Sign in to follow this  
djmase20

Otis gets torched on FoxSports.com

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

we land the "top" FA of this year and we are still stupid.....and by the way, this guy doesn't know WTF he is talking about.....

I don't know. I am still happy with what he has done so far. We still need to give him some time to finish what he is doing this offseason. Give the man a break, he's been doing a pretty good job so far.

This has been the only time I recall disagreeing with you because you dont seem to accept at least some of his bad moves. Do you think this newsperson is prejudiced totally? Do you realize our team may be lacking in depht again this year to make a run for the finals? Do you think his push for Jameer as opener is totally justified without make him earn it? I really hope you are right but I have great misgivings of what is coming next week.

quote:
Originally posted by djmase20:

These sports writers are IDIOTS. Either you over pay for a guy like Lewis, or you get nothing. I would rather over pay. Its not often an All Star wants to change teams and come to YOUR team. You jump on it and dont look back.

I agree with you. The NBA free-agency structure is set up where it is very hard to get top notch talent to just leave from one team to another. You have to overpay for guys like Lewis. I would rather be paying him max money than Steve-O right now.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:

we land the "top" FA of this year and we are still stupid.....and by the way, this guy doesn't know WTF he is talking about.....

I don't know. I am still happy with what he has done so far. We still need to give him some time to finish what he is doing this offseason. Give the man a break, he's been doing a pretty good job so far.

This has been the only time I recall disagreeing with you because you dont seem to accept at least some of his bad moves. Do you think this newsperson is prejudiced totally? Do you realize our team may be lacking in depht again this year to make a run for the finals? Do you think his push for Jameer as opener is totally justified without make him earn it? I really hope you are right but I have great misgivings of what is coming next week.

No he has made some bad moves. Fran is a big one. But technically he did not draft Fran by himself, he had a co-gm that was in charge of the recruiting and told him Fran was a good pick, and they decided together to pick the spaniard. So its not totally his fault. He did not hire BHill, maybe he signed the contract, but BHill's approval came from hire up and he was forced to sign him. Again, he wasn't the only GM then. So what I mean is that a lot of these sports writters that don't really follow our team are writting junk without knowing all the facts.

Jameer is not our starter, I am sorry, he would have to have a magical year to change my mind on that. Our team was deep and still is, but it was used incorrectly in my opinion, and that's not Otis' fault.

I am not 100% happy with the deals so far, I mean I am happy we landed a top FA and a scorer, but we still need some big bodies. What I mean is that it is too soon to be judging the man and nailing the coffin, I am sure he is not done.

Give him another week and when our roster picture is clearer then lets bash him....

quote:
Originally posted by djmase20:

wow... Otis really gets his balls handed to him in a sling in this one...

quote:

With some NBA general managers, you don't even wonder what they are thinking.

You wonder if they are thinking.

I'm talking about you, Otis Smith. And you, Kevin McHale. And to a lesser extent, I'm talking about you, too, Danny Ainge. (I know what Ainge is thinking. I just think it's foolish.)

Smith, the Orlando general manager, must think he "won" this year's free-agent sweepstakes. After all, he signed Rashard Lewis, the biggest name on the market. But Smith might regret that

quote:

quote:
Give him another week and when our roster picture is clearer then lets bash him....

Done deal.

Dulce!!!! I mean...SWEET!!!!we have a deal then....If he can't pull anything else we can say he sucks and I will finally change my signature picture..

quote:

Dulce!!!! I mean...SWEET!!!!we have a deal then....If he can't pull anything else we can say he sucks and I will finally change my signature picture..

If you don't mind. I'll join in with ibonedteribell. Its fair enough and I am hoping Otis pulls this out despite his gaffe with the phone calls. In OTIS we....Hope. I really won't think he totally sucks even if we lose Darko but ARiza or JJ? Get ready for the bashing. Until then. GO Otis!

I like how people are hyping next years free agency

I wonder how much of those free agents will actually make it there???

Wasnt this one a deep free agency???

Next years looks appealing bujt there will be maybe one or two stars that may may switch teams... But I even doubt that will happen

Guys I'm sorry but the only part I disagree with the article was the one where the writer suggests Otis picks have been busts. That's nonsense. I'm sure that same writer was among the ones who used to call Milicic a bust.

Really there's no difference between what some expert/commentator says to what the conclusion the knowledgeable fan can get to. Bottom line is we get Lewis but we're also not getting him cheap and only playing "to win now" basically just like Miami.

Lewis and Darko could've been both signed easily, if Otis and Co. had done their homework and made that a priority. There's no question. Otis just like some of us are strongly opinionated. The truth is he values Jameer and undervalues Darko more than some of us do. He also truly believes getting big name guys and making big PR is part of getting there while like some, (LiLPenny included) believe there are other ways that probably suit us better.

We'll be happy when Lewis signs, no doubt. But, there are other ways Magic could have gotten better without spending so much money and deciding they need to get rid of some pieces. Keeping Nelson for cheap does not beat losing Grant Hill or Darko for nothing.

Some ways might make championship contention more distant by a season or two but might be better if the team wants to be there year after year. With some thought and a few moves we could assemble a roster (we were getting there nicely) without lately overpaying anyone, just by drafting/dealing for young, talented guys who just needed a chance to play.

Maybe Otis and the powers that be on the Magic put themselves in this situation and it's too late to save it, but losing Milicic is one of the dumbest moves we'd ever have done. Even with the bust label, Milic coudl have been deal earlier for sometihng of value.

^exactly. Most of these guys are going to get extended. This year's FA class looked AMAZING before last season started.

honestly - I don't agree with how Otis handled the Darko situation - but how many times have we heard "7 footer with an upside" in the NBA?People overrate it so much. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan-o-Darko and wish to see him back...but we got the proven player. Not the project. Not the potential. The guy who gives you production on a nightly basis. The guy who doesn't have questionable work ethic. And there's still talk about us landing other all-star caliber players.

screw these writers and their bigs with their upsides.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No he has made some bad moves. Fran is a big one. But technically he did not draft Fran by himself, he had a co-gm that was in charge of the recruiting and told him Fran was a good pick, and they decided together to pick the spaniard. So its not totally his fault. He did not hire BHill, maybe he signed the contract, but BHill's approval came from hire up and he was forced to sign him. Again, he wasn't the only GM then. So what I mean is that a lot of these sports writters that don't really follow our team are writting junk without knowing all the facts.

Jameer is not our starter, I am sorry, he would have to have a magical year to change my mind on that. Our team was deep and still is, but it was used incorrectly in my opinion, and that's not Otis' fault.

I am not 100% happy with the deals so far, I mean I am happy we landed a top FA and a scorer, but we still need some big bodies. What I mean is that it is too soon to be judging the man and nailing the coffin, I am sure he is not done.

I can

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

I like how people are hyping next years free agency

I wonder how much of those free agents will actually make it there???

Wasnt this one a deep free agency???

Next years looks appealing bujt there will be maybe one or two stars that may may switch teams... But I even doubt that will happen

Well next year Calderon should be available and he'd be a better pickup for the Magic for various reasons than any PG who is a free agent this year (yes Billups included).

Honestly LilPenny doesn't feel like typing all the options the Magic could have gone for, but they certainly look better than losing Darko & Grant for nothing, getting nothing in the draft, all while keeping some players that will take us nowhere. Getting Lewis is nice but for the money and the pices we're letting go of and still could end up without... at best we're even.