Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Magic and Seattle working out a S&T

quote:
SEATTLE - Rashard Lewis is leaving the Northwest and taking his game to Orlando.

One of the most sought after free agents this offseason, Lewis agreed to a ``maximum contract'' with the Magic, his agent Tony Dutt said Tuesday.

Lewis made the decision late Monday night after meeting with Magic officials in Orlando.

``He had a comfort and a gut feeling and he feels they have a championship core, and that's what he wants to do is win a championship,'' Dutt said.

The terms of the deal are still being worked out. He's expected to receive a deal in the range of $15 million per season. The Magic wouldn't comment Tuesday, citing league rules that an agreement cannot be announced until July 11.

Orlando can only sign Lewis to a five-year contract, while Seattle could sign Lewis to a six-year deal. Dutt said the Magic and Seattle are in discussions about a sign-and-trade deal that would give Lewis that sixth-year, help Orlando clear some salary and give Seattle something in return.

``That he's going to Orlando doesn't change the fact that he had good years in Seattle,'' Dutt said.

Lewis opted out of the final two years of his contract with Seattle in late May, leaving behind a guaranteed $21 million.

Seattle, the only team Lewis has played for, had the first chance to meet with the 6-foot-10 forward Sunday morning in Houston. Seattle was among 20 teams that contacted Dutt on Sunday, the first day of NBA free agency.

Soon after his meeting with Seattle, Lewis boarded a plane for Orlando and liked what he heard from the Magic, including the chance to play with Dwight Howard.

``He feels like they're going to be good for a long time,'' Dutt said. ``It was important knowing that Howard was going to be around a long time as well.''

Lewis is coming off his best season, when he averaged career-highs in points (22.4), rebounds (6.6) and assists (2.4). His age (28 next month) and his versatility to hit 3-pointers or score on the low block made Lewis a targeted commodity for many teams.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4939905.html

Otis looking like a genious if this works out our way!

quote:
SEATTLE - Rashard Lewis is leaving the Northwest and taking his game to Orlando.

One of the most sought after free agents this offseason, Lewis agreed to a ``maximum contract'' with the Magic, his agent Tony Dutt said Tuesday.

Lewis made the decision late Monday night after meeting with Magic officials in Orlando.

``He had a comfort and a gut feeling and he feels they have a championship core, and that's what he wants to do is win a championship,'' Dutt said.

The terms of the deal are still being worked out. He's expected to receive a deal in the range of $15 million per season. The Magic wouldn't comment Tuesday, citing league rules that an agreement cannot be announced until July 11.

Orlando can only sign Lewis to a five-year contract, while Seattle could sign Lewis to a six-year deal. Dutt said the Magic and Seattle are in discussions about a sign-and-trade deal that would give Lewis that sixth-year, help Orlando clear some salary and give Seattle something in return.

``That he's going to Orlando doesn't change the fact that he had good years in Seattle,'' Dutt said.

Lewis opted out of the final two years of his contract with Seattle in late May, leaving behind a guaranteed $21 million.

Seattle, the only team Lewis has played for, had the first chance to meet with the 6-foot-10 forward Sunday morning in Houston. Seattle was among 20 teams that contacted Dutt on Sunday, the first day of NBA free agency.

Soon after his meeting with Seattle, Lewis boarded a plane for Orlando and liked what he heard from the Magic, including the chance to play with Dwight Howard.

``He feels like they're going to be good for a long time,'' Dutt said. ``It was important knowing that Howard was going to be around a long time as well.''

Lewis is coming off his best season, when he averaged career-highs in points (22.4), rebounds (6.6) and assists (2.4). His age (28 next month) and his versatility to hit 3-pointers or score on the low block made Lewis a targeted commodity for many teams.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4939905.html

Otis looking like a genious if this works out our way!

Yo NYCE. any speculation as to what the pieces that need to come together entail?

I keep eyeballing Arroyos contract - and his services are needed out there...... and I wish I could say Tony Battie.. just because his salary is inflated and I really dont think his "vetran leadership" , which amounts to a mediocre 7 pnts / 5 boards on teams that went nowhere...

I also understand why Hedo keeps coming up, his salary and duplication of his game and Rashards makes it seem as though he would be a nice fit for Seatle to replace RL, that begs the question of whether they trust their youngs in that role.....

but I would like to keep him around, and have him coming off the bench...

I guess the real question is what does Seatlle want from us...

You think Otis is willing to give them the 1rst rounder as well.. I bet Seattle wants it included..

Dude, I think Otis is only willing to give up Arroyo, Turk, Tony, and MAYBE Dooling; Garrity is easy, lol. I do also think a 1st rounder is a must.

If I'm Seattle, I'd take Arroyo and future 1st only. Since they're shopping Ridnour, they'll need a backup to Watson. Arroyo also expires, so it isn't much of a gamble. I wouldn't take Turk or Tony because their contracts ruin my plans to be FAR under the cap in the summer of '09. Both contracts expire one year later.

I wouldn't doubt them asking for JJ, Ariza, or Jameer; but we know Otis won't do it. Maybe JJ, but who knows?

Otis won't mind giving up a 1st rounder to convince Seattle to take one of our contracts so we can also re-sign Darko. The pick will most likely be later in the round anyway =)

You know what I was thinking about and I do not know if this is true or feasible.

I think Phoenix has their pick and an unprotected pick from Atlanta in 2008.

Step 1. Trade Arroyo, Garrity (plus $ to cover a buy-out), and a 1st rounder to Seattle

Step 2. Trade Grant Hill to Phoenix for their first round pick

Step 3. Have both Darko and Rashard on the team next year with a late 1st rounder.

i knew otis is not going to let darko just walk out the door. less than 24 hours later the sonics already realized they better S&T kuz shard is OURS.

if we can work this out and retain darko while signing shard to the max someone email david stern to go head and put otis name on the GM of the year trophy

I agree with you Nyce. I can only see Seattle taking back expiring deals, young players, and/or draft picks. So, Arroyo and Garrity may be in play though I'm sure Orlando would have to include cash to pay all of Garrity's salary to make this work. They may also like Redick, Ariza, and Nelson. My guess is that if they agree to take on Arroyo and or Garrity to help us lower salary then we are either going to have to give them one of those three young players as well or future first round picks. They aren't going to want Battie or Turkoglu's multi-year contracts.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNoles:

i knew otis is not going to let darko just walk out the door. less than 24 hours later the sonics already realized they better S&T kuz shard is OURS.

That speculation was only in the media. Neither the Magic or Seattle ever stated that Rashard was going to give up his sixth year and we never officially mentioned anything about renouncing Darko. Nothings changed. We were going to do a sign and trade before to make it work and thats what we are going to do.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNoles:

That speculation was only in the media. Neither the Magic or Seattle ever stated that Rashard was going to give up his sixth year and we never officially mentioned anything about renouncing Darko. Nothings changed. We were going to do a sign and trade before to make it work and thats what we are going to do.

Have you grasped the sign and trade concept yet? Shard is ours, and there's nothing Seattle can do about it. Like I said before, Seattle can either (a) let Lewis go for nothing or (B) take expiring contracts, role players, and future picks in return for Rashard.

If Seattle doesn't work cooperatively in a sign and trade, Lewis is ours for 5 years, and they get absolutely nothing in return. WE have the leverage.

quote:
While confirming Lewis' agreement, his agent, Tony Dutt, told the Sentinel that the Magic also are trying to find a way to keep power forward Darko Milicic... "They're trying to do something to keep Darko," Dutt said.

I hope Darko stays, I want to see Orlando's frontcourt consist of Lewis, Darko and Dwight, that would be quite good lineup.

But if Orlando signs Lewis, keeps Darko and works something out for Wallace, the summer will be perfect for them.