bhnole

Official 2013 NBA playoffs Thread

Has anybody else noticed that most of the Heat's runs start with a really bad call or no call? I don't think it is possible for a ref to miss things like a guy being pushed out of bounds right in front of him or calling a foul when there was zero contact.

Maybe, but I have seen a lot of runs start with stupid turnovers as well

I'm not personally calling you out, but a lot of people seem to think this way. But I just don't see it like that.

If there is a questionable call and it leads to a 2 or 3, then how does that one call allow the Heat to score more points after that initial bucket? It doesn't make sense how one call can lead to consecutive buckets thereafter. Maybe the defense broke down or the opposing players lost confidence (which I think is not a good reason).

Again, go back to Game 4 of the Pacers/Heat series. Early 4th qtr, Pacers are rolling. Then there's an INCREDIBLY poor 24 second violation called, where the ball hit the rim not once but twice. Result? No bucket for Indiana, and the Heat go on a 14-2 run and take the lead. I, and others, have said we don't know why it is, but it seems that a blown call has the tendency to result in a big run for the Heat. A 14-2 run in the 4th qtr is pretty big. Maybe Indiana was just demoralized? I don't know. I know it would have ticked me off to no end to think that the refs appeared to be favoring the Heat, making it an 8 on 5 matchup.

Again, I'm not trying to explain it, just noting that this is what happens most times after a bad call in favor of the Heat.

Again, go back to Game 4 of the Pacers/Heat series. Early 4th qtr, Pacers are rolling. Then there's an INCREDIBLY poor 24 second violation called, where the ball hit the rim not once but twice. Result? No bucket for Indiana, and the Heat go on a 14-2 run and take the lead. I, and others, have said we don't know why it is, but it seems that a blown call has the tendency to result in a big run for the Heat. A 14-2 run in the 4th qtr is pretty big. Maybe Indiana was just demoralized? I don't know. I know it would have ticked me off to no end to think that the refs appeared to be favoring the Heat, making it an 8 on 5 matchup.

Again, I'm not trying to explain it, just noting that this is what happens most times after a bad call in favor of the Heat.

You can't blame the refs for a 14-2 run when the call only potentially cost Indiana 2-points. You either have to give credit to the Heat or blame to Indiana for the subsequent run.

You can't blame the refs for a 14-2 run when the call only potentially cost Indiana 2-points. You either have to give credit to the Heat or blame to Indiana for the subsequent run.

I think he is just pointing out the odd phenomena, not totally blaming the refs??

• Upvote 2

It's weird that a team would get that much momentum and/or that demoralized by one call, especially since refs blow calls all the time...I get it. Maybe the run was coming either way and its just a coincidence? Idk

Ive always found it odd how running and jumping into the defendant who has gone straight up nearly 100% of the time nets Lebron (or Wade) an and one. Only about .00001% of the time is it called a foul on Lebron/Wade. It is truly insulting that Lebron can play nearly 6 straight games of doing this without a foul being called on him. I love Lebron's talent and feel for the game but every time he drives the lane they blow the whistle before he even elevates. After years of watching Shaq/Dwight get murdered inside without a foul I have a hard time stomaching ticky tack fouls against a bull charging the basket. A good portion of Lebrons greatness comes from the fact you cant touch him a la MJ.

As for critical fouls killing a team it is all about momentum. You see it in two minute drills in football and it happens in basketball all the time. When a team gets rattled or is tenative because of phantom fouls things slow down and the other team knows it is time to claw grab and tug at their opponents. For Lebron/Wade when this happens to their opponent it is blood in the water since they know the refs arent going to call it (on them).

• Upvote 1

Ive always found it odd how running and jumping into the defendant who has gone straight up nearly 100% of the time nets Lebron (or Wade) an and one. Only about .00001% of the time is it called a foul on Lebron/Wade. It is truly insulting that Lebron can play nearly 6 straight games of doing this without a foul being called on him. I love Lebron's talent and feel for the game but every time he drives the lane they blow the whistle before he even elevates. After years of watching Shaq/Dwight get murdered inside without a foul I have a hard time stomaching ticky tack fouls against a bull charging the basket. A good portion of Lebrons greatness comes from the fact you cant touch him a la MJ.

As for critical fouls killing a team it is all about momentum. You see it in two minute drills in football and it happens in basketball all the time. When a team gets rattled or is tenative because of phantom fouls things slow down and the other team knows it is time to claw grab and tug at their opponents. For Lebron/Wade when this happens to their opponent it is blood in the water since they know the refs arent going to call it (on them).

All of this.

QFT

To Add:

I am really sick of giving defensive credit to Shane Battier. For one his one on one defense is horrible and has never been good. Second, alot of his perceived charge taking are a tad late (foot still sliding) but gets the call (for some reason). And then watching Shane set up a pick where he basically positioned himself as a leading fullback, shoving the defense. Also netting a call in the process, which to me seems impossible not to try and fight through when someone is shoving me while moving.

Shane's play is irritating... he is like the KG of the Heat. Some might say Birdman is, but honestly he isnt that smart or crafty. Its pretty obvious when the Birdman flys off the swing.

I have always wondered why Spo didnt prepare his team better than this? During the season it was all about Lebron and win streaks, and media attention. Spo didnt incorporate his other players because he focused only on the main 3. Which in the season is fine, 3 guys can win games... the intensity isnt as high. But the playoffs are a different story, each possession is a million dollar possession.... its that intense.

We (The Magic) did a great job in using Rashard Lewis in a manner that made him productive at the same time clearing the paint for Dwight to work within. When Dwight was on the bench for foul reasons mostly, the Magic would post Lewis up for some easy baskets. Boston did a great job getting Ray Allen free while putting some wood on the defenders in the process. KG and Glen Davis used to run double screens against their opponents while Ray ran from side to side draining the 3 like he was 3ft away.

If I were Spo, those would of been the two "new" wrinkles I would added during the season, as well as shedding some minutes off my main 3 guys Wade, Bosh, and Lebron. That way when I get into the playoffs, I have some extra plays to run in those tight minutes when you need a bucket. Small Ball with Bosh, Lebron, Lewis, Allen and Wade, Postup Lewis, while running a top screen for Allen, at the same time have Wade at the opposite side looking for the backcut. There is a risk on the defensive side, but that risk doesnt change with anyone else you add/replace Lewis/Allen with. And again its for the times you need a bucket.

However, Spo doesnt run the offense that way and I have never seen him do anything else than run plays for Bosh,Wade and Lebron.... While Danny Green is killing them from 3. To me its ironic that a non "Big 3" player is the one doing the most damage and causing the most heartache. I suppose the Yankee principle applies in the NBA as well: "You cant always buy your championships".

Just a minor point. Your feet don't have to be planted to take charge. In fact, I believe I read that the refs don't even look at the defenders feet as a general rule, they look at the torso. If I can find the link to where I read that, I will post it here.

Wasn't that hard to find actually:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/23767/nba-block-vs-charge-is-different

A lot of calls that look like charges are correctly called blocks. When you rewind these plays on your Tivo, don't do what referees make fun of fans for doing: Trying to decide if the defender's feet were set before the contact.

That's not the standard.

What you want to know is: Is the defensive player's torso set in position before the offensive player begins his upward motion?

The defense can not slide into position after the offensive player has reached this stage.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9399622/2013-nba-finals-chris-bosh-miami-heat-danny-green-san-antonio-spurs-not-open

This kind of stuff cracks me up. They wait until the 6th game of the series - an elimination game, and after the player has broken the Finals 3pt record to figure this stuff out and apply it to their game plan?? Come on!!