Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

8 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Paul George on @PodcastPShow dishes out high praise for #Rockets Cam Whitmore: “I was extremely impressed with his game. He’s a player that is going to shake up some things in Houston and can be a star player. I saw stardom on both ends. He played hard on both ends. He can shoot it. He can handle. He’s explosive. He was strong. He had a nastiness to him that you don’t really see in a lot of super young guys. He was trying to challenge me. He was challenging Kawhi. He’s a name that I think, because he’s a rookie, hasn’t had much coverage on him, but he will be good.” 

Can’t believe we didn’t draft him! We messed up on that one! Would have fit right into our mentality, playing style.

He's the definition of a black hole and we value passing. The only player on our roster who has an assist% lower than him is Jonathan Isaac, a guy who's the 5th option every time he's on the floor and makes up for it by being one of the best defensive players in the world. 

I had him lottery (in fact I had him at #6 and AB at #7 on my big board) but I understand why, injury concerns aside, you wouldn't want to draft a guy who's flat out not going to pass the ball back to Paolo and Franz.

19 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

He's the definition of a black hole and we value passing. The only player on our roster who has an assist% lower than him is Jonathan Isaac, a guy who's the 5th option every time he's on the floor and makes up for it by being one of the best defensive players in the world. 

I had him lottery (in fact I had him at #6 and AB at #7 on my big board) but I understand why, injury concerns aside, you wouldn't want to draft a guy who's flat out not going to pass the ball back to Paolo and Franz.

I get that. And it’s kinda true.. But i’m also a believer, that the right chemistry, mentality in the locker room and the coach can change a players mindset.. 

It can actually be seen with Cole. He used to be a black hole as well. Now he can actually mix it up, although he still tends to do so. But i actually think that that is his role with us and he’s been asked to get his own

7 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I'm not sure why Whitmore dropped. He was near the top of my list all last season. He's been great for the Rockets.

had him locked in as a backup SF for us.. 

There are scenarios where I'd be cool with signing Klay (the years and money being right) but I'm not doing backflips if it happens. It's shooting and floor spacing on a level we'll have never had before but he's 34 and not really the same player on defense so it's only addressing the problem short term. 

4 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

There are scenarios where I'd be cool with signing Klay (the years and money being right) but I'm not doing backflips if it happens. It's shooting and floor spacing on a level we'll have never had before but he's 34 and not really the same player on defense so it's only addressing the problem short term. 

Yeah, my issue with Klay is that this summer is the last time for a long time we’re gonna have cap space, with Franz and Suggs due for extensions and Paolo coming the year after that. I don’t want to waste the cap space on short term fill ins. Would rather sign a guy like Monk or trade for someone younger like Sexton, Dejounte or something like that.

I actually have to agree that i’d pass on Klay. Too expensive.. If he’d come for 20ish mil, ok for sure. Great fit.. 

But i don’t feel he’s the guy that will be the missing piece.. 
with our cap space, i’d rather get guys on board who fit our timeline so we can continue to build organically. Nd by that i mean this team will probably decline in the standings. We are probably not competing for the 4th spot next season, except our players grow tremendously in offseason work. We are just too bad against the good NBA teams and teams that pack the paint. 

We lack playmaking with Futz not being an NBA starter (due to his TOS flare up) 

We need to address that more than anything. 

3. The Orlando Magic's two young stars, finding ways to amplify each other

The basketball nerd inside me squealed upon seeing this:

Orlando's tentpole stars cede the ball to a role player and cooperate in a split-style action.

It is tricky at this early stage for Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner to make things easier for each other in conventional ways. Neither has much gravity away from the ball, though Banchero popping to 36% on 3s is massively encouraging. They are the same height and play similar styles, which means the defenders guarding them will often be about the same size -- making it easier to switch two-man actions. The Magic's deficit of shooting around Banchero and Wagner doesn't help.

But even now, with both guys so young and the broader roster a work in progress, there are tactics to mine. The Pacers on this play indeed defend Banchero and Wagner with two like-sized defenders -- Siakam and Nesmith. They switch in sync. The play works anyway. Wagner's screen pins Siakam on the top side -- prey for that backdoor cut.

The Magic are here to stay. Losses to the Knicks and Pacers in the past week hurt them in the race for the No. 4 seed (!), but they still have a two-game cushion above No. 6 and one of the league's easiest remaining schedules -- with 10 of their last 16 games at home.

Their defense is legit -- physical, mean, unrelenting.

https://www.espn.in/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/39732968/lowe-dangerous-pelicans-milwaukee-shrinking-margin-error

NBA free agents I'd like us to consider signing this summer:

• Jrue Holiday (P.O.)
  • D. Russell
  • M. Monk
  • G. Allen
  • T. Jones
  • Kenatvious Caldwell-Pope

I like the idea of starting two guards who can drain the three alongside Franz and Paulo. I don't trust Harris long-term, but our real weakness right now is in our bench. I don't see how we roll with Kelle and Cole next year. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

• Jrue Holiday (P.O.)
  • D. Russell
  • M. Monk
  • G. Allen
  • T. Jones

I like the idea of starting two guards who can drain the three alongside Franz and Paulo. I don't trust Harris long-term, but our real weakness right now is in our bench. I don't see how we roll with Kelle and Cole next year. 

Sign D-Lo and trade for Corey Kispert.  Draft Johnny Furphy (reminds me of Trey Murphy) in the first round and Baylor Scheierman (reminds me of Joe Ingles) in the second round.

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

• Jrue Holiday (P.O.)
  • D. Russell
  • M. Monk
  • G. Allen
  • T. Jones

Would really really like KCP.