Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

I was curious after talking about Markelle and his reluctance to shoot the 3 ball yesterday with BJ. As we know he made his first 3 of the season Tuesday against Miami, and attempted 2 shots from beyond the arc. I saw he only took 4 shots yesterday and none from deep, so I went diving into his stats.

Naturally, with only making a single 3 ball all year I went straight to his percentage assuming to see something abysmal. I saw he's shooting 20% from 3 on the season, meaning he’s only attempted 5 threes all season! The game against Miami where he took 2 shots from outside were the first he’s attempted in a game since October 30, the 3rd game of the season. Kelle has now been active in 19 games this year, and he’s only attempted a 3 in 3 of them. He’s killing our spacing with an unwillingness to shoot it from deep.

Gotta give it time bro …he’s only played 10 games since returning to starting …he knows what’s up …he has to shoot 3’s when applicable …I feel like a broken record cause I’m having to keep repeating this …last night he didn’t care about numbers was happy to distribute …highest plus minus on the team …he can score when he wants …that dunk that he attempted over somebody but missed last night would have been awesome …I’ll take more of the above though.

Taking the conversation in a different direction I wanna know all those guys yesterday that posted we were gonna be a playoff flameout …being as how this team hasn’t been in the postseason just once since Dwight left and is so young …

What would a flameout look like ? What if we win a round ? What would be considered overachieving versus underachieving ?

That’s what Weltham wants to see before he makes personnel changes .

For the record, I never felt like a trade was coming cause this team hasn’t had a chance to show what they can do …not a major trade like PG anyway …why I thought all y’all’s panicking trade talk was crazy lol 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Gotta give it time bro …he’s only played 10 games since returning to starting …he knows what’s up …he has to shoot 3’s when applicable …I feel like a broken record cause I’m having to keep repeating this …last night he didn’t care about numbers was happy to distribute …highest plus minus on the team …he can score when he wants …that dunk that he attempted over somebody but missed last night would have been awesome …I’ll take more of the above though.

Taking the conversation in a different direction I wanna know all those guys yesterday that posted we were gonna be a playoff flameout …being as how this team hasn’t been in the postseason just once since Dwight left and is so young …

What would a flameout look like ? What if we win a round ? What would be considered overachieving versus underachieving ?

For the record, I never felt like a trade was coming cause this team hasn’t had a chance to show what they can do …not a major trade like PG anyway …when I thought all y’all’s panicking trade talk was crazy lol 

I’m done with our back and forth on Fultz, we’ll just see how it goes and I’m pulling for the kid like I always have. Living up to the first overall pick hype will probably never be a thing, but I’m ok with that, I just want him to maximize the entire team while he’s out there. San Antonio is easy, I’m glad we got the win last night, but we should have.

I think a successful season is a competitive first round series, like 6 or 7 games. Anything more than that is overachieving. I think the fanbase, myself included, saw the 16-6 start and thought it’d make management fast track our trajectory.

6 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Haha yep …told my son to pick another game and I’d take him …so he chose OKC …saw last week that not only is that the TNT game but the night they are doing the Shaq jersey retirement thing …I may be the only one booing but I’ll let you know jajaja .

Also, after analyzing the schedule we have 30 games left …18 at home …we have 28 wins at this moment …I’m thinking we can go somewhere around 20-10 the final 30 …so I’m gonna predict our final record being 48-34 …that should be enough to get the Magic the 6th seed imo

I will probably be there also Junkie rooting him on.  I’m trying to get tickets for my parents as well as they are in their 80s.  It might be the last time they get to go to a game and we all have a lot of great memories of The Shaq and Penny era.  Very optimistic prediction and I hope your right.  Go Magic!!

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

For the record, I never felt like a trade was coming cause this team hasn’t had a chance to show what they can do …not a major trade like PG anyway …why I thought all y’all’s panicking trade talk was crazy lol 

Getting knocked out of The Play In and not even making The Playoffs is my worst case scenario.  If we can win two games in the first round that is the best case scenario in my opinion.

2 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

Getting knocked out of The Play In and not even making The Playoffs is my worst case scenario.  If we can win two games in the first round that is the best case scenario in my opinion.

winning two playoff games is the worst that could actually happen to us imo! 

That would immediately stall any intentions to improve the roster significantly and we will ride this team out til mediocrity 

As a fan i’d love to win in the playoffs but i have no faith in this FO to make a professional decision. I believe they are emotionally attached (that Family oriented approach has pros and cons) 

I think our success hinge on our organic growth. Our current weakness were addressed by our latest pick (shooter and PG) but we know no rookie can immediately contribute to a championship team unless they are generational. We are bringing them along slowly as there is no rush at all, paolo and franz is still peaking. 
i know there’s a lot of skepticism towards AB but giving up on him this early is not good. PG duty is the hardest position to fill in this league. 

6 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Gotta give it time bro …he’s only played 10 games since returning to starting …he knows what’s up …he has to shoot 3’s when applicable …I feel like a broken record cause I’m having to keep repeating this …last night he didn’t care about numbers was happy to distribute …highest plus minus on the team …he can score when he wants …that dunk that he attempted over somebody but missed last night would have been awesome …I’ll take more of the above 

Fultz has been in the league since 2017.  In those seven seasons, there have been two where he’s played more than 20 games, last season and 2019-2020.  That’s all we have to go off but last season, in 60 games,  he attempted 1.5  three point shots per game on average, and made 31% of them.  In 2019-2020, he played in 72 games and attempted 1.9 per game from 3 and hit less than 27%.  

For you to assert hat he will become an effective three point shooter or even a reasonable three point shooter given this record is just silly.  I doubt that even you believe it.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Fultz has been in the league since 2017.  In those seven seasons, there have been two where he’s played more than 20 games, last season and 2019-2020.  Not much to go off but last season, he attempted 1.5  three point shots per game on average, and made 31% of them.  In 2019-2020, he attempted 1.9 per game from 3 and hit less than 27%.  

For you to assert hat he will become an effective three point shooter or even a reasonable three point shooter after this record is just silly.  I doubt that even you believe it.  

Numbers don’t lie. College kelle is gone and the sooner we admit it, the better. 
But as limited as he is on 3pt shooting, his explosiveness and ball handling ability is top notch. We have to embrace it and i agree with some people here that he have to anchor the second team when we have the starting caliber PG ready. 

42 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Fultz has been in the league since 2017.  In those seven seasons, there have been two where he’s played more than 20 games, last season and 2019-2020.  That’s all we have to go off but last season, in 60 games,  he attempted 1.5  three point shots per game on average, and made 31% of them.  In 2019-2020, he played in 72 games and attempted 1.9 per game from 3 and hit less than 27%.  

For you to assert hat he will become an effective three point shooter or even a reasonable three point shooter given this record is just silly.  I doubt that even you believe it.  

Yeah everybody knows the data ad nauseam …I said he knows and we all know he needs to shootem when applicable …give it a chance …see how the team does the rest of the regular season and into the playoffs …I suggest you take your Fultz complaints in an email to Weltham …cause he made this decision …not me though I like it …don’t know if anyone has noticed but lately and periodically Mohs has been posting Fultz at the foul line …letting him operate from there and make decisions …he’s great at it …sorry you guys that wanted the trade are so butt hurt …not sure what to advise you for the next 2 months if you don’t like the product on the floor .

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Yeah everybody knows the data ad nauseam …I said he knows and we all know he needs to shootem when applicable …give it a chance …see how the team does the rest of the regular season and into the playoffs …I suggest you take your Fultz complaints in an email to Weltham …cause he made this decision …not me though I like it …don’t know if anyone has noticed but lately and periodically Mohs has been posting Fultz at the foul line …letting him operate from there and make decisions …he’s great at it …sorry you guys that wanted the trade are so butt hurt …not sure what to advise you for the next 2 months if you don’t like the product on the floor .

I don’t spend a lot of time worrying about this stuff.  Work keeps me too busy. But I saw your comment and felt it needed a response.  So I won’t be writing to Weltman.  

We know how the better teams play us.  They pack the paint and dare us to shoot, or force us to drive into triple teams and turn it over. Quite often, that results in a blow out.  We’ve seen plenty of it already.  We don’t need to wait until the playoffs so we can see it again.  

• Upvote 3