Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

Wild to me how people who watched Jalen Suggs play his rookie year don't understand why this team may not want to give another young guard too much responsibility on offense. 

7 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Wild to me how people who watched Jalen Suggs play his rookie year don't understand why this team may not want to give another young guard too much responsibility on offense. 

Suggs even addresses this himself on Russillo’s podcast. said he had to look in the mirror and say hey, this team already has ball handlers, where can I improve to fit in

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

… More smooth than explosive; not especially quick and doesn’t always separate from defenders off the dribble…

This is my main thing with AB …he’ll never be a great shooter imo …he’s at 35 now we’ll see where he’s at at seasons end …His role now is periodically bring the ball down the court …make one pass and go stand in the corner …I mean if that’s how Mohs wants to use him go for it …teams load up on Banchero and he complains about it …my 2 cents 

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/anthony-black/

He's a 35% 3 point shooter as a rookie.

He was a 5 star WR recruit in HS.

Unbelievable athlete. High Motor. Only started playing basketball competitively in early high school (like Tim Duncan, whom was extremely raw at 19 at Wake Forest, my alma mater). 

I don't care if the shot doesn't have "normal" mechanics. That might limit his ceiling but there are a lot of guys who didn't have "normal form" and did fine (Reggie Miller, Tracey McGrady, etc.). 

The guy has a high floor, good character, high bball IQ, great athlete, plays hard, and he's 19. I'm not giving up on him until 3-4 years from now if he hasn't shown improvement. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Absolutely agree about MB. Probably only cost a first and guy like Harris. If we’re not pursuing a bigger deal, this should have been done yesterday.

37 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Absolutely agree about MB. Probably only cost a first and guy like Harris. If we’re not pursuing a bigger deal, this should have been done yesterday.

I agree this is the low cost move to make. If we’re not getting Murray, Brogdon is the one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1ac2pj6/bringbackthepicks_this_st_got_me_tight_your_son/

TLDR: Some stuff on Reddit/Hawks Twitter about how Dejounte Murray was DMing a fan (who tweeted about him in a negative way) talking about how the coach was using him one way in practice and another way in games and how all he does is run up and down and spot up. The fan tweeted it out after Murray's dad complained on Twitter about Hawks fans bashing his son and ended the tweet with #Feb8. 

It all comes across as kind of bitter. Does not make me like him more. But probably goes some way into explaining why the asking price doesn't seem too high if he has been unhappy for weeks and basically asked to be traded. 

30 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1ac2pj6/bringbackthepicks_this_st_got_me_tight_your_son/

TLDR: Some stuff on Reddit/Hawks Twitter about how Dejounte Murray was DMing a fan (who tweeted about him in a negative way) talking about how the coach was using him one way in practice and another way in games and how all he does is run up and down and spot up. The fan tweeted it out after Murray's dad complained on Twitter about Hawks fans bashing his son and ended the tweet with #Feb8. 

It all comes across as kind of bitter. Does not make me like him more. But probably goes some way into explaining why the asking price doesn't seem too high if he has been unhappy for weeks and basically asked to be traded. 

He has been heavily involved in Trade Rumors for weeks. I get why he would want out of there. Not the classiest thing I’ve heard to be sure. I’d still take him though for the right price. 

Orlando Magic (eighth, 23-21)

What they need: Shooting. Since Dec. 12, the Magic rank 29th in both 3s made and percentage. I identified them as the NBA’s worst overall shooting team last month when they were playing well. The wins have dried up in the second quarter of the season, and the painful shooting is a major reason why.

Who they should target: Memphis Grizzliesshooting guard Luke Kennard. The Magic have a surplus of point guards. Cole Anthony was extended, Anthony Black was drafted, and Jalen Suggs is starting at shooting guard. Markelle Fultz is in a contract year. The Grizzlies should be looking for assets in what is a lost season. Kennard is shooting a four-year low from 3, and that’s still good enough for 42.6 percent.
https://theathletic.com/5228489/2024/01/26/nba-trade-deadline-team-needs/

You really need multiple shooters otherwise they key on the one guy you have out there who’s a threat, and still clog the paint against everyone else.