Sign in to follow this  
~O~

Whats The Greatest Song Ever To You?

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

And for me the greatest song ever is Hunger Strike by Temple of the Dog. Honestly, I try to live my life by it.

Great choice! Chris Cornell is an insanely amazing singer. The stuff he did on the Great Expectations soundtrack was great. I saw him when he was still with Soundgarden at Lollapalooza in 97 (I think it was 97) and while he seemed really run down he still sounded great. He has a version of Ava Maria on some Christmas Comp CD and you would think it was someone like Andrea Bochelli (spelling?) but it's a freakin rock singer!

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:

And for me the greatest song ever is Hunger Strike by Temple of the Dog. Honestly, I try to live my life by it.

Great choice! Chris Cornell is an insanely amazing singer. The stuff he did on the Great Expectations soundtrack was great. I saw him when he was still with Soundgarden at Lollapalooza in 97 (I think it was 97) and while he seemed really run down he still sounded great. He has a version of Ava Maria on some Christmas Comp CD and you would think it was someone like Andrea Bochelli (spelling?) but it's a freakin rock singer!

For me, Cornell is an absolutely brilliant singer, but hit-or-miss as a lyricist. When he's on, he's hard to top(Black Hole Sun, Outshined, the giddy Spoonman, Cochise), but often times it seems like he loses himself in his own self-perceptions.

However, all of that meshed perfectly for me on the song Sunshower(from the soundtrack Marc mentioned) it's gorgeous and hard-breaking and wonderful and song amazingly, and if I ever find a way to make myself have theme music wherever I go, that'll be blasting whenever I've been having a bad time of it, and it's finally starting to get better again.

Someday we'll flower....oooooohhhhh. whooahooaaha

In a sweet sunshower...

quote:

*Greatist drunken Kareoke songs-Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond, Toxic Britney Spears

*Greatist I'm sitting on my deck thinking of reasons to not mow my lawn and drinking a margarita-Badfish-Sublime

*Greatist song that would be fatal for a person with Asthma to try and sing-Jesus Built My Hotrod-Ministry

*Greatist song to air-drum to and lose 30lbs of water-One-Metallica

lmao^^^^

However, you can't break down music like this. But if I have to choose, Bitter Sweet Symphony by THE VERVE.

Closely followed by, Garden, Leash from Pearl Jam. How dare I choose!

quote:
Greatest "My girlfriend of 4 years just dumped me out of the blue and I'm staring at the bottom of a bottle of Heaven Hill" - Closer - Josh Radin

Joshua Radin... Nice. I saw him at The Social several months back... Good show.

quote:

However, all of that meshed perfectly for me on the song Sunshower(from the soundtrack Marc mentioned) it's gorgeous and hard-breaking and wonderful and song amazingly, and if I ever find a way to make myself have theme music wherever I go, that'll be blasting whenever I've been having a bad time of it, and it's finally starting to get better again.

Someday we'll flower....oooooohhhhh. whooahooaaha

In a sweet sunshower...

Drunk, you just gave me an idea for another song catagory!

Greatist Song you would select as your theme music-Overkill (acoustic version from Scrubs) -Colin Hay

Yet another reason to love Scrubs! For some reason the acoustic version of this song fits perfect for me.

O-dub, I know I haven't been uploading songs on here for everyone to hear but it's difficult to do while I am at work. If you go to mp3sparks.com you can play a low quality version of any of the songs that we are mentioning.

*Greatist getting pumped up song-80's: "Jump" - Van Halen

*Greatist getting pumped up song-non 80's: "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen

*Greatist drunken sing along 80's: "Super Freak" - Rick James

*Greatist drunken sing along non 80's: "Freebird" - Lyrnard Skynard

*Greatest Nonsense song, 80s: "Whip It" - Devo

New Category

*Greatest Getting your lady in the mood music, 80's: "Hello" - Lionel Richie - most of his stuff worked VERY well ;-)

*Greatest Getting your lady in the mood music, non-80's: Tie between Barry White's "Can't get enough of your love" and and Marvin Gaye's "Let's get it on"

Greatest "song I'd like to sing kareoke but would never do it because I've got the wrong skin color and would be laughed off the stage even though I can absolutely NAIL the song":

Tie, "Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye

"Shake You Down" - Gregory Abbott

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Greatest "song I'd like to sing kareoke but would never do it because I've got the wrong skin color and would be laughed off the stage even though I can absolutely NAIL the song":

A friend of mine and I tried to kareoke Ebony and Ivory and I got completely lost mid-way through so I just sang all messed up and danced like Carlton. The crowd seemed to like this.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

A friend of mine and I tried to kareoke Ebony and Ivory and I got completely lost mid-way through so I just sang all messed up and danced like Carlton. The crowd seemed to like this.

Remember that whole "they're laughing at you, not with you" thing? That only works if you do something unintentional. In this case, you were purposely trying to get laughs and it worked. You made the song your own.

That would make a great nickname too.

quote:
Originally posted by nbr34205:

quote:

*Greatist drunken Kareoke songs-Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond, Toxic Britney Spears

*Greatist I'm sitting on my deck thinking of reasons to not mow my lawn and drinking a margarita-Badfish-Sublime

*Greatist song that would be fatal for a person with Asthma to try and sing-Jesus Built My Hotrod-Ministry

*Greatist song to air-drum to and lose 30lbs of water-One-Metallica

lmao^^^^

However, you can't break down music like this. But if I have to choose, Bitter Sweet Symphony by THE VERVE.

Closely followed by, Garden, Leash from Pearl Jam. How dare I choose!

good choices lol.

i agree, you can't break music down like this.

i'll try to put some favourites up per decade

70's : fleetwood mac - the chain

: simon and garfunkel - scarborough fair

80's : simple minds - don't you (forget about me)

: duran duran - a view to a kill

: neneh cherry - buffalo stance <--- disco era lol

: foreigner - i wanna know what love is <--- 'the' love song!

90's : pearl jam - release

: nirvana - smells like teen spirit

: cranberries - linger

: alanis morissette - uninvited

as for today, there are just so many...

and as some of my preferences have changed, genre wise, here's one of my favourites

chicane - offshore (original mix)

you can hear it on this site. click on the player for the right track ;-)

http://www.chicanemusic.com/content/index.html

quote:

Greatist Song you would select as your theme music-Overkill (acoustic version from Scrubs) -Colin Hay

Yet another reason to love Scrubs! For some reason the acoustic version of this song fits perfect for me.

The scene where Cox smashes his guitar was one of Scrubs' best. And I'm proud to say this(and I never thought I would), but I liked Scrubs when it first came out, back when it was some fledgling show on after Friends, before it was trendy to like Zack Braff(who is great on that show, but annoying everywhere else).

And another category: Greatest song that everyone claims to hate right up to the point where they see some clueless, awful singing 22 year old Karaoke-ing the hell out of it, then all of a sudden the song is awesome and the 22 year old is a hero - Meatloaf's I would do anything for love.