Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We get a future second in every deal where we trade a second. All we're doing is preserving the asset for the future, we're not giving it away. Also NFL picks are way different to NBA picks due to the differing talent pools and the impact individual players make on their respective games. 

Keep kicking the can down the road. So don’t take your chance to pick from the top ranked #31-60 players? You’d rather have a pick at anyone from #61 on down.

F scouting. Lolololololololol

3 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Paolo had been terrible in every game his rookie year against LeBron and didn't look great in our first game against him. I'm hopeful that this continues to drive that confidence in Paolo and he can look back on this moment. Tonight he was who we need him to be to one day make a deep playoff run. 

Also, I love that he continues to naturally highlight other guys in his interviews at every turn. It's the sign of a good, humble leader and will continue to make other guys want to play with him.

Same observation I had a few pages back. He already get rid of the lebron.curse on him by putting lebronesque numbers. Way to go Paolo. 
This while Franz is having a great season himself. Future is bright

22 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Keep kicking the can down the road. So don’t take your chance to pick from the top ranked #31-60 players? You’d rather have a pick at anyone from #61 on down.

F scouting. Lolololololololol

Part of scouting is evaluating whether players are good enough to beat out anybody currently on your roster for a roster spot. If they're not why bother wasting a draft pick? 

Would 99% of second round picks all time make a big enough difference to the outcome of this team? No. 12th men are a dime a dozen. Every year NBA teams give up on 22 year old guys who need a change of scenery that can be had for cheap. Kicking the can down the road is exactly what we're doing. Look at the contending teams that have literally no draft assets. They'd love a second round pick or two to use in trades. We might be contending soon and when we are we have picks to trade to add bench pieces at deadlines. 

There aren't 30 good players in every draft. In some drafts there aren't even 20 good players.  Also, when you get into the second round some players are telling teams not to draft them because they want to decide their own fate as undrafted free agents. 

I would personally rather have a completely free shot at an undrafted free agent we could send to Lakeland than using the 45th pick on a guy who ends up in the same place. Every pick you use is a pick that you can't trade. 2 future seconds gets you an expiring contributor at the deadline for a playoff push (when you're an actual contender you make these moves not now) but Kennedy Chandler (the number 38 pick in the 2022 NBA draft) has already been waived by the team that drafted him and could have been had for free this summer. 

I'll end this debate. In the past ten years the Magic had many times traded a second round pick and shouldn't have. We had absolute dog**** talent on this team and they could have possibly beaten out someone in the top twelve. 

Now we have a roster that's a little too deep and drafted two first rounders. So trading away this years second rounder was a no brainer. Back in the day we had maybe two actual starters (AG,Vucevic) and a whole lot of roleplayers and then **** backing them up. 

Every time we didn't use our second rounders during the ten year rebuild it made me angry.

2 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I agree we definitely need Fultz back. But after watching Black the last two games it does make me wonder who the long term guard will be. Junkie I wasn’t a fan of Black when we drafted him but he has impressed me with his IQ, size, and toughness. He even hit threes last night which was a surprise. I have to also give Mosley credit for starting him last night. 

I disagree. I think we need to move on from Fultz. 

16 minutes ago, Jon said:

I am finding myself leaning more this way. I have NOTHING against him. It's just the same situation as Isaac. If there's an injury setback, is it worth it anymore? If they stay healthy we keep them end of story. But they need to stay healthy or else the Magic are just getting dragged around when they need to be making the playoffs 

At this point it's about winning. If neither can stay healthy and the Magic lose, it's not a good point to be at anymore 

Fultz      i am a big fan and have  been fighting hard for him.

But I think unless he comes back from injury, AND shows improvement in

his shot, yesterday showed us next years point guard.

1 hour ago, Jon said:

I am starting to lean this way also. I am referring to needing him for the season unless we can find someone better in a trade. Black has been very impressive but we will need depth and veterans to make the playoffs.  I wouldn’t give Fultz a big payday though for sure.  

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Ginobli, Draymond, Jokic, Marc Gasol, Arenas, Monta Ellis, Paul Milsap, Middleton. Do I have to continue? 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Would 99% of second round picks all time make a big enough difference to the outcome of this team?. 

Congratulations you've found the 1%. 

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

I'll end this debate. In the past ten years the Magic had many times traded a second round pick and shouldn't have. We had absolute dog**** talent on this team and they could have possibly beaten out someone in the top twelve. 

Now we have a roster that's a little too deep and drafted two first rounders. So trading away this years second rounder was a no brainer. Back in the day we had maybe two actual starters (AG,Vucevic) and a whole lot of roleplayers and then **** backing them up. 

Every time we didn't use our second rounders during the ten year rebuild it made me angry.

Nothing you said here ends the debate. 

And to be clear I'm not advocating for never using seconds. I'm advocating for using them if you believe in the person you're picking to be an NBA player and have a roster spot available for them but otherwise trading out for a future pick is fine. 

• Upvote 2

The "yes sir" say it all. Look like Paolo was putting in work on the World Team. Ant, Paolo and Franz would form the best young big 3 since the 2010s OKC team.

• Like 1