Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

John Denton, "this is a dramatically flawed team. It needs 'major' changes"! (blog)

I hate to pile on cause I know most Magic fans feel like me this morning, "very disappointed". At the same time I think everyone knows this team has a lot of flaws. Here's Mr. Denton's opinion:

quote:
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:51 pm Post subject: MAGIC SUFFER INEXCUSEABLE DEFEAT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Face it fans, this is who the Magic are: A dysfunctional, immature mess of a team. The playoffs are still within reach, but is there anyone out there who thinks this team is worthy of making the postseason? They are still in the race only because the bottom third of the Eastern Conference is a joke.

Everything was set up perfectly for the Magic Saturday night: They had momentum from Wednesday's win against Utah; they had two days off to rest and practice; not only had the Kings played a night earlier in Miami, they were playing for the fourth time in five nights.

And, still, they laid an egg. The 95-83 loss to the Kings was a joke. The Magic shot 30.3 percent in the second half, blowing a 12-point lead. They put the Kings on the line 48 times where they made 42. And even after the Magic got to within 81-79 with 3 minutes to play, they kicked the ball away four straight possessions.

The Magic lost in large part because none of their best players showed up. Dwight Howard missed eight of 10 shots and turned the ball over five more times. Grant Hill couldn't handle rugged Ron Artest on either end of the floor. Hedo Turkoglu disappeared at halftime with an upset stomach. Jameer Nelson scored 23, but missed seven of nine in the second half.

This is a dramatically flawed team, and anyone expecting this team to put together a closing kick like last season's shouldn't hold its breath. There is little leadership, little maturity and even less grit.

A busy summer lies ahead for the Magic. And this team will be wise to make some major changes.

---- John Denton, FLA TODAY

As you can see even the beat writers are becoming fustrated with the way this season has turned out. I think it's important to note that John thinks the majority of the problem's stem from our "flawed" roster. Now don't go putting me in the "Junkie loves coach category". I definitely agree with the flaws with him that are pointed out on these boards on a daily basis. But last night as I was sitting right behind the basket I was amazed at how we suddenly couldn't score! Let's be honest guys, it's been happening all season.

Here's another blog from Dick Scanlon of the Lakeland Ledger:

quote:
Magical losses

Contributed by Dick Scanlon - Posted: March 17, 2007 11:00:39 PM

Losing games on the road or losing games against good teams is understandable. It happens to everybody.

But the Magic's losses this season have included:

A Nov. 20 loss at Memphis against a Grizzlies team playing without Pau Gasol;

A Dec. 13 home-court loss to a Toronto Raptors team playing without Chris Bosh;

A Dec. 22 loss home-court to Golden State in which the lowly Warriors put up 117 points;

A Jan. 16 defeat at Oklahoma City against a Hornets team playing without its top three scorers;

A Feb. 6 loss at Milwaukee against a team playing without Michael Redd, a team the Magic had beaten by 25 points a week earlier;

Three losses to the Atlanta Hawks, two to the New York Knicks and two to the Charlotte Bobcats, who dropped 119 on the Magic on Monday night;

Saturday night's home-court loss to the Sacramento Kings, who had lost five straight and shot 34 percent.

That's 13 losses in situations where even a mediocre team should be expected to win.

And finally a quote from TNT's Doug Collins about Jameer Nelson. The comments seemed to anger Nelson. Here it is:

quote:
Magic point guard Jameer Nelson didn't take too kindly to TNT color analyst Doug Collins recently criticizing his play at point guard. Collins inferred that Nelson didn't fit in Orlando's offense because often he is a shoot-first, pass-second point guard.

Said Nelson: "I am what I am. You are going to have all kinds of guys out there saying things about you. One guy loves you and one guy hates you. That's why they pay me to do what I do. Obviously, Orlando loves what I do or I wouldn't be here. (Collins) is a great guy and I respect his opinion, but let me do the basketball playing."

Conclusion, I know Brian Hill lacks a lot to be desired but anyone who thinks our roster is a "coaches dream" is sadly mistaken.

http://forums.floridatoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=22726

http://blogs.theledger.com/default.asp?item=529396

I hate to pile on cause I know most Magic fans feel like me this morning, "very disappointed". At the same time I think everyone knows this team has a lot of flaws. Here's Mr. Denton's opinion:

quote:
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:51 pm Post subject: MAGIC SUFFER INEXCUSEABLE DEFEAT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Face it fans, this is who the Magic are: A dysfunctional, immature mess of a team. The playoffs are still within reach, but is there anyone out there who thinks this team is worthy of making the postseason? They are still in the race only because the bottom third of the Eastern Conference is a joke.

Everything was set up perfectly for the Magic Saturday night: They had momentum from Wednesday's win against Utah; they had two days off to rest and practice; not only had the Kings played a night earlier in Miami, they were playing for the fourth time in five nights.

And, still, they laid an egg. The 95-83 loss to the Kings was a joke. The Magic shot 30.3 percent in the second half, blowing a 12-point lead. They put the Kings on the line 48 times where they made 42. And even after the Magic got to within 81-79 with 3 minutes to play, they kicked the ball away four straight possessions.

The Magic lost in large part because none of their best players showed up. Dwight Howard missed eight of 10 shots and turned the ball over five more times. Grant Hill couldn't handle rugged Ron Artest on either end of the floor. Hedo Turkoglu disappeared at halftime with an upset stomach. Jameer Nelson scored 23, but missed seven of nine in the second half.

This is a dramatically flawed team, and anyone expecting this team to put together a closing kick like last season's shouldn't hold its breath. There is little leadership, little maturity and even less grit.

A busy summer lies ahead for the Magic. And this team will be wise to make some major changes.

---- John Denton, FLA TODAY

As you can see even the beat writers are becoming fustrated with the way this season has turned out. I think it's important to note that John thinks the majority of the problem's stem from our "flawed" roster. Now don't go putting me in the "Junkie loves coach category". I definitely agree with the flaws with him that are pointed out on these boards on a daily basis. But last night as I was sitting right behind the basket I was amazed at how we suddenly couldn't score! Let's be honest guys, it's been happening all season.

Here's another blog from Dick Scanlon of the Lakeland Ledger:

quote:
Magical losses

Contributed by Dick Scanlon - Posted: March 17, 2007 11:00:39 PM

Losing games on the road or losing games against good teams is understandable. It happens to everybody.

But the Magic's losses this season have included:

A Nov. 20 loss at Memphis against a Grizzlies team playing without Pau Gasol;

A Dec. 13 home-court loss to a Toronto Raptors team playing without Chris Bosh;

A Dec. 22 loss home-court to Golden State in which the lowly Warriors put up 117 points;

A Jan. 16 defeat at Oklahoma City against a Hornets team playing without its top three scorers;

A Feb. 6 loss at Milwaukee against a team playing without Michael Redd, a team the Magic had beaten by 25 points a week earlier;

Three losses to the Atlanta Hawks, two to the New York Knicks and two to the Charlotte Bobcats, who dropped 119 on the Magic on Monday night;

Saturday night's home-court loss to the Sacramento Kings, who had lost five straight and shot 34 percent.

That's 13 losses in situations where even a mediocre team should be expected to win.

And finally a quote from TNT's Doug Collins about Jameer Nelson. The comments seemed to anger Nelson. Here it is:

quote:
Magic point guard Jameer Nelson didn't take too kindly to TNT color analyst Doug Collins recently criticizing his play at point guard. Collins inferred that Nelson didn't fit in Orlando's offense because often he is a shoot-first, pass-second point guard.

Said Nelson: "I am what I am. You are going to have all kinds of guys out there saying things about you. One guy loves you and one guy hates you. That's why they pay me to do what I do. Obviously, Orlando loves what I do or I wouldn't be here. (Collins) is a great guy and I respect his opinion, but let me do the basketball playing."

Conclusion, I know Brian Hill lacks a lot to be desired but anyone who thinks our roster is a "coaches dream" is sadly mistaken.

http://forums.floridatoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=22726

http://blogs.theledger.com/default.asp?item=529396

I gotta ask, which one of you guys loves what meer does?

Junkie, there has been at least one stretch in every game this season where our offense seemingly breaksdown for a stretch of 5-6 minutes....

It seems the other team is simply waiting for this to happen, because they seemingly take over when it does.........

Hill is sticking with Jameer even when he's terrible, which is often. Collins is right. You guys are underestimating the importance of point guard play. A good one makes his teammates look better, and a bad one does the opposite. Bad PG play will make any team look bad. You can't keep blowing up the roster every year.

We look like a different, and far better, team with Diener on the floor. Why Hill won't play him is just another mystery. The only thing worse than our point guard play is our unbelievably bad coaching.

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

Junkie, there has been at least one stretch in every game this season where our offense seemingly breaksdown for a stretch of 5-6 minutes....

It seems the other team is simply waiting for this to happen, because they seemingly take over when it does.........

Exactly Rich! It's been happening all year long. This team has personnel flaws to go along with a lack of mental and physical toughness.

These beat writers that I quoted here study the Magic for a living. They opinions are not the ultimate authority but I certainly value it because that's their job.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

Exactly Rich! It's been happening all year long. This team has personnel flaws to go along with a lack of mental and physical toughness.

These beat writers that I quoted here study the Magic for a living. They opinions are not the ultimate authority but I certainly value it because that's their job.

This team has been soft since the mid 90's. Why is that so? I can only assume it's the ownership because they have been around longer than anyone. This team is starting to make me hate them. I don't like the makeup. Maybe things will never change until we get new ownership or maybe even a new team.

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

Otis is going to have his hands full of adjusting to do this summer.

Why? What's so difficult about sending a mass email to all the GMs in the league that says: "Anyone on our team except Dwight and Trevor can be had for the right price."

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

Otis is going to have his hands full of adjusting to do this summer.

Why? What's so difficult about sending a mass email to all the GMs in the league that says: "Anyone on our team except Dwight and Trevor can be had for the right price."

Now that's an idea...LOL

Again the lack of a crunch time scorer hit us hard. When teams dial it up defensively on us in the second half, we don't have anyone who can create and hit the big shot to break an opponents run.

It is hard to beat up on Jameer this time since no other starter broke double digits. If it wasn't for the bench in the first half (Darko,Ariza and JJ), we would have never built any lead.

We need Vince or Rashard Lewis this summer if this team ever wants to be truly great. Anyone else might help but would not totally fill that need for a crunchtime scorer.

quote:

Why all this negative hate for the team? A significant flaw in the argument for a blow up of the team or significant changes is right in that paragraph.

Look at the names in that paragraph. Dwight is obviously a great player. No one believes Grant is core to this team and Hedo well he looks to be to be going bye bye very soon. So whats the real core of this team? Looks to me from what Otis has said and done its Dwight, Darko, Aziza, Jameer and Reddick (who I think is coming along VERY well) and a free agent in the offseason probably keeping reddick as a quality 6th man.

I still BELIEVE (since thats such a key word around here) that thats a potentially FANTASTIC core (with the exception of Jameer at the point - we need to see what Diener brigns to the table)but again only if you have a coach that develops the young talent on the team instead of riding players who have no room to improve and are not part of the future of the organization.

quote:
(Collins) is a great guy and I respect his opinion, but let me do the basketball playing."

This is a classic reason why Jameer's play hasn't improved. Doug Collins was not only a very good coach he was also an allstar player. Collins knows what it takes to be successful and clearly Jameer doesn't. I think Jameer needs to take a step back and reevaluate his play this summer because this season has been a major disappointment.