Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

With Grant gone and a new roster, who will be our leader this coming season?

quote:
Originally posted by HighAngleEd:

i disagree. not with the talent, desire or luck, but with the leader concept. every team needs at least one guy who can dig into his teammates if he feels they are not putting forth the required effort.

i didn't like seeing howard smiling and joking on the bench while his team was getting destroyed. someone should have been on him, trying to bring out the anger needed to dominate the game.

nelson should be the leader, he already is supposed to orchestrate the entire offense as part of SVGs strategy, he should provide leadership as well. will he? who knows.

we have a very young team that needs a vet to tell them its not okay to lose. with the level of talent and DEMONSTRATED potential (not to be confused with darko's potential), we should be giants in this league. Titans among mere mortals. i see no reason why at least 3 players from our team shouldn't make the all-star game.

leadership is a fundamental fact of life. there are those who lead, and there are those who follow. we need someone to step up and tell his teammates that losing is no longer acceptable. winning is the standard, not the exception....

WOW!!! This is exactly what it's all about!!

Who are you, HighAngle?...You are right on!

I agreed with one of your earlier comments in this same thread.

You summed it up. I could not have said it better.

thanks for the compliments guys. i've been posting before but never get too much feedback. i went to one of the magic's first exhibition games in daytona beach against the heat. we lost, but i was hooked for life and have been a magic fan since. i'm currently stationed at ft hood, tx, and am looking forward to seeing the magic come to san antonio, dallas, and houston cause i'm at most a 3 hr drive from all of them. kinda in the middle you could say.....

once again, thanks for the feedback, maybe you can check out some of my other posts?

quote:
Originally posted by TrueMagicFan07

Who are you, HighAngle?...You are right on!

quote:

i'm currently stationed at ft hood, tx, and am looking forward to seeing the magic come to san antonio, dallas, and houston cause i'm at most a 3 hr drive from all of them. kinda in the middle you could say.....?

In the millitary...That figures. I felt all along that there was a connection between the insight that you have on leadership and what you do in your professional life.

This is the kind of input that we need on these boards. I'm not saying that other members' opinions are not valued, because there are a lot of posters on this board who have a lot to offer. Personally, I have learned a lot.

i appreciate that True. yes i have to admit my professional life does color just about everything for me.....i'm just hoping that orlando does good this year because my expectations are pretty high....

quote:

i appreciate that True. yes i have to admit my professional life does color just about everything for me.....i'm just hoping that orlando does good this year because my expectations are pretty high....

God bless ya man. I'm hoping our Magic do awesome this year as well.

I agree, leadership is a very important ingredient in the winning recipe. It makes the difference between a good team and a championship team.

I'm going with JJ on this one. He has a lot of fire and seems to have a real distaste for losing. Watch out for him! I love D12 and Shard, but I just don't see them in that role. Meer wants to be, but at times gets frustrated with his play and seems to then implode. To me it seemed he was vocal only when he was shooting well. If he had a bad game he would shrink away. I think JJ is ****y enough to step up to the plate. However, I would love for Howard to learn from Kidd this summer and lead!

There are many types of leaders for different situations, for example some leaders do well while everyting is going their way, others become one during crisis only.(Winston Churcill,Lincoln) Yet,one thing is common to all; they lead by example and have the respect of all their peers. This doesnt mean he has to be the most sociable or popular or highest scorer of the team, yet he has to be able to motivate others even when his individual role is not going well. I feel this will be established during the preseason tryouts.

Warlock or Auggie...

on 2nd thought, maybe not...

im gonna go DooDoo on this one...he's got the respect of everyone on the team, hes a vet, and he can lead on and off the court...where as a vet like Fat Pat wont be able to lead on the court...cuz...well...he wont be on the court...

so Dooling's where its at...

quote:

i disagree. not with the talent, desire or luck, but with the leader concept. every team needs at least one guy who can dig into his teammates if he feels they are not putting forth the required effort.

i didn't like seeing howard smiling and joking on the bench while his team was getting destroyed. someone should have been on him, trying to bring out the anger needed to dominate the game.

nelson should be the leader, he already is supposed to orchestrate the entire offense as part of SVGs strategy, he should provide leadership as well. will he? who knows.

we have a very young team that needs a vet to tell them its not okay to lose. with the level of talent and DEMONSTRATED potential (not to be confused with darko's potential), we should be giants in this league. Titans among mere mortals. i see no reason why at least 3 players from our team shouldn't make the all-star game.

leadership is a fundamental fact of life. there are those who lead, and there are those who follow. we need someone to step up and tell his teammates that losing is no longer acceptable. winning is the standard, not the exception....

Of course there are leaders and followers in the real world, but when applied to basketball the impact of that dynamic is minimal. Talent, desire and luck come first. Good example: let's say Puerto Rico has the best natural leader in the world playing on its team; they'd still lose to the USA by 30+.

Love the optimism about the Magic though--agree with you there.

i'm not disagreeing with you on the talent portion of things. those things are important and it doesn't matter if you have the best leader in the world if the rest of the guys have no ability. conversely, the greatest team ever assembled can perform poorly if they are not a team.

talent, desire, luck, leadership. you have to have it on the list. might not be the #1 attribute to have, but name one NBA championship team who didn't have a clear-cut leader on them.

the magic had TONS of talent last season. not alot of desire (from the looks of it) and no luck at all. the leader is what brings the desire out of someone, motivates them to become more than they are. i never said those 3 things you mentioned aren't important, but you have to admit the dynamic is more than minimal.

the lakers had magic (and kobe and shaq and others at different points)

boston had bird

bulls had jordan

spurs have duncan (i think he's the leader, anyone wanna chime in?)

suns have nash.....

who do we have?

We have D12 and Lewis. If you think for one second Lewis isn't going to be seen as the leader of that team you are nuts. A guy doesn't get the money he's getting to simply come in and be a shooter. He will be expected to carry that team along with D12 to another level this year. Expect his rebounds to go up, assists might even go up, and his leadership to be shown on the court. He will be the one in the huddle during a timeout firing that team up. And with him doing that, D12 will step up and help him, as will Jameer.

It's going to be a team effort for the most part, but one of those 2 guys (and i'm expecting Lewis), is going to step up and take control.