Sign in to follow this  
All Eyes On Me

2024 Off-season Thread

1 hour ago, Jay Magic said:

When i think of Dwight, i always think of the saying „the grass ain’t always greener on the other side“

I still love his Orlando Era. After that though, it all went south…

Question: I did this in the past, maybe somebody would be interested to open a thread were we can talk off season development. 

I find that aspect quite interesting, because. lot of people have different opinions on what individual players need to make the next step..

somebody interested to opening a thread?

my off-season take: 

FO needs to address two specific areas imo. 

3 point shooting is the obvious. We need to be careful with this. I understand fans want to swing big. But i don’t see an Alpha type player fitting into this team chemistry and also hierarchy. This is Paolo and Franz team. I don’t think it would be beneficial to bring in that Alpha player. 

So for 3 point shooting i’m really looking into Simons and Monk. I’d try to go for Simons first but i don’t think we’ll sacrifice those assets and we’ll keep building. So realistically Monk is that perfect addition in FA

The other area of concern is post up play imo. We got exposed in that sense. WCJ can space the floor, but he can’t even post up a smaller player. His post game has somehow regressed into garbage to be honest. Also i have issues with his low motor next to Paolo who also tends to have motor “issues”. So my prime target is either Claxton, or Hartenstein! I prefer Claxton! 

so we added two premier role players.

Now we onto the draft. I see us betting on a developmental prospect. I see Jett stepping up to the Magic rotation next year, that means we could draft a player like Salaun and let him develop in the G League. Or Tyler Smith. I’m still thinking of Da Silva, but he’d be more NBA ready and probably ready to contribute right away. 

In FA, we bring back Ingles to the staff, give Fultz a veteran minimum and maybe even bring back Okeke. He takes Schoefields role, with the upside of him developing and showing awesome Okeke (before the  constant injuries)

So in my ideal world, this is our rotation

PG: Suggs, AB, Fultz

SG: Monk, Anthony, Howard

SF: F. Wagner, Isaac, Houstan, Okeke

PF: Banchero, M. Wagner, T. Smith

C: Claxton, WCJ, Bitadze 

Now that’s a team that will make that next step. I also see nice team chemistry and the hierarchy is still intact 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

my off-season take: 

FO needs to address two specific areas imo. 

3 point shooting is the obvious. We need to be careful with this. I understand fans want to swing big. But i don’t see an Alpha type player fitting into this team chemistry and also hierarchy. This is Paolo and Franz team. I don’t think it would be beneficial to bring in that Alpha player. 

So for 3 point shooting i’m really looking into Simons and Monk. I’d try to go for Simons first but i don’t think we’ll sacrifice those assets and we’ll keep building. So realistically Monk is that perfect addition in FA

The other area of concern is post up play imo. We got exposed in that sense. WCJ can space the floor, but he can’t even post up a smaller player. His post game has somehow regressed into garbage to be honest. Also i have issues with his low motor next to Paolo who also tends to have motor “issues”. So my prime target is either Claxton, or Hartenstein! I prefer Claxton! 

so we added two premier role players.

Now we onto the draft. I see us betting on a developmental prospect. I see Jett stepping up to the Magic rotation next year, that means we could draft a player like Salaun and let him develop in the G League. Or Tyler Smith. I’m still thinking of Da Silva, but he’d be more NBA ready and probably ready to contribute right away. 

In FA, we bring back Ingles to the staff, give Fultz a veteran minimum and maybe even bring back Okeke. He takes Schoefields role, with the upside of him developing and showing awesome Okeke (before the  constant injuries)

So in my ideal world, this is our rotation

PG: Suggs, AB, Fultz

SG: Monk, Anthony, Howard

SF: F. Wagner, Isaac, Houstan, Okeke

PF: Banchero, M. Wagner, T. Smith

C: Claxton, WCJ, Bitadze 

Now that’s a team that will make that next step. I also see nice team chemistry and the hierarchy is still intact 

That PG group isn’t going to get us there.  We need a quick guard who can effectively get into the paint without frequent turnovers to get things going on offense.  

3 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Winning a championship is NOT the owners #1 priority goal. Prove me wrong. 

We had one of the highest payrolls in the league in The Dwight Era.  Signed Lewis to a crazy max contract. Brought in Tmac, Hill, and almost Duncan to huge contracts…… 

1 hour ago, MagicMan1979 said:

We had one of the highest payrolls in the league in The Dwight Era.  Signed Lewis to a crazy max contract. Brought in Tmac, Hill, and almost Duncan to huge contracts…… 

TMac was not a huge contract. Hill was, but was seriously injured. Duncan should have been but Doc killed it. So almost doesn’t count. Lewis was the only big contract from the Dwight era. Some good contracts but not big. 

since then? Crickets

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

That PG group isn’t going to get us there.  We need a quick guard who can effectively get into the paint without frequent turnovers to get things going on offense.  

Yeah, I can't stomach seeing Suggs at PG after this season. The Suggs PG experiment is over. He's the SG, and they need to find the right pairing for him in the backcourt.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

TMac was not a huge contract. Hill was, but was seriously injured. Duncan should have been but Doc killed it. So almost doesn’t count. Lewis was the only big contract from the Dwight era. Some good contracts but not big. 

since then? Crickets

They will pay if we are a contender. They’ve shown it in the past. I have included a link that shows their salary rank each year.

In 2010-11 they had the 2nd highest in the league (Arenas was on the team).

In 2016-17 they were 8th (Biyombo).  So also be careful what you wish for Fan. They have to sign the right players

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/orlando_magic/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MagicMan1979 said:

They will pay if we are a contender. They’ve shown it in the past. I have included a link that shows their salary rank each year.

In 2010-11 they had the 2nd highest in the league (Arenas was on the team).

In 2016-17 they were 8th (Biyombo).  So also be careful what you wish for Fan. They have to sign the right players

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/orlando_magic/

Arenas? Wow forgot about that horrendous contract. Yeah I have zero faith in them signing the right guy(s) aka Byombo and Ibaka. 

1 hour ago, Shine88 said:

Yeah, I can't stomach seeing Suggs at PG after this season. The Suggs PG experiment is over. He's the SG, and they need to find the right pairing for him in the backcourt.

Amen 

42 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Arenas? Wow forgot about that horrendous contract. Yeah I have zero faith in them signing the right guy(s) aka Byombo and Ibaka. 

Those were Dark times for sure.  Hopefully they get a Lewis or a Horace?  I’d be very happy with that level of talent but at guard this summer.