill deficiencies. As he grows more confident with his jump shot, the rest of his game will grow accordingly.

Gordon may appear raw to the naked eye, but he's almost universally loved by NBA GMs and scouts. Yes, he's not a great shooter and struggles to create offense for himself off the bounce, but virtually every other part of his game screams "NBA stat-stuffer."

Gordon is a terrific defender, using both length and elite athletic ability to guard multiple positions. He's a great rebounder and shot-blocker for his size. His motor is also off the charts. And he can finish way above the rim.

http://insider.espn....tock-pro-future

Even if Randle is a safe pick, so what? Since when has the safest pick ever been the best pick? From the past 2 drafts alone there are Thomas Robinson and Otto Porter both those guys got labeled as "safe" picks and are yet to do anything at all in their careers. Emeka Okafor was another "safe" pick and I'm sure as hell glad we didn't pick him at the time.

No doubt. But best defensive back court in the league. And I like Vic's shot. It didn't go in a whole hell of a lot this year but form looks good. I think he improves his shot drastically the next year or two. As for Smart, I just have a felling Rob still really likes him. I don't know how we can just assume he's gonna take Exum over Smart. Smart did a lot of good things last year against a lot of great competition. I know I'm way in the minority on here but Smart is way more of a sure thing than Exum is. Not saying he will be better but way less bust potential and also just mentally preparing myself for if it does happen.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if somehow Nelson and AA get traded and we end up with both Smart and Exum along with who we pick up at the 12th slot. Let them battle it out to start or split the minutes between them and Vic 1 & 2 with Moore and Lamb as backups if needed.

Even if Randle is a safe pick, so what? Since when has the safest pick ever been the best pick? From the past 2 drafts alone there are Thomas Robinson and Otto Porter both those guys got labeled as "safe" picks and are yet to do anything at all in their careers. Emeka Okafor was another "safe" pick and I'm sure as hell glad we didn't pick him at the time.

He didn't say safest, he said surest. That makes it even less valid than safest.

This forum hasn't changed a bit.

Nope, the stupid and futile arguments still exist. The only difference is the posters involved.

Great insider link on Gordon. Agree with all of that. Id love it if the magic decide to trade for pick 9 and get him.

I like randle, but not at 4. Exum fills a need which is pg. He also is a perfect match next to vic since he can guard the 2.

The last sensational overseas pg was rubio, and he is a solid pg. He does not have the natural gifts that exum has which is why i like exum more.