Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It'd be our luck that we get the 3 seed and the Heat get the 6. 

Ugh. They scare me more than they should, and they’d abuse us physically for an entire series. So would New York. Not saying we couldn’t overcome it, but it has been the kind of thing we’ve struggled with this season. I’d love a first round matchup with the Pacers or the Cavs and if Embiid is still out, Philly would be my favorite of the potential matchups. Really we just need to avoid Boston, and probably Milwaukee too, I think we could beat anyone else in a series in the East.

9 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Ugh. They scare me more than they should, and they’d abuse us physically for an entire series. So would New York. Not saying we couldn’t overcome it, but it has been the kind of thing we’ve struggled with this season. I’d love a first round matchup with the Pacers or the Cavs and if Embiid is still out, Philly would be my favorite of the potential matchups. Really we just need to avoid Boston, and probably Milwaukee too, I think we could beat anyone else in a series in the East.

Seems like Embiid will be back given the reporting.

I don't think there's an easy first round series for us but I'd prefer Knicks or Pacers to Heat or 76ers (under the presumption Embiid is healthy for the playoffs).

1 hour ago, Shine88 said:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1770881362242814036

Teams are going to regard passing on this kid. I wished we drafted him. I remember last year Rafael Barlowe from Locked On NBA Big Board was very high on him. I believe he had a Top 5 grade on him. He definitely would be a Top 5 in this class had he not reclassified.

We punted away the high second round pick for a 2030 Bucks second round pick and cash. 

Sometimes i believe Devos family want to cash in those second round picks. Most of these trades don’t make sense. 

Given that we are high on our G League development (or want to be) it was a no brainer to draft GG Jackson. 

Him or Cidy Sissoko should have been drafted in the second round

I want to talk about Herb Jones. He’s actually a guy i’d trade for. He has a nice skill set to compliment this team, either from the bench or starting unit..

Harassing teams with Herb Jones, Suggs and Isaac is actually a dream of mine!

9 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

I want to talk about Herb Jones. He’s actually a guy i’d trade for. He has a nice skill set to compliment this team, either from the bench or starting unit..

Harassing teams with Herb Jones, Suggs and Isaac is actually a dream of mine!

Doubt he's available honestly. All NBA level defense with 40% 3 point shooting isnt the type of guy you move.

I saw a stat that identified Jalen Suggs 40.1% three point shooting this season is equivalent to the best season Damian Lillard at the 3 at 40.1%.

is anyone worried that Jalen is going to command a significant salary in the off-season now to go along with Franz? I guess this is why we didn't sign anyone and kept our cap space flexible. 

7 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I saw a stat that identified Jalen Suggs 40.1% three point shooting this season is equivalent to the best season Damian Lillard at the 3 at 40.1%.

is anyone worried that Jalen is going to command a significant salary in the off-season now to go along with Franz? I guess this is why we didn't sign anyone and kept our cap space flexible. 

No not worried. He is, and we'll pay him. 

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

Yeah, Jalen isn’t goin anywhere but he is gonna be more expensive than we thought a year ago, which is a good thing. That’s why this off-season is our last chance to be aggressive. Sign or trade for someone using existing cap and then extend Jalen and Franz using the different exceptions that let us go over the salary cap. Just need to keep an eye on being a luxury tax team, but I honestly don’t even know what that number is anymore.

16 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, Jalen isn’t goin anywhere but he is gonna be more expensive than we thought a year ago, which is a good thing. That’s why this off-season is our last chance to be aggressive. Sign or trade for someone using existing cap and then extend Jalen and Franz using the different exceptions that let us go over the salary cap. Just need to keep an eye on being a luxury tax team, but I honestly don’t even know what that number is anymore.

The tax next year is projected to be 171m, the cap is 141m . We have 104m active salary which is inclusive of the Joe Ingles 12m team option. So a maximum of 49m in cap room and 79m in room under the tax. (JI is also non-guaranteed for 17m but can't imagine we waive him) 

Remember we're extending Franz and Jalen in the summer but they'll still have 1 year left on their rookie scale salaries, their extension amounts won't kick in until a year later. And the minimum salary threshold is 127m so the Magic have to fill 23m worth of cap space this summer regardless of how big the contracts are that we give Franz/Jalen. 

This is where things get a bit trickier though is projecting this into the future if we presume a Franz max extension and a Jalen 4/100m contract (no idea how close I am on that as a guess but it feels about right). Then the following year it's possible Paolo gets the Derrick Rose Rule max extension.

It gets too complicated to think through for me at a certain point with team options and extending other guys (JI and WCJ mainly on the extension front for what I'm about to say), first round pick salaries depending on where you pick etc but the upshot is the Magic will likely be paying Paolo/Franz/Jalen possibly around 120m combined in 2026-27. The cap is projected to be 170m and the tax is projected to be 207m so that leaves 87m in salary for the remaining 13 roster spots to avoid the tax (we may be a tax paying team when it's clear we're in a contending window to be fair). If we presume we keep Jett and AB up until that point their salaries will be 17m combined so that'd leave 70m to fill 11 roster spots. So if we do swing big this summer with like a 25m+ a year deal it might be safer to go for a 2+1 team option type deal and not anything that goes 3 or 4 years guaranteed. 

• Upvote 1