Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

I think there are two relative sleepers in this draft for the Magic:

1. Otto

2. CJ

I think Dennis Schroeder is a real sleeper. I'd draft him with the hope that our culture can rub off on him. I'm not sure about Otto... I think he is a very good player but I don't think he's an allstar and I'm not certain he'll be better than Hark or Harris. CJ is a guy I really like, just worried about his PG skills, he's not a great passer out of the pick and roll.

I could get behind McCollum or Schroeder, just not with the top pick

Obviously not. Both of those picks (and Otto too in my opinion) require trading down.

Question here...

What's the point of "drafting down" to pick a player like McLemore? If you can end up with the #1 pick then why not just get him? If drafting down, don't you run the risk of someone ahead drafting him? Thanks in advance!

That would certainly be the concern with the four teams that can get the first pick. Of them all the only team that would pass on McLemore is the Cavs since they have Waiters, but ourselves, the Suns and Bobcats all potentially need a shooting guard (unless of course the Bobcats re-sign Henderson). For me, if McLemore is the guy that we want, and we pick first, then we should go for it unless one of the other lottery teams offers us their lottery pick and their other first round pick (the Cavs have a lottery pick plus the 19th; the Suns have theirs plus a 30th; and the T-Wolves have a top ten pick and the 26th pick).

Now if the T-Wolves came along and said we'll give you our top ten pick and our 26th, then we could do a trade in that scenario if they really want a player like Noel or McLemore. Statistically they are likely to have the 9th pick, and in mocks they see Shabazz going there, he could be an option at SG; otherwise we could grab a player like Oladipo, Olynyk or MCW with the 9th pick. Not sure who will be available come the 26th, but we could grab a decent late first round pick to add further talent. Though personally I'd probably still rather see us draft one of McLemore, Burke or Noel.

Obviously not. Both of those picks (and Otto too in my opinion) require trading down.

Yes ... I was talking generally.

Ben McLemore's former AAU coach said he was paid cash and other benefits to sway McLemore to leave Kansas after one season and declare for the NBA draft, according to a USA Today report.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9243019/2013-nba-draft-former-aau-coach-paid-sway-ben-mclemore-enter-draft-according-report

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/big12/2013/05/04/kansas-jayhawks-ben-mclemore-darius-cobb/2131775/

Ben McLemore's former AAU coach said he was paid cash and other benefits to sway McLemore to leave Kansas after one season and declare for the NBA draft, according to a USA Today report.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9243019/2013-nba-draft-former-aau-coach-paid-sway-ben-mclemore-enter-draft-according-report

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/big12/2013/05/04/kansas-jayhawks-ben-mclemore-darius-cobb/2131775/

Seems like money wasted to me... He is 21 years old already and had to redshirt a year because of failure to meet academic requirements... Of course he was going to enter the draft...

I sure hope some agency wasted a lot of money on trying this with Marcus Smart though.

All 14 lottery teams have a chance to get the first pick.

Should have been more clear, the four teams with the best chance to win. Didn't feel like going through every lottery team.

That would certainly be the concern with the four teams that can get the first pick. Of them all the only team that would pass on McLemore is the Cavs since they have Waiters, but ourselves, the Suns and Bobcats all potentially need a shooting guard (unless of course the Bobcats re-sign Henderson). For me, if McLemore is the guy that we want, and we pick first, then we should go for it unless one of the other lottery teams offers us their lottery pick and their other first round pick (the Cavs have a lottery pick plus the 19th; the Suns have theirs plus a 30th; and the T-Wolves have a top ten pick and the 26th pick).

Now if the T-Wolves came along and said we'll give you our top ten pick and our 26th, then we could do a trade in that scenario if they really want a player like Noel or McLemore. Statistically they are likely to have the 9th pick, and in mocks they see Shabazz going there, he could be an option at SG; otherwise we could grab a player like Oladipo, Olynyk or MCW with the 9th pick. Not sure who will be available come the 26th, but we could grab a decent late first round pick to add further talent. Though personally I'd probably still rather see us draft one of McLemore, Burke or Noel.

If we pick up a late 1st, Crabbe would be a nice two guard (if we did not get bmac) that can run the JJ type plays that JV has and give us a nice shooter.