Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

Last Week:15

Record: 29-24

OffRtg: 112.6 (24) DefRtg: 111.7 (4) NetRtg:+0.9 (14) Pace: 98.4 (24)

The Magic had a month-long stretch (Dec. 31 to Jan. 29) where they went 5-11. They’ve since gone 5-1 to remain in competition for a top-six seed in the Eastern Conference.

Three takeaways

• Not surprisingly, the Magic have been winning with defense. Their win over the Spurs on Thursday was their fourth most efficient offensive performance of the season (127 points on 98 possessions) and came with 34 points on 13-for-17 shooting from Franz Wagner, but they rank just 24thoffensively over this 5-1 stretch.
  • A big issue has been turnovers: 15.8 turnovers per 100 possessions (30th) over the last 12 days. They still rank 11th in turnover differential for the season (minus-0.5 per game), but have committed 16 more than their opponents over their last three games. They had six in both the first and third quarters in Miami on Tuesday (the one loss), losing those two periods by a combined score of 66-45.
  • The defensive success (109.5 points allowed per 100 possessions over the six games) comes with the context that five of the six opponents rank in the bottom 10 offensively, with the sixth being the Wolves, who rank 18th. But the Magic have allowed just 113.8 points per 100 possessions (well below the league average) in 19 total games against teams that rank in the top 10 on offense.

Their worst defensive game against that group (two weeks ago in Dallas) was the second game of a back-to-back, and the Magic are just 2-8 (with seven straight losses) without rest. Their last two pre-break games are a tough, home-home back-to-back against two top-10 offenses (those of the Thunder and Knicks).

Week 17: vs. OKC, vs. NYK

https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2023-24-week-17

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Last Week:15

Record: 29-24

OffRtg: 112.6 (24) DefRtg: 111.7 (4) NetRtg:+0.9 (14) Pace: 98.4 (24)

The Magic had a month-long stretch (Dec. 31 to Jan. 29) where they went 5-11. They’ve since gone 5-1 to remain in competition for a top-six seed in the Eastern Conference.

Three takeaways

• Not surprisingly, the Magic have been winning with defense. Their win over the Spurs on Thursday was their fourth most efficient offensive performance of the season (127 points on 98 possessions) and came with 34 points on 13-for-17 shooting from Franz Wagner, but they rank just 24thoffensively over this 5-1 stretch.
  • A big issue has been turnovers: 15.8 turnovers per 100 possessions (30th) over the last 12 days. They still rank 11th in turnover differential for the season (minus-0.5 per game), but have committed 16 more than their opponents over their last three games. They had six in both the first and third quarters in Miami on Tuesday (the one loss), losing those two periods by a combined score of 66-45.
  • The defensive success (109.5 points allowed per 100 possessions over the six games) comes with the context that five of the six opponents rank in the bottom 10 offensively, with the sixth being the Wolves, who rank 18th. But the Magic have allowed just 113.8 points per 100 possessions (well below the league average) in 19 total games against teams that rank in the top 10 on offense.

Their worst defensive game against that group (two weeks ago in Dallas) was the second game of a back-to-back, and the Magic are just 2-8 (with seven straight losses) without rest. Their last two pre-break games are a tough, home-home back-to-back against two top-10 offenses (those of the Thunder and Knicks).

Week 17: vs. OKC, vs. NYK

https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2023-24-week-17

We’ve gone 5-1 past couple of weeks so they dropped us two spots this week.  I guess I don’t understand how they come up with this stuff.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

We’ve gone 5-1 past couple of weeks so they dropped us two spots this week.  I guess I don’t understand how they come up with this stuff.  

they don't want to drop lakers and miami beat us. our win against Minny probably don't count

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

We have one of the easier schedules. I don't get it either but our quality wins outside of Minnesota werent notable during the stretch

Personally I don’t care much about the ranking this time of year cause they fluctuate a lot depending on wins and or who you beat …mostly posted it cause I was so impressed with our defensive numbers against top 10 offenses …doesn’t mean we’ll win every game duh but it does bode well for the future imo 

Go Magic! Hope everyone is healthy. Can't wait to watch Isaac and Goga shut down Chet! 

On another note i never get to watch Shai so looking forward to that as a basketball fan.