Sign in to follow this  
Ellzolo

NBA Offseason 2013 Thread

In the proposed Aldridge trade we would still have our 2014 pick, make the trade at/near the deadline and we are looking at a young/strong core with still a darn good draft pick in 2014...maybe not the top one, but likely a mid lotto pick anyway. Harris is perfect trade bait, and if we do get a top pick in the draft it will likely be a SF...so I think Harris' time is relatively short here anyhow. Furthermore, he isn't THAT good. Sell high.

I fail to see how taking a more balanced approach to rebuilding and not relying solely on luck is a 'crime on humanity' or whatever. Seems like a poorly thought out statement from someone with a flair for dramatic statements. We would still have a good draft pick plus a (slightly) better cap situation than we do now to be bigger players in FA. Is it a crime merely because we don't put ourselves in the best position possible for the draft lottery? I contest putting your eggs into that basket is by far a bigger insult to humanity considering math and history don't really jive with that rationale.

• Upvote 1

RETRO:

In the proposed Aldridge trade we would still have our 2014 pick, make the trade at/near the deadline Had you intended your suggestion to be a midseason trade, you'd have said that. You didn't, because you didn't. You don't get to hedge on your bad ideas just because it becomes clear that everyone thinks they're terrible. and we are looking at a young/strong core Aldridge is a fringe all-star who will be 28 when the season starts with still a darn good draft pick in 2014...maybe not the top one, but likely a mid lotto pick anyway. This is an asset that we likely would have anyways, so you don't get to count it as a benefit of the trade. In fact, the trade likely makes our pick worse. So you're selling something as a trade asset that is, in fact, a trade negative. Harris is perfect trade bait, and if we do get a top pick in the draft it will likely be a SF... Well I'm glad you've figured out exactly how the season will play out for 30 teams, how the draft lottery will shake out, which college players will have good seasons, and who will decide to not declare early in your bold prediction of exactly what position the Magic's draft pick will play. It's doubly impressive that you are so confident he'll play the same position as Harris, given that Harris plays two positions for us. so I think Harris' time is relatively short here anyhow. Which is a statement you would really need to back up if you want to use it as part of an argument, which you ostensibly do. Furthermore, he isn't THAT good. No one is THAT good. Largely, because when you set a qualifier with no context, it's meaningless. Jordan couldn't dunk from half court. He wasn't THAT good. Sell high. We wouldn't even be getting great value, so it's hardly selling high. Harris/Davis/a 1st/CAP relief is honestly, far more valuable than Aldridge is, particularly if he wants out.

I fail to see how taking a more balanced approach to rebuilding and not relying solely on luck is a 'crime on humanity' or whatever. Easy: your suggestion isn't balanced. You add millions in salary over the next two seasons while not benefiting the team long term. That's not a "more balanced approach to rebuilding". That's "The artist formerly known as murphy13 has heard of a guy in Portland named Lamarcus Aldridge who was an allstar, and now wants him on the Magic. That's it. That's all this is. Nevermind that he'll make over 29m over the next two years, despite being a 21/9 player who doesn't pass well and never plays defense. You've heard of him, so he must be great. That's the way it works. Seems like a poorly thought out statement from someone with a flair for dramatic statements. I was obviously being overly dramatic. That's kind of my schtick. But the fact that you've managed to identify a key component of the DOM character after only 6 years of me writing it is impressive. I'm proud of you. We would still have a good draft pick plus a (slightly) better cap situation than we do now to be bigger players in FA. Aldridge makes 6m a year more than Harris and Davis combined. So our total "savings" for our "better cap situation" would be negative 6 million dollars in CAP room, plus whatever we had to pay Watson. But at least we'd be also giving up a pick. Is it a crime merely because we don't put ourselves in the best position possible for the draft lottery? No. Had I wanted to say that it was, I'd have said that. What I said was, in essence, that your trade idea is terrible. I contest putting your eggs into that basket is by far a bigger insult to humanity considering math and history don't really jive with that rationale. And strawman.

• Upvote 4

There's a rumor going around twitter that the Magic are going to sign Jason Maxiel.

Wojo makes it official. 2 Years. Some sites are saying 5 million.

Forgot to mention Harrington was included in the original deal to make $ work w/out using exception. Could sub AA in for him instead, but preferred to use him for another transaction such as a late lotto/mid first in '14 or future first.

Forgot to mention Harrington was included in the original deal to make $ work w/out using exception. Could sub AA in for him instead, but preferred to use him for another transaction such as a late lotto/mid first in '14 or future first.

So we give up ANOTHER asset, while creating another roster slot we have to spend money to fill in the process.

At this point, I'm thinking this must be a prank. It's like you're just actively thinking of ways to make your already terrible trade worse.

Wojo makes it official. 2 Years. Some sites are saying 5 million.

Free agent big man Jason Maxiell will join the Magic, according to Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News (via Twitter). Although Goodwill calls the news "official," there's been no announcement from the team yet, but it appears the two sides have an agreement in place. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports confirms (via Twitter) that it will be a two-year deal.

The Magic haven't been very active in free agency this offseason, which is no surprise, since it's not like the club is a player or two from contention. A report last week suggested Orlando wanted to add depth at point guard and center though. Since then, the team has agreed to sign Ronnie Price at the point, and has now agreed to terms with Maxiell. The 30-year-old isn't a traditional center, but the team sees him as someone who can play some minutes in the middle as well as at power forward, according to Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel (via Twitter).

Maxiell is coming off a four-year contract that paid him $5MM annually, so he'll see his salary cut roughly in half -- Goodwill tweets the two-year deal is worth about $5MM overall. Wojnarowski adds in his story that the second year of the contract will be a team option, which perhaps means it will be non-guaranteed.

The former Cincinnati Bearcat has spent his entire eight-year NBA career in Detroit, after being drafted by the Pistons in the first round of the 2005 draft. In his most recent season with the team, Maxiell started 71 of his 72 games, averaging 6.9 PPG and 5.7 RPG in 24.8 minutes per contest.