Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Somebody that knows better correct me if I'm wrong... I think with the worst record you are guaranteed a top 5?

Worst we can do is 4th

Well, I know my thought is if you know another team REALLY wants Noel and is willing to give you #2 or #3 and another pick for him, you do the two-for-one trade, since you still get Burke and weren't going to take Noel anyways.

I get that. But what I think I'm hearing is that we shouldn't draft Burke because he isn't a number 1 pick, rather than because he isn't what this team needs.

• Upvote 1

So, I know there's a passionate debate over McLemore. Aside from the wingspan/height debate, what does he offer? He's clearly not as versatile as a Klay Thompson. It looks like he can dunk over college dudes on the break and shoot uncontested threes.

. What else can he do?

So, I know there's a passionate debate over McLemore. Aside from the wingspan/height debate, what does he offer? He's clearly not as versatile as a Klay Thompson. It looks like he can dunk over college dudes on the break and shoot uncontested threes.

. What else can he do?

Not sure you can really argue what he clearly is or isn't just yet.

If everything was this clear, the draft would be rather simple.

Noel is an intriguing prospect, but in my opinion, he's not even the best center, much less the best player, available in this year's draft. Maryland sophomore Alex Len is bigger and more skilled than Noel.

Len (7'1, 255 pounds) will be one of the biggest centers in the NBA, while Noel (6'10, 230 pounds) will be one of the smallest. There's no position in the NBA where size is more important than center, since they spend so much time locked in wrestling matches for position in the paint. At least initially, Noel will have a difficult time dealing with the size of guys like Marc Gasol (7'1, 265 pounds), Roy Hibbert (7'2, 280 pounds) and Dwight Howard (6'11, 265 pounds). Even someone like Chris Kaman (7'0, 265 pounds) will be able to bulldoze him on the block fairly easily.

Noel's relatively narrow shoulders and slight build should really worry NBA teams. Len put on nearly 40 pounds of muscle between his freshman and sophomore seasons of college, but Noel's frame probably can't support that type of weight gain. In that respect, he's similar to Davis, his predecessor at Kentucky, who came into the league at 6'11 and 220 pounds. As a result, he rarely played the center position for the Hornets, who brought in Robin Lopez (7'0, 255 pounds) to handle most of the banging down low. Instead, Davis transitioned to power forward, playing on the perimeter far more than he did in college.

http://www.sbnation....en-nerlens-noel

Most GMs project Noel to play PF and slide to C in smaller lineups.

He is a nice match next to Vuc, since Vuc has the offense already developed and can play the role of PF on offense (on the elbow for high-low for example).

You beat me to it. On this team, Noel would take the PF assignment most nights and we can match up as need be. The writer in this article seems to be painting a picture of a big-man dominant league and most teams playing inside-out, while in reality the NBA is trending away from slothy big men and towards athletic front courts that can run the floor. Having said that, I would not select Noel to be my center but believe he would complement Vuc quite well.

He is a nice match next to Vuc, since Vuc has the offense already developed and can play the role of PF on offense (on the elbow for high-low for example).

My thought, too: he's a 4.

Who was the german guy? Where's he projecting to go? Schroeder or some such? I lived in Germany, you'd think I'd know this stuff.

I think this was better point on both of these guys.

Of course, the great known unknown for both is their medical history. Neither Len nor Noel will be able to participate in pre-draft workouts or summer league. Noel will be out at least 9-12 months while he recovers from ACL surgery, and Len will be out 4-6 months with a stress fracture in his ankle. Considering how many centers taken in the top five have struggled to stay healthy, those are massive red flags for any NBA team.

I won't be unhappy if we take Noels but would rather we get a healthy player with a high lottery pick than gamble on an injured big.

I'm not suggesting we take Len, just like to read other viewpoints. I've been on board taking Noel as a 4 next to Vuc for awhile to shore up interior defense.