Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

Phenomenal game yesterday, especially after the slow start which could have demoralized them but didn’t.  Lots of credit to Mosley for getting them to play with the necessary energy and focus after the first quarter.  Definitely one of the top five high points in my long suffering fan relationship with the Magic. Felt great after watching that game.  

19 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think you play Suggs on Mitchell, Harris on Garland, Franz on Strus, Paolo on Mobley and JI on Allen. 

The reason you play JI on Allen is because Allen has no post game so you can switch a Mitchell/Allen pick and roll then so long as you can box Allen out you take him out of the game on offense. 

It could also work with Franz on Allen. See this video for in depth breakdown of what I'm talking about: https://youtu.be/Y-Eq5WvTq30?si=erY2blSPnJKO7vCu

Great video thanks for sharing. 

Do you think Cavs start Strus or Okoro? 

14 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Great video thanks for sharing. 

Do you think Cavs start Strus or Okoro? 

I thought they'd start Strus. But then maybe they start Okoro to guard Franz? 

If anything I think that's preferable for us on defense. Okoro is much less threatening off ball so you can hide Paolo on him and Franz on Mobley then any actions with Mobley as the screener you probably feel ok switching Franz onto a guard and scram switching behind to get Harris/Jalen off of Mobley. 

Cavs can counter with using Okoro as the screener but he's less natural at it whereby I think I'd be ok playing Paolo at the level and not switching and just living with a rolling/popping Okoro trying to beat us.

When they play Okoro I think that could also open up some jumbo lineups for us with Franz/Paolo/Isaac/WCJ all on the floor at the same time.

For everything I just mentioned I'll be surprised if it's not Strus starting.

He's a different proposition, you need someone quick footed to chase Strus around screens so he doesn't get open at all times. I think that could open up Markelle minutes because I've been impressed with him guarding off ball shooters at times this year and when you're playing Markelle at essentially the 3 (with either Gary or Franz at the 2) you can switch a lot of actions with Strus as the screener. Just whether Markelle can offer enough offensively to stay on the floor. 

43 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I thought they'd start Strus. But then maybe they start Okoro to guard Franz? 

If anything I think that's preferable for us on defense. Okoro is much less threatening off ball so you can hide Paolo on him and Franz on Mobley then any actions with Mobley as the screener you probably feel ok switching Franz onto a guard and scram switching behind to get Harris/Jalen off of Mobley. 

Cavs can counter with using Okoro as the screener but he's less natural at it whereby I think I'd be ok playing Paolo at the level and not switching and just living with a rolling/popping Okoro trying to beat us.

When they play Okoro I think that could also open up some jumbo lineups for us with Franz/Paolo/Isaac/WCJ all on the floor at the same time.

For everything I just mentioned I'll be surprised if it's not Strus starting.

He's a different proposition, you need someone quick footed to chase Strus around screens so he doesn't get open at all times. I think that could open up Markelle minutes because I've been impressed with him guarding off ball shooters at times this year and when you're playing Markelle at essentially the 3 (with either Gary or Franz at the 2) you can switch a lot of actions with Strus as the screener. Just whether Markelle can offer enough offensively to stay on the floor. 

Nice breakdown.  I go the other way because Cavs think they have enough scoring without Strus, but want Okero to show down Franz. 

1 hour ago, MagicFanDan said:

Nice breakdown.  I go the other way because Cavs think they have enough scoring without Strus, but want Okero to show down Franz. 

We'll see game 1. 

Franz has been pretty bad against Cleveland his whole career so I'm slightly concerned about him in this matchup. I think it's the rim protection more so than the individual defense that causes his struggles.

Saying this as someone who is no longer a local and isn’t going to the games. The Magic dropped the ball on playoff prices. Nosebleeds are triple in Orlando than what they’re selling them at in Cleveland.

6 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Saying this as someone who is no longer a local and isn’t going to the games. The Magic dropped the ball on playoff prices. Nosebleeds are triple in Orlando than what they’re selling them at in Cleveland.

The sad thing about playoff games at home is that the majority of people attending are wealthy people that don't even follow the team all year.

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2024 at 8:23 PM, Soul Bro said:

We did it!!! Free fish and chips for everyone from Jay and CTMagicUK!!!

hahaha i hate fish and chips...

and pie and mash... 

FREE NANDOS FOR ALL .. CT should agree?

54 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Have they announced gametime Saturday? 

Nope, dates have been announced but no times for any game yet. I’m sure they’re waiting on the play-in. I’d expect some times to get solidified tonight after we know who the 7 seeds are. League is licking their lips at a potential Nuggets vs Lakers and Celtics vs 76ers first round.