LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Exum, Oladipo, Harris, Vonleh, Vuc

I like the look of that line up. Tons of talent and athleticism. But realistically I don't see Vonleh dropping past the Kings if they stay at #7. I think we should be able to tempt them with a trade.

I also wouldn't mind a line up like:

Oladipo, AA, Parker/Wiggins, Vonleh, Vuc

Another talented, athletic line up. I'm liking the potential options we could have for next season, and that's without any consideration for a star free agent.

If The Magic take Embiid at #3, I'm fine with it. That would be a real value pick there. We need interior D and 2 bigs work fine together. Vaughn designed the 2 C offense for San Antonio, and I am sure he will have a blast with Vuc on the elbow nailing jumpers while Embiid does work underneath.

If that happens, it's about a given that they will go with a PG for the next selection. And that guy could be Marcus Smart if they can move up. Smart/Vic/Harris/Embiid/Vuc is a tough lineup to score against. The weakness will be shooting, but Oladipo's will be better and so will Harris's, as these guys are focusing on this in the offseason.

The flexibility to slide Harris down for Vuc, and bring in harkless is perfect. I would be very happy with that draft.

If The Magic take Embiid at #3, I'm fine with it. That would be a real value pick there. We need interior D and 2 bigs work fine together. Vaughn designed the 2 C offense for San Antonio, and I am sure he will have a blast with Vuc on the elbow nailing jumpers while Embiid does work underneath.

If that happens, it's about a given that they will go with a PG for the next selection. And that guy could be Marcus Smart if they can move up. Smart/Vic/Harris/Embiid/Vuc is a tough lineup to score against. The weakness will be shooting, but Oladipo's will be better and so will Harris's, as these guys are focusing on this in the offseason.

The flexibility to slide Harris down for Vuc, and bring in harkless is perfect. I would be very happy with that draft.

A Smart, Oladipo, Harris, Buc, Embiid line up, like you say, would bring a high level of defense that would have a similar feel to the Grizzlies' style of play. I think in Oladipo and Harris there is potential scoring there, and the other three starters should be efficient scorers. With AA, Nelson and Harkless off the bench, they should bring some fire power.

Granted I'd love to see the scoring power of OKC, Miami etc, but if we played tough defense like Memphis, and could get efficient offense, then that style of play can be decent to watch.

Plus we could always try to sign a scorer for SF in free agency, or some sharp shooters for the bench.

The Duncan/Robinson pair played from the 97-98 season to the 02-03 season. Jacque Vaughn was still a player for all those years, none of them with the Spurs.

A Smart, Oladipo, Harris, Buc, Embiid line up, like you say, would bring a high level of defense that would have a similar feel to the Grizzlies' style of play. I think in Oladipo and Harris there is potential scoring there, and the other three starters should be efficient scorers. With AA, Nelson and Harkless off the bench, they should bring some fire power.

Granted I'd love to see the scoring power of OKC, Miami etc, but if we played tough defense like Memphis, and could get efficient offense, then that style of play can be decent to watch.

Plus we could always try to sign a scorer for SF in free agency, or some sharp shooters for the bench.

Magic end up with two top 7 picks and don't give up anything? Come on guys.

ideal draft for me would be embiid and move up for smart

or

exum and move up for vonleh

trade chips 12 pick and aa

Prior to last draft, I was all for Smart, but now, a year later, not so much. We really don't need another 1-2 guard who can't shoot very well. We have Oladipo right now. Oladipo shot 59% in his last season at Indiana and shot 41.9% his first season in Orlando. Now I'm sure he'll get better, without a doubt. Smart shot 42.2% last season and 29.9% from beyond the arc. We can only assume he'd shoot worse in the NBA, as it's better quality defenders. As we saw this year, our offense is anemic and we can't score (25th in point scored, 22nd in FG%). Smart is a good defender, but we need someone who can run the point, is smart, limits turnovers, takes more quality shots and gets others involved.

Prior to last draft, I was all for Smart, but now, a year later, not so much. We really don't need another 1-2 guard who can't shoot very well. We have Oladipo right now. Oladipo shot 59% in his last season at Indiana and shot 41.9% his first season in Orlando. Now I'm sure he'll get better, without a doubt. Smart shot 42.2% last season and 29.9% from beyond the arc. We can only assume he'd shoot worse in the NBA, as it's better quality defenders. As we saw this year, our offense is anemic and we can't score (25th in point scored, 22nd in FG%). Smart is a good defender, but we need someone who can run the point, is smart, limits turnovers, takes more quality shots and gets others involved.

Keep in mind Oladipo played almost entirely off-the-ball at Indiana while in the NBA he's mostly had to create shots for himself, it's been a different role for him.

Magic end up with two top 7 picks and don't give up anything? Come on guys.

If we did trade with the Kings, the deal could be something like:

- #12 + AA or Nelson

- #12 + 2015 first round pick

There are two scenarios, and one could easily come up with other potential deals between the two teams, or trades involving multiple teams. What it depends on is what our FO is willing to give up to trade back into the top seven. Obviously we've seen the rumors of this team trying to find trade partners for AA and Nelson. I think the Kings could have interest in either guy.

If the plan is to keep AA and Nelson, whether it is that their role will be to come off the bench or start (eg. Nelson, Oladipo, Parker/Wiggins, Vonleh, Vuc; or Oladipo, AA, Parker/Wiggins, Vonleh, Vuc, or Smart, Oladipo, AA, Vuc, Embiid etc), then the team could trade its 2015 first round pick along with this year's #12 pick. Now granted this scenario would come with the risk that the pick ends up being a top three selection, but if we managed to improve to 34-48 like the Pelicans, then our chances for the top three would be .011, .013, .016; and if we improved to 37-45 like the Knicks, then our chances for the top three would drop to .007, .008, .010. So if the plan is to begin to compete and win more games, and perhaps even try to make the jump to the 7th or 8th seed which isn't implausible based on how weak that spot is in the Eastern Conference, then taking a risk on this team grabbing 10+ more wins might be worth throwing our first round selection from next year along with our #12 pick from this year.

Personally I am not convinced we will trade back up. Fingers crossed we draft no lower than #3 and #12, and that should land us two very good pieces for the team's future. If we can come out with a combination like Exum and Gordon, Parker/Wiggins and Ennis, or Embiid and Ennis etc, then I think we will have had a good draft. So I don't necessarily think there will be a need to trade up. But it would be tempting to add a combination like Exum + Vonleh, Parker/Wiggins + Smart, or Embiid + Smart, because those additions, plus any moves made in free agency, could help this team win at least another ten games or more.

Your point is well taken, but shooting can be improved over time. Jason Kidd was a terrible shooter coming into the league but wound up in what, the top 3 all time for three pointers made? I know it's a HOF example but the point remains. Ariza is another guy that couldn't shoot a lick coming in and now is flat dangerous from behind the arch. I don't know, shooting is definitely a concern when it comes to Smart but the guy has a motor and apparently a very strong work ethic, and I like to believe good things come to those with drive.

Keep in mind Oladipo played almost entirely off-the-ball at Indiana while in the NBA he's mostly had to create shots for himself, it's been a different role for him.

I agree. I'd like to see him get back to that type of role. Trying to transition to a PG during your first year in the NBA has to be one of the most difficult things in sports. And I'm sure we'll grab ourselves a PG in this draft. This will allow Oladipo to move back over to his natural position

Your point is well taken, but shooting can be improved over time. Jason Kidd was a terrible shooter coming into the league but wound up in what, the top 3 all time for three pointers made? I know it's a HOF example but the point remains. Ariza is another guy that couldn't shoot a lick coming in and now is flat dangerous from behind the arch. I don't know, shooting is definitely a concern when it comes to Smart but the guy has a motor and apparently a very strong work ethic, and I like to believe good things come to those with drive.

He does appear to be a very hard worker. I love watching him play and the intensity he brings on both sides of the court. I can see a promising career for him, and with that work ethic, he can improve on his deficiencies.

I agree. I'd like to see him get back to that type of role. Trying to transition to a PG during your first year in the NBA has to be one of the most difficult things in sports. And I'm sure we'll grab ourselves a PG in this draft. This will allow Oladipo to move back over to his natural position

I think playing off the ball will allow victor to have more energy for defense. He used alot of energy trying to create offense. He could start picking up full court.