LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

From that same article :

"Another one of his strengths is his ability to play elite defense as soon as he comes to the NBA. Next to his athleticism, Gordon’s defense is his most attractive trait. According to DraftExpress.com, Gordon only averages 2.3 fouls per-40 minutes. Gordon is excellent at playing defense without fouling. With his height and weight, Gordon has the ability to defend in the post, but also has amazing footwork that can allow him to keep up with guards. His great feet also give him the ability to shutdown guards from penetrating on the perimeter. Gordon does a great job of staying straight up when playing defense, to avoid fouling. He’s the closest thing to a lock down defender in this draft, which is something the Sixers sorely need. Adding Gordon’s defense with Nerlens Noel at the rim would be a great foundation for a championship level defense. I can just imagine these two swatting shots out of the Wells Fargo Center nightly."

I noticed you liked my link enough to quote from it, but you ignored this part and continue to insist Gordon's sole offensive strength was finishing at the rim.

While he’s a great athlete and can throw down with the best of them, Gordon lacks a deft touch at the rim. Sometimes when he’s trying to complete a post move or floater, it looks like he’s throwing the ball of the backboard. There’s no soft touch there, which causes a lot of his shots near the rim to fly off the rim.

This reminds me of last year's draft when Catman insisted that I was an idiot for saying McLemore was terrible

If I actually said you were an idiot it would be because the majority of your posts were really bad fantasy scenarios that rarely made any sense.

Last time I checked McLemore has been in the league one year, was not terrible and there was not one stand out player from last year's draft.

I noticed you liked my link enough to quote from it, but you ignored this part and continue to insist Gordon's sole offensive strength was finishing at the rim.

[/size]

Thats because finishing at the rim is not about floating post shots with touch.

Think Shaq as a rookie for an example of what I am saying. Great finisher at the rim, no real touch or post moves developed yet

His strength is finishing at the rim currently.

Everyone here agrees gordon is raw offensively. Its not a debate. But he can throw it down and has great athleticisim which allows him to get his points. you don't average 12 points a game in college with ZERO offense while struggling with FTs as well.

If Gorgon is a must get for us, how much are you willing to give up to grab him? If trading with Bos/LA, I think the price is steep. If trading with Sac at #8, a little easier, but we'd have to pray he falls to that spot. May have to also pay high for Utah's pick.

Exum

Oladipo

Harris

Gordon

Vucevic

I really do like that lineup and the mixture of skills & roles.

• Upvote 1

If Gorgon is a must get for us, how much are you willing to give up to grab him? If trading with Bos/LA, I think the price is steep. If trading with Sac at #8, a little easier, but we'd have to pray he falls to that spot. May have to also pay high for Utah's pick.

Exum

Oladipo

Harris

Gordon

Vucevic

Its a cool lineup and just my opinion on what the Magic will do based on what I have been hearing.

The caveat here is that they need to trade with somebody to get that 7-9 pick. I wold be willing to give up Aaron personally if we can keep #12 and draft a SF.

It's pretty common knowledge that Aaron has some interest and the teams in that range may take a bite. If needed, I would throw in Nicholson to sweeten the deal just because I believe Gordon could be that good for us.

I am not sure what Rob is thinking, but I think he would like to have Jameer as our vet to help develop whatever PG we draft.

The problem with Aflalo is he takes minutes from Vic and just is not ideal at SF, where he wold take minutes from Harkless and Harris.

This reminds me of last year's draft when Catman insisted that I was an idiot for saying McLemore was terrible

He's not terrible, but you sir are no idiot.

Exum

Oladipo

Harris

Gordon

Vucevic

Don't do a google image search for gorgon while at work

I've just read that according to Chad Ford of ESPN, the 76ers have "bounced around" the idea of trading Michael Carter-Williams, because of their love for Dante Exum. According to Ford:

The Philadelphia 76ers are Exum fans as well and if Wiggins is off the board, he's in the mix. They think Exum and Carter-Williams could play together in the backcourt, though it would not be a very good shooting tandem. I think the more obvious fit comes if they trade Carter-Williams, an idea I'm told they have bounced around.

Now I'm not convinced that they will trade Michael Carter-Williams, he is the type of kid that could be a good long term point guard for them. However, it does seem like the type of deal that their general manager has become known for, in that he did trade Jrue Holliday, an all star, to acquire assets to rebuild the team. So no one is really untouchable on a rebuilding team, and if Parker and Wiggins are off the board, and the 76ers prefer the upside of Exum, then he could be off the board by the time we come to draft at #4 leaving us with a choice of Joel Embiid, Noah Vonleh and Marcus Smart.

So here's a thought. If the first two picks are Parker and Wiggins, and then the 76ers take Exum, should we look to do a deal to acquire Michael Carter-Williams?

The kid has already made an impact in the NBA. He is one of three players to average 16/6/6 in his rookie season, the other two being Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson. The pairing of Carter-Williams and Oladipo could give us a back court to build around for the future. Now granted it depends on what the 76ers would want for him, and two examples were the Lakers or Kings trading their #7 or #8 pick for him. Now we wouldn't throw our #4 pick their way, but if we packaged Afflalo and #12 in exchanging for Carter-Williams and a second round draft pick or two, then that would allow us to land our future PG and grab a potentially franchise changing player in Embiid or Vonleh. That would leave us with the line of:

PG: MCW

SG: Oladipo

SF: Harris

PF: Vuc / Vonleh

C: Embiid / Vuc

Whether we went for Embiid or Vonleh, we would end up with a talented line up going forwards. So do you think if the 76ers draft Exum, that we will be interested in acquiring Michael Carter-Williams?

Thats because finishing at the rim is not about floating post shots with touch.

Think Shaq as a rookie for an example of what I am saying. Great finisher at the rim, no real touch or post moves developed yet

His strength is finishing at the rim currently.

Everyone here agrees gordon is raw offensively. Its not a debate. But he can throw it down and has great athleticisim which allows him to get his points. you don't average 12 points a game in college with ZERO offense while struggling with FTs as well.

Here's another link that says he struggles finishing at the rim. I'm waiting for a link that supports your claim.

Synergy Sports has Gordon in the 12th percentile for jump shots, 15th percentile in post-up situations, and 13th percentile in offensive putbacks. That last one is the bigger concern. You can improve your jumper, you can improve your post-up situations. But with Gordon's wingspan and athleticism, he should be producing more points on putbacks.

Much of what Gordon seems to struggle with is how short his jumps are on both inside attempts and offensive rebounds, based on little to no power being spent from this legs. Watch him come up short here on both the initial shot and second opportunity.

http://www.cbssports...-stellar-upside

The problem with Aflalo is he takes minutes from Vic and just is not ideal at SF, where he wold take minutes from Harkless and Harris.

I just don't get why this is considered a "problem". Seriously, he is in the prime of his career, is a phenomenal example of the work ethic needed to succeed/improve, which he has continued to do every year in the league; if they can't get to a point where they are taking those minutes, then maybe they aren't the building block players that we want them to be. Jacque seems to be doing a pretty good job of managing the minutes so that the guys working hard and improving are getting their opportunities. AA is one player, and he played a lot of time out of position at the 3 last year - not just to free up time at the 2 for VOladipo, but because our other SF were not getting the job done. I don't want our young guys to be given their minutes, I want them to have to earn them.

Crazy how intense it gets on here all over pure speculation based on who we think we should draft or trade for. I would be scared to see what would happen if the posters on here all got together in 1 room and discussed this topic in person. Yikes.

Here's another link that says he struggles finishing at the rim. I'm waiting for a link that supports your claim.

http://www.cbssports...-stellar-upside

I had already posted a link that supported my claim and you apparently never read it.

I have also suggested you simply watch video to see that as well.

Not sure what else you want unless you are just bored.