LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Magic Extend Contracts of General Manager Rob Hennigan and Head Coach Jacque Vaughn...

The Orlando Magic have exercised their fourth-year team option and extended the contracts of General Manager Rob Hennigan and Head Coach Jacque Vaughn, Chief Executive Officer Alex Martins announced today. Both contracts have been extended through the 2015-16 season. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed.

"Rob (Hennigan) and Jacque (Vaughn) have worked extremely hard in establishing a culture which embodies teamwork, hard work, hunger for success and humility," said Martins. "With their strategic direction and leadership, we feel we are headed in the right direction, which will allow us to achieve our goals of contending in a long-term, sustainable fashion."

Hennigan was named general manager of the Magic on June 20, 2012. He is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the team’s basketball operations, including day-to-day business, roster management and development, player acquisitions, salary cap management, analytical systems, and process development throughout the department. Hennigan spent the previous four seasons (2008-12) with Oklahoma City, including his last two seasons as the Thunder’s assistant general manager/player personnel.

Vaughn became the tenth head coach in Orlando Magic history on July 27, 2012. He is the second-youngest head coach in the NBA. Prior to joining the Magic, Vaughn spent two seasons (2010-12) as an assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs. He played 12 years in the NBA from 1997-2009, including 80 games with Orlando in 2002-03. Vaughn was a member of the San Antonio Spurs 2006-07 NBA Championship team.

I just don't see the Thunder trading Westbrook for anything we offer. If they do, it would take most all of our good building blocks away (Vic/Harris/Vuc/Picks). R. Jackson maybe, but no way do we get Westbrook.

Westbrook will cost Oladipo.

Westbrook will cost Oladipo.

I think Westbrook is a competitor, but I just don't think his chip-on-the-shoulder me-first mentality is conducive to the culture we've created with the Magic, especially with all the young pieces looking to grow. The Magic players are characterized by humility and hard-work, an essential carbon copy of the Spurs/Thunder model. I think Westbrook would bring a certain swagger and spark to the locker-room that we might need, but I also don't see him dealing with losing well (doesn't come off as a guy who would take responsibility like Durant does).

I'm content with an Exum/Oladipo/Harris/Vuc core growing together and coming into their own in time, rather than stagnating their growth with a ball-hog scorer (as good as he is).

Oladipo's game resembles Westbrook in a lot of ways, I think the Magic would rather hoping he develops to be as good a player as he is instead of just trading him away for Westbrook proper.

Personally I'd rather not have to give up a lot to land a player like Westbrook. Yes, he's an all star. Yes, he's an excellent player. But if this team gives up its young pieces and/or draft picks for him, then this team will be built around Westbrook and whatever players we can put together to make it work.

For me, I'd rather build around our young core - Oladipo, Harris, Harkless, Vuc etc - and add to them with some more highly rated young talent, and then supplement it with a star player when one hits the market. That way we keep our young talent, draft picks, and can pursue a star player due to the cap space we have. Not sure we'll grab one this off season, but I'm sure if our talented young core progresses to 30-odd wins next season, then that might be enough to tempt one of the big names in next year's free agency.

That said, I wouldn't complain if we got Westbrook. But I can't see why OKC would want to get rid. Him and Durant are important to them.

Exum Who ?????

Who Orlando would draft at No. 3 ???

The NBA Draft Lottery takes place on May 20, and only then will we really know what draft slot each of the teams in the lottery will have. But as of now, the Orlando Magic is slated to have the No. 3 pick. If no teams move up into the top 3 and the Magic do in fact end up with the third spot, who would be their top target?

ESPN Insider Jeff Goodman wrote Wednesday that there's an obvious choice.

Even with Nikola Vucevic on the roster as the team's promising young center, Goodman wrote that based on information he's gathered from NBA executives, college coaches and other industry sources, Orlando would select Kansas center Joel Embiid if he drops to them.

The Magic haven't shied away from trying players at new positions, as we've seen with Victor Oladipo, Moe Harkless and Tobias Harris in recent years, but passing on a more prototypical power forward like Julius Randle or Noah Vonleh and adding a second center in Embiid would surely be a bold decision.

Here's Goodman to explain why it makes sense from Orlando's point of view......."The only reason Embiid would slide this far is due to concerns about his back, but he's a skilled 7-footer who is exactly what the Magic need to pair with Nikola Vucevic. General manager Rob Hennigan would pop the champagne if he could get Embiid with this pick."

LET'S GO EMBIID !!!!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=25586#comments

• Upvote 1

I don't like Westbrook at all. I don't know what you guys see in him.

I don't like Westbrook at all. I don't know what you guys see in him.

Athleticism, will, bravery. But yeah, I wouldn't exactly want him here (dead serious)

Exum Who ?????

LET'S GO EMBIID !!!!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=25586#comments

Embiid has all the makings of a dominant big-man with his athleticism, strength, and jumping capabilities. To pair him with Nik Vuchevic (who has shooting range and touch) would be filthy both offensively (and even defensively in terms of length). Everyone is shying away from him because of his back, but if he checks out, it's much easier to sign a great wing-player than to sign a great center.

I can believe this is true because I still think that Rob believes in Harkless and Harris. Sure, Harris isn't an elite athlete, but he's one hell of a scorer and competitor. And we have to remember, Harkless is our most athletic player and is only 20 years old with great length and as his maturity in the game develops, he could truly be a lethal slasher and finisher. Harris at SF would additionally make sense because of the help defense he could receive from having two 7 footers behind him.

In any event, getting a top 4 pick in this draft is Gold to me.

Athleticism, will, bravery. But yeah, I wouldn't exactly want him here (dead serious)

I'm with you. Great intangibles, but is a ball hog and is not a leader, especially if that meant one of our young pieces was gone (namely Oladipo). Westbook on a non-winning team would be a headcase.

ideal draft for me would be embiid and move up for smart

or

exum and move up for vonleh

trade chips 12 pick and aa

ideal draft for me would be embiid and move up for smart

or

exum and move up for vonleh

trade chips 12 pick and aa

Exum, Oladipo, Harris, Vonleh, Vuc

I like the look of that line up. Tons of talent and athleticism. But realistically I don't see Vonleh dropping past the Kings if they stay at #7. I think we should be able to tempt them with a trade.

I also wouldn't mind a line up like:

Oladipo, AA, Parker/Wiggins, Vonleh, Vuc

Another talented, athletic line up. I'm liking the potential options we could have for next season, and that's without any consideration for a star free agent.