Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

McLemore is working out with the Magic now as I type this. Hopefully someone slips something to know how it goes or went.

I've warmed up to McLemore recently as well as cooled down on Noel. Just about 2 weeks left until the draft. I'll be satisfied regardless of who we pick, I trust our front office to do their due diligence.

The Magic have been aggressively doing due diligence on dozens of players, but they are also looking at what else they can accomplish with their picks and their roster players.

Magic GM Rob Hennigan was routinely hopping around the gym in Italy either on the phone or sitting with different executives throughout the workouts in Treviso. It was clear he was kicking the tires on everything he could, but it is interesting to note the Magic did spend time with Dallas, who is looking at moving their first round pick and possibly a roster player to gain additional cap space.

Hennigan finished the tournament sitting with Utah’s Dennis Lindsey, and word is the Jazz have been exploring their options too.

The Magic were pretty forthcoming that they were still aggressively working so it’s unlikely that anything is real from the trip to Italy, but as the draft gets ever so closer don’t be surprised to see Orlando involved in a few things as there was a sense among the other executives that the No. 2 pick could be had.

Let me contrast this to Dave Twardzik and Otis Smith:

"Zzzzzzzzz.....what....who woke me up? Are you kidding me Fran Vasquez is still there?"....Dave

"Wait...who is Fran Vasquez....did we even bring him in?...Otis

"No that's the beauty of it...we didn't bring anyone in...so no one will have any clue who we want. I didnt have to put any effort into this confusing and over rated draft thing that comes aroung every year for some reason. Thankfully I still got paid just the same. Maybe we should trade MJ...uhhhh I mean Fran away for a second rounder in 2020."...Dave

"Sorry Dave Ive already traded our first and second that year but we could inquire about getting Gilbert Arenas on our roster"...Otis

"No way..."...Dave

"Way....we'd have Gilbert AND Rashard....two of the highest priced guys in the league on our roster...at one time...."...Otis

"With their first pick of the 2005 NBA Draft the Magic select Fran Vasquez"...David "Montgomery Burns" Stern

The rest is history. Thank the basketball gods for a gm with a brain.

• Upvote 1

While frustating to be in the dark I do love the fact that even the experts have no clue what Henny is doing.

LeBron is not a lights out shooter. McLemore very athletic at 6'5 190 and LeBron is more athletic at 6'8 250. LeBron also has better handles, passing, vision, and defensive ability than McLemore could dream of. I like Ben and he's on my short list of players to take at #2, but let's not get carried away.

LeBron was 6'8 when he was 18. Watch him out there real carefully, especially when he's standing next to someone like Rashard (who's 6'10). I'm willing to bet LeBron's AT LEAST 6'9, now.

LeBron was 6'8 when he was 18. Watch him out there real carefully, especially when he's standing next to someone like Rashard (who's 6'10). I'm willing to bet LeBron's AT LEAST 6'9, now.

I was being rather conservative. I hear speculation pretty frequently that he's something like 6'9 260-70, which is insane.

I've warmed up to McLemore recently as well as cooled down on Noel.

I'm on the same boat.

--

I'd really love to get a top 3 pick next year. Even if we miss on Wiggins we can take Julius Randle (who I really like) and Jabari Parker who's pretty damn good

No matter what we do, after these next 2 drafts, we'll probably have to bench either Harkless or Harris. Who do you think would be the best fit as a 6th man?

I obviously think Harris would be an amazing bench player because of his energy, but I also think he might not want to play that role because he's too good.

I guess Harkless wouldn't be too happy being a 6th man either but if we get McLemore I think we should start him.

McLemore is not an "immediate energy" guy - that's usually reserved for more selfish players e.g. JR Smith - but he could be a great spot-up shooter (the same way Shane Battier plays better as a starter).

--

A team I'd be really happy with would be

Vucevic/O'Quinn

Randle/someone?

Tobias/Harkless

McLemore/energy SG, Lance Stephenson type of guy

Schröder/Nelson

Vucevic-Randle could be a Gasol-Randolph like combo offensively. Defensively they'd have to improve a lot, but time is on their side

Nelson would be a great 6th man, in my opinion

That team would take the pressure off a lot of guys, no one would be the clear star (Memphis/Indiana/San Antonio/2008 Boston way) and it would be a really fun team to watch.

We could have a tough time keeping it together (many potential stars) but it is what it is

EDIT: I completely forgot we had Andrew Nicholson, which is not a good thing.

I'd love Born Ready on this team. See: Redick trade proposals.

Stephenson, sort of like Redick, is one of those guys that aren't incredibly gifted (athletically) but he has the heart of a lion. I love that about any sports practitioner

I'm on the same boat.

--

I'd really love to get a top 3 pick next year. Even if we miss on Wiggins we can take Julius Randle (who I really like) and Jabari Parker who's pretty damn good

No matter what we do, after these next 2 drafts, we'll probably have to bench either Harkless or Harris. Who do you think would be the best fit as a 6th man?

I obviously think Harris would be an amazing bench player because of his energy, but I also think he might not want to play that role because he's too good.

I guess Harkless wouldn't be too happy being a 6th man either but if we get McLemore I think we should start him.

McLemore is not an "immediate energy" guy - that's usually reserved for more selfish players e.g. JR Smith - but he could be a great spot-up shooter (the same way Shane Battier plays better as a starter).

--

A team I'd be really happy with would be

Vucevic/O'Quinn

Randle/someone?

Tobias/Harkless

McLemore/energy SG, Lance Stephenson type of guy

Schröder/Nelson

Vucevic-Randle could be a Gasol-Randolph like combo offensively. Defensively they'd have to improve a lot, but time is on their side

Nelson would be a great 6th man, in my opinion

That team would take the pressure off a lot of guys, no one would be the clear star (Memphis/Indiana/San Antonio/2008 Boston way) and it would be a really fun team to watch.

We could have a tough time keeping it together (many potential stars) but it is what it is

EDIT: I completely forgot we had Andrew Nicholson, which is not a good thing.

I think a lot of us lost hope with Nicholson developing into a starter, but fortunately we get to see another season of him before the deliciously top-forward heavy 2014. I also hope that the FO does something with Afflalo-especially if we go with Depo or Benny this draft. I guess questions like these are part of the reason why so many people want the safety of the Burke pick.

And although I agree with the necessity of starting McLemore (once again assuming, among other things, that Afflalo is gone), I think Harris would be better off the bench than Harkless. I'd also like to go out a limb and say that Oladipo would be far better than McLemore as a 6th :D

I think a lot of us lost hope with Nicholson developing into a starter, but fortunately we get to see another season of him before the deliciously top-forward heavy 2014. I also hope that the FO does something with Afflalo-especially if we go with Depo or Benny this draft. I guess questions like these are part of the reason why so many people want the safety of the Burke pick.

And although I agree with the necessity of starting McLemore (once again assuming, among other things, that Afflalo is gone), I think Harris would be better off the bench than Harkless. I'd also like to go out a limb and say that Oladipo would be far better than McLemore as a 6th :D/>

Yeah, it's all about mentalities. Some people thrive under pressure (they want to be the best guy on the court, either as a starter or coming off the bench) and that would be a role better suited for Victor Oladipo.

McLemore should never have the pressure of being the best guy on the court because I think he wouldn't be able to handle it, and there's nothing wrong with that. You have to know your role, otherwise you'll have guys like Big Baby who aren't even all-stars but want to play like superstars.

And yeah, I agree that Harris would be a better 6th man than Harkless because he's simply a better player. My doubt was if Harris would be OK coming off the bench. Some people like being the Manu Ginobili / OKC James Harden guy but others don't. Harris has the potential to be an All-Star so I don't know how he would feel