Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

6 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Rough finish

Damn right. It’s tough to play with 5 guys who have inconsistent shots. This isn’t the 90s, we need to have shooters for our captains Paolo and Franz.

We must get a real, experienced and modern PG. Not a combo guard, not the one who can’t shoot, not a rookie and etc.

Here's an interesting (bad) Paolo/Franz thing.

They're both roughly the same size. And they both prefer to score on drives and at the basket than shoot jumpers. So you get this situation where they're actually relatively easy to defend scheme wise. Just get two similar sized dudes, switch everything and wall off the paint. There's no inherent advantage to including our 2 best players in the same action. That's a problem. 

So you're forced to only include one of them in the play which means you're involving worse players with more limitations who defenses can force into certain things. (Mostly just sag off and live with them shooting)

Or you run Iso which neither Paolo or Franz have shown enough efficient results as yet to suggest it's the way to go. Paolo likes to iso but he usually just settles for a mid range jumper and defenses will give you that all day, especially when we're chasing the game.

Unless Paolo and/or Franz are going to develop as perimeter creators in a big way (I.e. shooting pull up 3s, breaking down guys off the dribble etc). We're going to require a third high end guy. Someone who's either a much better off the dribble creator or just a legit 5 man who can both roll and pop at a high level and make good decisions with the ball. Unfortunately for us both of those things are essentially stars. 

EDIT: is Paolo at the 5 a solution to this? We'll have to actually see it in action but it could be. 

• Like 1

The above is more of a critique of crunch time offense and a big picture, long term thing for winning at the highest level. 

In general getting Gary Harris back should help this team. Need as much consistent shooting as we can get.

Another really frustrating game to watch.

Coaching staff have no clue of what to do with the offense. Last night was terrible all game long, but in the first half we managed to made some of the 3s that they let us shoot. Because you obviously gonna let Paolo and Jalen Suggs shot in this point if you are playing defense. Really poor game development, lack of collective plays and bad decision making. 

Jalen Suggs tonight was again a really low IQ player, not relevant in offense. In his third year he is still out of control with the dribble pretty often, he cannot shoot the ball or making plays to put his teammates in good position. 2 Assist and 3 TO, 4/13FG and -27 (worst of the team). I think Suggs is not going to happen, even with his defensive highlights and his Braveheart stuff. At least I've seen enough.

I said it a couple of days ago, Markelle is the difference between been a +.500 team and another garbage season. And no Jalen Suggs or Anthony Black are ready to replace him in that role. Our backcourt today was a zero and we can't compete against good teams on a daily basis with this personell in the guard position. BKN looked way better than us in every aspect of the game in the 2nd half and they are not even good. 

On 11/15/2023 at 6:25 AM, Phil4Real said:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a PG?

You hit the nail right on the head my friend !!!  Until we get a creator that plays consistently we are going to be a high turnover team. The closest one right now is Markelle.

But about Markelle injury this is what is worrisome:

It is on his left knee, which is the one that he had surgery on previously. He tore the ACL on this knee in January 2021, missing the reminder of that season and most of 2021-22.

AND BY THE WAY, HE IS OUT FOR TONIGHT'S GAME.

His contract too is up in the air.....in his last year (17M)......unrestricted free agent = gone. Probably good chance to be traded by the trade deadline.

Out again for tonight Friday's game vs the Bulls.

• Upvote 1

Damn this kid would've been a great fit next to Paolo and Franz. I still believe in Jett, but Hawkins was clearly the best shooter and most NBA ready in this draft. 

Looking back at this video, Gil was spot on. Hit the nail on the head. I remember when I first saw this video, I didn't know how to take it, but he predicted it exactly how it is today. 

I feel Gil and JJ are the best when it comes to breaking down players' game.

Can't watch the games much. Still the same old Magic, still need a PG as the ones we have the last ten years either suck shooting,suck on defense or can't stay healthy.

Best year we have had in 10 years was when a clear cut bench point guard had a career year and was healthy. Yes i am talking about DJ Augustin.

Can't talk about Fultz and potential anymore, it's now or never. A team starting a rookie at point guard is never going anywhere.

Going way back in this thread, yeah it does suck that the Pacers have Haliburton and the Thunder have Shai. One we could have picked and one was acquired with Sabonis.

SMDH Magic!

Go out and get a vet and lets make the playoffs.