Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

The Official VC to Orlando thread. ~merged~

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Marc - speaking of venom...It's a good thing we don't play at home until Friday. Can you imagine the fans reaction if there was a game tonight and Otis doesn't make a move? Friday will still be pretty bad I imagine though. Especially at the end of the game if we get blown out again.

Between that and the comment about free agency, I don't imagine that the reception is going to be too warm. I just don't get it, what are they seeing that is leading them to believe that this team just needs time? Sure Dwight and Darko and Trevor and Jameer are going to develop but that still doesn't address the scoring problem, or the effort issue.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of fans at the game have never read a sports page, and couldn't even tell you the GM's name. They won't react negatively because they are completely oblivious to what is going on. Many of them are just a bunch of corporate big-shots, or their kids, who haven't the slightest clue as to what is going on.

They may 'boo' when the team plays badly in a particular game, but they don't know enough to 'boo' the performance of the organization.

Proof? They still cheer when Brian Hill is introduced. Enough said.

Thorn might be the wrong guy for Otis to play hard ball with. Why wouldn't Thorn just alow Vince to walk and provide the team with 17 million worth of cap space? Thorn has nothing to lose by not trading Vince.

Mr. Charisma,

You are so right!!!!

You have pointed out the major reason why we never do what needs to be done to get the team better. Their fan base is made up of people who don't care enough about the game, but count themselves as fans.

To the Magic, the people on these boards mean very little. They may respect what we say, but they know we are not their bread and butter.

Their bread and butter are the people who couldn't name 3 players on our team, thought Shaq was overrated because he couln't hit free throws, root for Jeff Turner and Pat Garity and would be up in arms if we EVER fire Brian Hill.

I don't mean to sound negative even though that all my posts have been negative. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

quote:

Thorn might be the wrong guy for Otis to play hard ball with. Why wouldn't Thorn just alow Vince to walk and provide the team with 17 million worth of cap space? Thorn has nothing to lose by not trading Vince.

True but wouldn't it make more sense to at least get something? A pick? some post it notes? anything?

quote:

Actually they would have no cap room other than the MLE. Taking VC off only brings them down to around 53 mill including Krstic's caphold (similiar to Darko's just not as large). The cap is estimated to be around 57 to 58 mill. next year. They won't have much room unless they move Kidd, Collins or Jefferson ($38 mill combined).

quote:

Thorn could lose out on an extra 1st round pick!!! Which would be very stupid on his part. He should trade Vince for G Hill and Diener, then he could trade Diener to Suns for one of there 1st round picks.

If Thorn stands pat and gets nothing for Vince, then he will be blasted in the off-season when he walks for nothing!!!!

This is also true for Seattle and Lewis!!!

These GM's need to be happy to get at least a pick and not add payroll......

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:

Actually they would have no cap room other than the MLE. Taking VC off only brings them down to around 53 mill including Krstic's caphold (similiar to Darko's just not as large). The the cap is estimated to be around 57 to 58 mill. next year. They won't have much room unless they move Kidd, Collins or Jefferson ($38 mill combined).

To me, the interesting thing about NJ is tha tthe Carter/Kidd/Jefferson combo has proven to not work well enough to bring them a title, and kidd and carter aren't getting younger. Meanwhile, they can't pick up anyone in FA, because they're contracts are so bogged down. WIth the exception of those three, and the painfully overpaid Collins, no one on that team makes more than 2 million, and name one good FA that'll come play for that amount.

Thorn needs to blow up his team. It's a shame that it looks like we weren't aggressive enough ot force him to.

quote:
Originally posted by Magicman28:

Chad is on a roll.

league GMs: Why dont most of us relize that to build a championship team you have to make deals and actively tweak your roster.

Chad Ford: (12:57 PM ET ) There's some truth to what you say. Look at the Pistons in 2004 when they made the bold move of getting Rasheed Wallace. Lots of us criticized it, but it put them over the top. The Heat went through a major overhaul in the summer of 2005 and win it all in 2006. I think that too many GMs are risk adverse. They play it safe with the status quo and tell everyone that they tried to make a deal but couldn't. To me the best GMs are the ones that roll the dice. If I owned a team, I'd want a GM who was bold enough to take a chance at greatness instead of milling around at just about .500 every year. If you look at the best GMs in the league ... Joe Dumars, Donnie Walsh, Jerry West ... they aren't afraid to make a big deal and their teams are usually better off for it.

This is my kind of reply.

It's called risk -vs- reward assessment. If we evaluate a mediocre team and decide not to take a risk, what type of reward are we hoping for?

It's how I run my company, and I believe it's how any important decisions get made.

quote:
Originally posted by TheJambo:

quote:

Thorn could lose out on an extra 1st round pick!!! Which would be very stupid on his part. He should trade Vince for G Hill and Diener, then he could trade Diener to Suns for one of there 1st round picks.

If Thorn stands pat and gets nothing for Vince, then he will be blasted in the off-season when he walks for nothing!!!!

This is also true for Seattle and Lewis!!!

These GM's need to be happy to get at least a pick and not add payroll......

You're right if that's the deal that's being offered. Too bad we're in the dark as far as what's actually on the table.

I'm not prepared to blast Otis yet (especially since I would expect the Nets to wait until the last minute to agree to less than what they want).

If it comes out conclusively that he really thinks this is the team without using Grant's cap space then I'd load up the cannons but if he knows theres nothing he wants out there what else is he supposed to say?

Despite what Ford says theres been enough reports to indicate there were few people chomping at the bits to get Grant's contract. theres still time to go. As far as I recall the deal just has to be done by 3 PM with the league office not announced by that time in the media.