Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsTheYear

Was Jameer really the source of the collapse last night? My analysis.

Like many of you, when I watched the game last night, I thought that putting back Nelson was what almost brought our own downfall........but it wasn't. What separates Jameer's stats from high assists players like Deron Williams or Nash, are the players surrounding them. The Magic are one of the poorest, if not the poorest outside shooting teams in the league. I watched the game last night twice, since I recorded it, to see what the problem in that collapse was. To my surprise, it was definitely not Jameer.

He stayed on his man throughout the 4th quarter, and passed much more than he shot. I calculated how many times he assisted on missed shots, and here they were:

Hedo (3 times, 3 misses)

J.J. (3 times, 2 misses)

Trevor (2 times, 1 miss)

Grant (2 times, 1 miss)

Tony (3 times, 2 misses)

Dwight (2 times, 1 miss) Those are nine extra assists that he could of had, and mind you, only two of them weren't wide open.

Turnovers: (Tony couldn't handle one of them, Hedo couldn't handle one of them, one was a bogus offensive flop call, and the other one was a legit one, a pass that went out of bounds)

So, as you can see, he did his part in the game. It was our big men that had the sudden collapse on defense. During the last few minutes of the game, the Jazz scorers were: Okur, Paul Millsap, and a three by Fisher (who J.J. was guarding due to a screen).

I liked the idea of Keyon and Redick as our backcourt, but I made this thread solely to back up Jameer's game.

Just my take on it. Sometimes, you have to see something more than once to really understand what happened.

Like many of you, when I watched the game last night, I thought that putting back Nelson was what almost brought our own downfall........but it wasn't. What separates Jameer's stats from high assists players like Deron Williams or Nash, are the players surrounding them. The Magic are one of the poorest, if not the poorest outside shooting teams in the league. I watched the game last night twice, since I recorded it, to see what the problem in that collapse was. To my surprise, it was definitely not Jameer.

He stayed on his man throughout the 4th quarter, and passed much more than he shot. I calculated how many times he assisted on missed shots, and here they were:

Hedo (3 times, 3 misses)

J.J. (3 times, 2 misses)

Trevor (2 times, 1 miss)

Grant (2 times, 1 miss)

Tony (3 times, 2 misses)

Dwight (2 times, 1 miss) Those are nine extra assists that he could of had, and mind you, only two of them weren't wide open.

Turnovers: (Tony couldn't handle one of them, Hedo couldn't handle one of them, one was a bogus offensive flop call, and the other one was a legit one, a pass that went out of bounds)

So, as you can see, he did his part in the game. It was our big men that had the sudden collapse on defense. During the last few minutes of the game, the Jazz scorers were: Okur, Paul Millsap, and a three by Fisher (who J.J. was guarding due to a screen).

I liked the idea of Keyon and Redick as our backcourt, but I made this thread solely to back up Jameer's game.

Just my take on it. Sometimes, you have to see something more than once to really understand what happened.

Nyce work, man. And I've thought this all year but never posted it but another reason why Meer's assists numbers are low is because players miss open shots. Getting assists is a two-way street; one player has to make the good pass to the open man, the receiving player needs to knock down the open shot. Another thing that doesn't help is the number of ISO players/plays we run every game. That will certainly erase any possible assist. But, in conclusion...good research and post.

I beleive that is true statement with the stats on assists. But don't you think that is a typical game for all point guards. I mean unless a team shoots 75% for the game over half of the PG's passes are going to be misses. I would look at that maybe the problem is he only passed the ball 15 times to a player who was a scoring threat at the time. Only 15 possesions. Doesn't that sound a bit low or am I wrong?

Those are very valid points man. I sometimes think that we are a little too quick to jump on our point guards much like we are sometimes to quick to jump on the coach (most of the time its his fault but not always). I only saw the 3rd and 4th quarters but when Jameer was in he didn't over dribble and the offense was flowing but guys weren't making shots. It also seemed to me that the Jazz were building momentum before Jameer even got into the game. Dooling was clearly tired and Jameer did a decent job last night. That alleyoop pass to Dwight was huge.

Like I posted like nine times, its clearly not the point guards fault they are low on assist.

The point guard passes and yet people turn over the ball, miss open shots, and just up fake and pass the ball again.

I was watching Jameer close to but he really needs to put more energy into his defense.

Eventually Carlos and Jameer got tired of teammates turning the ball over/missing open shots and decided to rely on their offense much more than there unreliable teammates.

quote:
Originally posted by magic07:

I beleive that is true statement with the stats on assists. But don't you think that is a typical game for all point guards. I mean unless a team shoots 75% for the game over half of the PG's passes are going to be misses. I would look at that maybe the problem is he only passed the ball 15 times to a player who was a scoring threat at the time. Only 15 possesions. Doesn't that sound a bit low or am I wrong?

The Jazz made seemingly every open shot that they acquired. By assisting, I meant that he found somenoe who was open. He also only played 28 minutes last night. Plus, how many times have you seen one of our PG's give the ball up to an open wing player, only to see them not take the shot. It's because their confidence in their outside shot was dropping due to the early open misses. He passed a LOT last night, and the open players only connected on five of the assists. He also had two very nice full court fast break passes to Dwight and Grant.

My take on this...

Jammer sat on the bench the entire 4th quarter along with Grant Hill and then they both had their number called with little time remaining. They were both cold and the players they were replacing were exhausted. I think B Hill needs to make this move about a minute or two sooner. He needs to allow his players to get into the flow of the game along with our opponents players. Too often our opponent start to get into the groove while our subs are wearing down and then we bring in our starters cold.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

My take on this...

Jammer sat on the bench the entire 4th quarter along with Grant Hill and then they both had their number called with little time remaining. They were both cold and the players they were replacing were exhausted. I think B Hill needs to make this move about a minute or two sooner. He needs to allow his players to get into the flow of the game along with our opponents players. Too often our opponent start to get into the groove while our subs are wearing down and then we bring in our starters cold.

Good point, plus the Jazz could not miss from three point land (Okur banked on in after throwing it up off balance). Dooling and JJ did a hell of a job, but they were playing very hard on both ends and were looking winded.

Our lack of a crunchtime scorer will be this teams achilles heal until it can be addressed this summer. Until then we need to put teams away in the 3rd, especially bad ones.

i agree with your point, ThisIsTheYear. I watched and only 3 times did i really yell at jameer...and three times i was cheeering him saying "yeah keep playing like that!!"

I guess I looked at it wrong, I wasn't watching what he was doing individually, but what the team was doing. I agree that he is a good passer and that he would have a LOT more assists if the other players finished better/more.

But i'm also very happy with Keyon right now, he seemed like he was a totally different player playing at the PG position. I hope he can do that a lot more.