Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

The Official VC to Orlando thread. ~merged~

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

According to Brian Hill on his radio show, there were 2 people that the team targeted. He didn't say who but he did say that the reason the trade didn't happen is because the other teams were asking too much. It would have set us back further so it didn't make sense.

He also said that Darko was one of the people that teams were asking for and he is one of the people that the team has deemed untouchable.

I hate Napoleon but he could be telling the truth on this one. All the LA rumors I heard said that Thorn wanted Bynum before they would deal Kidd. Mitch Kupchak would have to be every bit as stupid as Shaq said he was to make that trade.

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

maybe BHill influenced the Magic to pass on VC.

You're onto something there Knappy. I believe Brian Hill doesn't want him here because he knows Vince wants to win.

He probably feels Vince will run him out, he's a veteran so he's not going to put up with a coach who is a loser.

I really can't blame Brian Hill for being tramatized from the Penny revolt.

However, I can blame him for putting his own interests ahead of the Magic's. Dear God, I hope that rumor isn't true, and just something started by a BHill hater. (Of which there are many!)

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/02/magic_did_inqui.html

quote:
As it turns out, the Magic did indeed ask about Nets star Vince Carter before the trade deadline.

GM Otis Smith, curiously, revealed this tidbit after Thursday's practice at RDV after swearing for days that there was nothing going on with Carter. (I'll take it all back if Smith talked to the Nets hours before the trade deadline).

As it stands now Smith, obviously never read about George Washington chopping down the cherry tree. Or the Pinnochio tale.

Of course, all sports GMs lie.

Reminds me of the anecdote from boxing promoter Bob Arum. When a reporter asked Arum why he changed his story in 24 hours, Arum said, "Yesterday I was lying. Today I'm telling the truth."

Then again, maybe Smith is just letting Magic fans and sponsors know that he tried, honestly, to do something. Thus the flirt with Carter.

According to Smith, he talked to Nets GM Rod Thorn and the price for Carter was too high.

One report a few days ago said the Nets had asked for Darko Milicic, Hedo Turkoglu and J.J. Redick.

Is that really too steep for an all-star?

Is that too steep when you need a big-time scorer?

Sure, Tony Battie is hurt and they Magic would be terribly short on bigs unless the Nets threw in a body or they picked up somebody. But this is a trade you make not for this year, necessarily, but for the next four or five.

What's wrong pairing Carter with Dwight Howard, Grant Hill, Jameer Nelson and Trevor Ariza? You;d have three all-stars at various stages of their careers: Howard at the beginning, Carter in the middle and Hill at the end.

That's a corp you can win with and become a perennial playoff contender.

Yes, Milicic might end up being a very good big, but now he's terribly inconsistent. You know what Carter can do for you.

I that's no lie.

quote:
You're onto something there Knappy. I believe Brian Hill doesn't want him here because he knows Vince wants to win.

Then like it or not Otis made the right choice. There was no sense trading for Vince to be put in a war that he might choose to walk away from leaving us empty handed. Right now Hill is BY FAR the greatest problem with this team.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/02/magic_did_inqui.html

quote:
As it turns out, the Magic did indeed ask about Nets star Vince Carter before the trade deadline.

GM Otis Smith, curiously, revealed this tidbit after Thursday's practice at RDV after swearing for days that there was nothing going on with Carter. (I'll take it all back if Smith talked to the Nets hours before the trade deadline).

As it stands now Smith, obviously never read about George Washington chopping down the cherry tree. Or the Pinnochio tale.

Of course, all sports GMs lie.

Reminds me of the anecdote from boxing promoter Bob Arum. When a reporter asked Arum why he changed his story in 24 hours, Arum said, "Yesterday I was lying. Today I'm telling the truth."

Then again, maybe Smith is just letting Magic fans and sponsors know that he tried, honestly, to do something. Thus the flirt with Carter.

According to Smith, he talked to Nets GM Rod Thorn and the price for Carter was too high.

One report a few days ago said the Nets had asked for Darko Milicic, Hedo Turkoglu and J.J. Redick.

Is that really too steep for an all-star?

Is that too steep when you need a big-time scorer?

Sure, Tony Battie is hurt and they Magic would be terribly short on bigs unless the Nets threw in a body or they picked up somebody. But this is a trade you make not for this year, necessarily, but for the next four or five.

What's wrong pairing Carter with Dwight Howard, Grant Hill, Jameer Nelson and Trevor Ariza? You;d have three all-stars at various stages of their careers: Howard at the beginning, Carter in the middle and Hill at the end.

That's a corp you can win with and become a perennial playoff contender.

Yes, Milicic might end up being a very good big, but now he's terribly inconsistent. You know what Carter can do for you.

I that's no lie.

Personally, I don't think that's what New Jersey was demanding. I think B Schmitz is on the Magic payroll and somebody slipped that across his desk and told him to post it in his blog to defuse fan anger. Thorn would have to know that by proposing that trade he wouldn't be taken seriously at the negotiating table. That would run the risk of losing the Magic's interest from the start.

It's like your neighbor coming over to see that you have 3 brand new, sleek porsches in your garage and offfering to trade you his Bentley with 100,000 miles on it. Anytime, that neighbor ever brought up the subject of vehicles again, you would think he was crazy.

In this instance, obviously NJ and Orl couldn't come to terms on a deal. But, in my opinion, it was not the deal that Schmitz posted in his blog. That's just an attempt on the Magic's part to save face with the fans. And look how well it has worked. The very same people that were posting yesterday about giving up on the Magic and Otis are now saying "Wow. we have the greatest GM in the NBA. Otis is sooooo smart not to trade Darko, Hedo, and JJ." If that's the only deal that we could get NJ to offer, then maybe he isn't that smart after all.

Look at it this way. If Hedo and JJ were acceptable to NJ, How could we not convince them to take Fran and a future 1st round pick to substitute for Darko? I think it all came down to whether or not the Magic were willing to let JJ go to NJ.

Just my opinion.

Someone is still mad that Otis didn't sell the farm to get a player that can be acquired in the offseason eh?

Now the media conspiracy conjectures are hoisted up. Darko and any young promising player (future all star or not) would be too much.

Great no move Otis. I for one and most other fans appreciate a steady head. Find a way to get the owners to hoist Bhill and next year you will be GM of the year.

I could see that Darko and Ariza were being asked for Vc in return mainly because they are the only 2 talented guys that are untcouhable on our team. And really, the asking price is too much. Not to consider that they will be re-building if they traded VC.

Otis made a good job by standing back from the ridiculous asking price for VC.

ORLANDO: F-minus-minus-minus

I like Otis Smith's philosophy here: We don't own a 2007 No. 1 pick, our team is sinking like a stone, we have Grant Hill's expiring deal ($16.9 million) to move for an asset and save our season, we desperately need scoring ... screw it, let's stand pat. Hey, that's one way to keep your job -- just don't do anything. How can the Magic fire you if you don't do anything? I'd like to see how long Otis could keep this strategy going -- Orlando's owners probably won't catch on for another 2-3 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070223

I figured we could use some good news around here or at least something positive to look forward to next season. I found this in a "blog" written by Dave D'Alessandro. He is the Nets beat writer for the Newark-Star Ledger.

Apparently the New York writers were in such a hurry to paint a "positive" picture of Vince re-signing with the team that they left out a couple of key remarks that Vince did or in this case "did not" say. Check it out:

quote:
Opt-Out Talk, Reprise

Posted by Dave D. March 01, 2007 2:32PM

Carter claimed he hadn't heard anything about Ratner's remarks today, which is not surprising, since he still tends to get his news via Pony Express. So somebody told him during the media scrum.

His initial response: Shrug, shrug.

"Nothing. I have nothing to say," he said. "I mean, it's great to hear. Believe me, if you have the support of the owner who wants you back, and believes you're an important part of this team, it's a great feeling."

You heard him. He feels great.

No, really great.

"It's a good feeling that he believes in my ability and what I bring to the team," he said later.

When told that Ratner would embrace the luxury tax like most of us would a fanged ferret, Vince said, "That's a better thing to hear from an owner who believes in your ability. It's great to hear. It helps. It always helps."

This is going to be a scintillating three months.

I love the part where it says Vince shrugged his shoulders and said, "I have nothing to say"! Then realizing he still plays for the Nets and should politically correct he says, "it's good that he believes in my ability". It's almost comical.

Man, I don't know if you guys are aware of it but the Nets haven't lost a game since before the trade deadline. Carter has been "un-stoppable". Kidd is slightly injured so Vince is basically carrying that team. They don't have any post presence.

I know trading season is over but I sure wish Vince was helping us right now.

http://blog.nj.com/netsblast/2007/03/optout_talk_reprise.html