LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Julius Randle went beast mode again. 22 points on 7 FGAs, 14 boards, 3 assists and a block. Chad Ford tweeted that he looked like an NBA vet playing against college kids.

Julius Randle went beast mode again. 22 points on 7 FGAs, 14 boards, 3 assists and a block. Chad Ford tweeted that he looked like an NBA vet playing against college kids.

Looked like a future Magician to me :)

Now what to do with Nicholson...

Looked like a future Magician to me :)/>

Continue have him come off the bench?

wow javale mcgee out indefinitely with tibia stress fracture...

changler out for a while with with fibula break...

mmmm dat pick

Looked like a future Magician to me :)/>

Continue have him come off the bench?

so_much_win.jpeg

Parker looks unbelievable as well, skillset seems to be off the charts. Fun night of college basketball tomorrow.

Parker reminds me of a taller Kobe at times, great knowledge of spacing and ultra crafty as a scorer. I really want to love Parker but his slow footspeed and below average standing reach are worrisome in regards to his defensive potential in the NBA.

Is Dante Exum a top 3 pick?

Chad Ford (1:38 PM)

I think so. Hearing from sources that he and his family are now strongly leaning toward skipping college and having him go straight into the NBA. Some NBA guys think he should be the No. 1 pick. Will be interesting to see how they feel if the college guys all live up to the hype while Exum is just working out in Australia.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49379/nba-insider-chad-ford

Parker reminds me of a taller Kobe at times, great knowledge of spacing and ultra crafty as a scorer. I really want to love Parker but his slow footspeed and below average standing reach are worrisome in regards to his defensive potential in the NBA.

Defensive potential is a big problem among elite prospects in this draft. Randle, Parker and Gordon all have major question marks surrounding their ability to play defense in the NBA. That's why I still have Wiggins and Exum as my top 2 prospects. Both have the tools to be great two way players in this league.

Defensive potential is a big problem among elite prospects in this draft. Randle, Parker and Gordon all have major question marks surrounding their ability to play defense in the NBA. That's why I still have Wiggins and Exum as my top 2 prospects. Both have the tools to be great two way players in this league.

I'd argue the problem is more defensive execution rather than potential. Randle Gordon and wiggins all have tools to be fantastic defenders but who knows if they develop defensively.

I'd argue the problem is more defensive execution rather than potential. Randle Gordon and wiggins all have tools to be fantastic defenders but who knows if they develop defensively.

Randle and Gordon are both undersized PF's. Neither even have the wingspan of Jabari Parker. They may be athletic but neither have the length or strength to be great post defenders. Gordon understands the game well and is a good shot blocker but he's essentially the same size as Blake Griffin and Blake is not a good defensive player despite being an athletic specimen. It remains to be seen if either Gordon or Randle have the foot speed to guard on the perimeter.

To put it in perspective. Andrew Nicholson's predraft measurements (per DraftExpress) were:

Height with shoes: 6'9.5

Weight: 234lbs

Wingspan: 7'4

Standing Reach:8'11

Julius Randle current measurements on Draftexpress (recorded at Nike Hoop Summit in April)

Height with shoes: 6'9

Weight: 248lbs

Wingspan: 6'11

Standing Reach: 8'9.5

Aaron Gordon (also from Nike Hoop Summit)

Height with shoes: 6'9

Weight: 212lbs

Wingspan: 6'11.5

Standing reach: 8'10.5

Julius could be a decent post defender with his weight and strength (though his length may still be an issue) but he's not a good shot blocker, Gordon is a more natural shot blocker but doesn't have the weight, strength and size to be an effective post defender.