Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

What an amazing win. There’s something to be said about what confidence and getting hot at the right time can do for a young team. Jalen Suggs is modern day Darrell Armstrong, except he doesn’t have to play on a rebuilding team like DA did. Quickly becoming an all-time Magic favorite. Paolo and Franz… what can ya say.. just excited for the future of this team!

Also, I left tonight extremely unimpressed with Zion. He has no bag, he’s just a big physical guy that can’t shoot and can’t control his body. Wound up with 5 fouls but probably should’ve had about 11. His flexing and smack talking on the finish when he clearly went up with an elbow through JI’s face that didn’t get called was a huge turnoff. I admittedly haven’t watched much Pelicans this year, but the talking heads have been hyping the Zion train lately and I certainly didn’t see it tonight.

what a great game! That energy was contagious! I’m saying this, having to watch the game without audio! Finally we stepped up in a difficult matchup. 

The next gameday could be nice for us! 

Heat vs Pelicans

Pacers @ Warriors

Sixers @ Lakers

One of my favourite performances of the year. Paolo couldn't get it going so he got on the glass and made some great passes and the offense picked up for him. Suggs was incredible. JI was great. Franz apparently is a better shooter with a hand in his face than when left wide open. Defense on Zion was terrific. Big win. 

And the Knicks lost so the Magic are officially the 4 seed. 

Need the Pels to use that extra rest we gave them and go down and whoop Miami tonight.

I think Markelle played very well last night. I'm very proud of last night's performance.

As I've said before, I don't know anything about stats. For me, it's the eye test.

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I think Markelle played very well last night. I'm very proud of last night's performance.

As I've said before, I don't know anything about stats. For me, it's the eye test.

Markelle is great for the locker room, and chemistry. He’s also a great calming influence for such a young team. What it comes down to is his strengths are redundant with players that are better than him. He’s gonna sign with someone like San Antonio that can surround him in a lineup with 5 shooters and he’ll have a career as an oft injured backup. I fully expect him gone this off-season. He just doesn’t fit anymore, we need guards that can shoot.

10 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Markelle is great for the locker room, and chemistry. He’s also a great calming influence for such a young team. What it comes down to is his strengths are redundant with players that are better than him. He’s gonna sign with someone like San Antonio that can surround him in a lineup with 5 shooters and he’ll have a career as an oft injured backup. I fully expect him gone this off-season. He just doesn’t fit anymore, we need guards that can shoot.

I would not be surprised. Yes he played well last night. But not up to what was expected.  If he will accept a vet minimum and we have space, would love to keep him for all the reasons that You state. But would not be surprised if he is let walk.

10 minutes ago, harryfromphilly said:

I would not be surprised. Yes he played well last night. But not up to what was expected.  If he will accept a vet minimum and we have space, would love to keep him for all the reasons that You state. But would not be surprised if he is let walk.

He’s only 25 years old. I’d honestly rather see him get paid and contribute to a team that can utilize him more than we can than settle for a vet minimum deal to ride the pine behind Anthony Black. I love Kelle and at this point I just want to see him make the most of his career with the limitations his body has put on him. He can’t maximize that skillset here with the roster we’ve assembled. I think there’s decent evidence out there that AB is already better for the team than Kelle is

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

He’s only 25 years old. I’d honestly rather see him get paid and contribute to a team that can utilize him more than we can than settle for a vet minimum deal to ride the pine behind Anthony Black. I love Kelle and at this point I just want to see him make the most of his career with the limitations his body has put on him. He can’t maximize that skillset here with the roster we’ve assembled. I think there’s decent evidence out there that AB is already better for the team than Kelle is

I would have to disagree. , Kelle comes in and can calm the team down and get them back into running some sets, Ingles can to a lesser degree. AB can’t do that, at least not yet. I’m not sure if Cole will ever, though there are flashes - he’s just not a natural PG.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

I would have to disagree. , Kelle comes in and can calm the team down and get them back into running some sets, Ingles can to a lesser degree. AB can’t do that, at least not yet. I’m not sure if Cole will ever, though there are flashes - he’s just not a natural PG.

I agree 100%.

Look how long Klay Thompson was out. When he returned he was in a very bad shooting slump and Warriors' fans had given up on him. But look at him now, coming off the bench. I know Markelle is no Klay Thompson, but I think that what Markelle brings to the team is something you might not get in return from letting him walk. Markelle is 25 and Klay is 32.

Here is a quote about K Thompson:    ("'He never gave up': How Warriors' Klay Thompson endured 941 days out of the game."Jan 9, 2022)                                                              

I don't see anything in AB that you can say he brings more to the team than Markelle. Sure, AB is a good defender, but he is not spacing the floor. He has only scored 1 or 2 times in a game--no 3 pt. shots--and that's it.

We need to trade Okeke and some of those other bench warmers who only play if there is a garbage time game. There hasn't  been too many of those due to a lot of close games that we won. 

Be careful what you wish for.

• Upvote 1