Sign in to follow this  
Live or Die Magic

Would You Consider Gary Payton?

Hey guys, an article posted in today's Sentinel (link below) but written by a Heat beat writer implies that the signing of Penny Hardaway likely means that Gary Payton has played his last game with the Heat. I don't know if that means he will retire or try to play for another team.

My question is this: would you consider adding Payton to our roster if you were GM? He would likely sign for the vet minimum, and hopefully wouldn't expect more than 15 minutes a game (similar to what would happen should Armstong be considered). He also is familiar with SVG, which would be a plus and might help negate some of Payton's minor baggage.

Could he help us? Would his experience and leadership help our young players? Could he be effective enough at both the point and the two-guard? In tight games or in a playoff push would he be a better option than our other bench players? Have I just completely lost my mind?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-penny1007aug10,0,2797242.story

Hey guys, an article posted in today's Sentinel (link below) but written by a Heat beat writer implies that the signing of Penny Hardaway likely means that Gary Payton has played his last game with the Heat. I don't know if that means he will retire or try to play for another team.

My question is this: would you consider adding Payton to our roster if you were GM? He would likely sign for the vet minimum, and hopefully wouldn't expect more than 15 minutes a game (similar to what would happen should Armstong be considered). He also is familiar with SVG, which would be a plus and might help negate some of Payton's minor baggage.

Could he help us? Would his experience and leadership help our young players? Could he be effective enough at both the point and the two-guard? In tight games or in a playoff push would he be a better option than our other bench players? Have I just completely lost my mind?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-penny1007aug10,0,2797242.story

We have 2many PG's to even consider this. Meer, Arroyo, Dooling and now Payton. Get rid of Arroyo an then we can get him. He could teach Meer the ropes of PG play. In all honesty Nelson has never had a veteran show him the way (Francis is not included cause he merely showed Meer how to turn the ball over) I only like the idea if one of our current PG's go. And by one of our PG's I mean Arroyo. He'd be better suited in getting us a big man via trade anyway.

If we picked up Payton, it would likely be to add depth at SG more so than PG.

It would be fascinating to have Dooling, Payton and Ariza on the floor at the same time against a team like Chicago. The Bulls have no inside game, so they get all their scoring from their perimeter players. Having 3 shut-down defenders on the floor against them could wreak havoc on their offense.

I've never been a big fan of The Glove but, if used properly (and SVG knows him), he could make a difference.

His biggest influence might even be what he teaches the others in practices. Another assistant coach (if he is the type that shares his knowledge, which I don't know if he is or not).

The problem with Gary is not that his running of an offense, it's how he gets scortched on defense now. The younger quicker guards look like they are in a track meet against him with Gary playing the part of spectator.

He's still one of my favorites of all time, you just have to hide him on defense, and right now that is 1 of the biggest problems we have with our PG.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

The problem with Gary is not that his running of an offense, it's how he gets scortched on defense now. The younger quicker guards look like they are in a track meet against him with Gary playing the part of spectator.

He's still one of my favorites of all time, you just have to hide him on defense, and right now that is 1 of the biggest problems we have with our PG.

Which is why I said that he would be used as a backup SG, not a backup PG. Most SGs in this league he can guard well, it's the quick PGs in the league that make him look he's standing in the dung that Riley spews out of his mouth.

It would certainly be interesting, but I'll echo Ladiesman in saying that we're pretty deep at that position right now. We'd have to get rid of at least one of those guys.

I'd like to see how Arroyo does under a real coach, but yeah: his head would be the one that would roll if we got Payton (pretty sure).

Payton's definitely a veteran PG and he didn't lose any of his height with age. He'd be a good teacher to 'Meer.

If we bring in the Glove, might as well bring back Shawn Kemp since he's lost 50lbs. It would be odd to see that duo together again in Magic unis vs Shaq and Penny in Heat unis...

If we have Payton, the logical pg to go should be Dooling, because he isn't a real pg and Payton can cover his position and, at the same time allow us try to trade Dooling for a big man like Dolearc or any other back up big man

Damm Shawn Kemp lost 50lbs wow bring him back then. Everybody else is getting veteren players that retired. We should too.