Sign in to follow this  
Greg Kite for Three!

Darko is really gone (Denton)

Well here is hoping Gortat can kick some more butt this week. The guy has size and athletism and unlike Darko plays with heart and scraps with the best of them.

I really am shocked that Darko did not force his agent to work with Otis, since Orlando freed him from Detroit and gave him a chance.

I know it is summer league but how many bigs get SIX assists!

Obviously not the news any of us wanted to hear...

I can't imagine that Otis is just going to go into next season with Dwight, Tony and Augguie/Gorat as the only bigs.

I would love to see Darko back, but if he does not return I certainly will not look at it as the end all for the Magic. I still have to question how much desire he truly has to play this game, especially since you have literally heard NOTHING out of him this entire time. I know it is not uncommon for agents to handle the bulk of the negotiating, but Darko has been exceptionally silent the entire time.

If he does indeed walk, Otis will still need to clear some cap room to find one more big for next year. Dwight, Tony, a more developed Auggie/Gorat and then an established vet like a joe smith, etan thomas, brendan haywood would definitely soften the blow just a little bit.

I also agree that Varejeo would be a great replacent. Isn't it ironic that we once had the rights to Varejeo??

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Well here is hoping Gortat can kick some more butt this week. The guy has size and athletism and unlike Darko plays with heart and scraps with the best of them.

I really am shocked that Darko did not force his agent to work with Otis, since Orlando freed him from Detroit and gave him a chance.

bhnole, I think you should edit your sig. It's hard for me to watch....

if this is all true, i would expect to hear a statement from either cornhole, i mean cornstein or darko himself pretty soon.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:

bhnole, I think you should edit your sig. It's hard for me to watch....

I know I kept Darko in the hopes he would come back. Guess I will need to pull out the photoshop again.

the worst part of this(other than imagining a team centered around tmac and dwight, which im sure wed still have bc after a year of playing with dwight, tmac couldnt help but resign), is that we say through the draft this year for 3-4 hours of nothing when we couldve been sittin at 15 and got sg or bigman depth for little cost

I've tried to stay positive through all of this but I have just about had it. We keeping wasting opportunities that good teams do not. Good teams don't piss off agents no matter how obnoxious they are because you never know when you are going to have to deal with them again. Good teams don't lose young players with talent for nothing. Good teams don't let valuable assets like expiring contracts expire if the intention is to not resign that player. Good teams don't trade away first round picks for nothing. Finally good teams don't agree to contracts that are nearly un-tradeable the second they are signed. We have done all of these things in the last six months. I'm so tired of mediocrity when there are so many blueprints out there, like the Spurs, on how to do this thing right.

I will admit we have some options with expiring contracts and possibly cap space if a sign and trade is completed but history tends to repeat itself and if that holds true then we won't get the best bang for our buck.

Sorry for the rant. I just needed to spout off some steam.

quote:

THanks for being positive cause right now theres not much to be happy about. Alright I'll join in!! Let's hope Gortat turns out better than Milicic!! lol

To be honest LilPenny would rather see Gortat than Battie at C.

That is painful, if nothing else he was an asset, we should have tried to get something out of him. We just gave up our #1 pick this year for nothing and now we are thin up front.

I know we can try for other front court help but none of the options look too good. I gotta think that if Darko was that sure of a thing than they would not have handled things this way. I mean he is a 7ftr that can block shots and shoot and has a post game and no one is beating down the door to get at him. If he was really that sought after why would Memphis be looking at Anderson 1st? Why wouldn't Chicago who needs a post scorer be calling?

I really hope this doesn't get added to the laundry list of things that have come to bite us in the rear end.

Let's keep a little perspective here...we are all sad about what we could be losing more than what we are losing. We are losing a guy that averaged less than 10 points per game and only reached double figure rebounds in 7 out of 80 games. To put that in perspective Joe Smith (playing 6 less minutes a game) accomplished the feat 10 times. How many times did we see Darko miss an easy lay up or take a running out of control hook shot over a much smaller defender? It said a lot when other teams would cover Darko with their small forward sometimes. Sure he had some great moments, but so do a lot of players. We are sad losing what he could be someday, which is a little easier to bear. It has been four years now and everyone is still waiting for Darko to 'turn it on.' Maybe he will maybe he won't, but I'm not ready to give Otis the "Brian Hill" treatment until I see Darko putting up consistent double doubles for some other team.