Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Paolo, Franz, Suggs, AB and possibly WCJ. 

Is it worthwhile taking a step forward at PG to take a step backward at C?  Possibly but from a cap perspective that WCJ contract is nice and hard to let go of. He'll be making less than the mid level exception for the next 2 years after this one. That's insane value. 

AB I'm just really high on.

I hear you. I think these are my only untouchables related to Murray:

Paulo, Franz and Suggs… which is why I don’t believe we trade for Murray.

I’ve convinced myself that the Hawks would demand Suggs and picks for Murray, but I personally can’t envision us including Suggs. He’s our culture setter and still very young and improving. (For me, WCJ is very close to making my list, too).

6 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

In terms of trading or not trading Fultz and/or JI, I simply don’t trust in their health moving forward. 

JI I just don't think has enough value to bother trading but is still super impactful when he plays. This might be a little of the sunk cost fallacy talking but I'd just keep him to be honest. And we won't need his salary to make trades happen with Fultz + Harris + Chuma. 

9 hours ago, ball junkie said:

lol I just posted quotes from Paolo himself after the Miami game saying how much easier Fultz makes his life …but you guys by all means keep creating this false narrative …now if it’s a business decision go for it but like I said it better move us forward and not backwards .

We all like and have rooted for Fultz. He is hurt too much though and his shooting is awful to nonexistent.  Would you be opposed to him coming off the bench if we can get upgrade?  I think it’s clear he isn’t a starter on a decent playoff team let alone a contender due to his shooting. 

This is a great time in our development to cash in some expiring contracts and draft picks for an upgrade. There are several options on the trade market. Waiting until the summer is simply bad business. 

What i would like to see is Fultz start most of this year and mentor AB.  Then, in the summer, if he is willing to come off the bench, resign him. If not, let him go.

(yes I know that means no value, but really, other than his expiring contract, he has no value now.

IIf we trade and Fultz is selling to come off the bench, I say keep him. But if we have a new traded for PG and Fultz, where does that leave AB?

Is AB more of a shooting guard?  Or does that mean fultz would become 3rd string?

Again, my first sentence started with "What I would like..."    none of it may be possible or make sense.

What if Fultz stays healthy the rest of the year ? What if Fultz doesn’t get traded and the Magic climb back up the East standings and make an impressive showing in the playoffs ? Would you still kick him to the curb in favor of someone else ?  Would he not be your starter next season if the Magic dazzle in the playoffs ? 

I hate to sound like a broken record but nobody knows how this team will perform under the playoff lights .

Seems like a lot of assuming going on.

Here’s what I do know as factual …the original starting 5 has been super impressive in their limited time on the court this season …Banchero states Fultz makes his life so much easier …Banchero states he’s yearning for the team to get heathy so they can get better cohesion and start gearing up for the playoffs ….would  a trade upset the apple cart ?

You guys constantly are harping about team chemistry and getting along …which this team seems to have …you would make a deadline trade in favor of breaking up this team chemistry ? If they do make a deadline deal for a PG 6 weeks is not a long time to rebuild team chemistry and cohesion .

Having said all this I’m not a business man …that’s why Weltham make the big bucks .

I’ll say this again …some of you guys that are trade happy should probably pull for the team to lose often these next 7 games …cause I can’t see Weltham pulling the trigger if we start getting it together .

2 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

What if Fultz stays healthy the rest of the year ? What if Fultz doesn’t get traded and the Magic climb back up the East standings and make an impressive showing in the playoffs ? Would you still kick him to the curb in favor of someone else ?  Would he not be your starter next season if the Magic dazzle in the playoffs ? 

I hate to sound like a broken record but nobody knows how this team will perform under the playoff lights .

Here’s what I do know as factual …the original starting 5 has been super impressive in their limited time on the court this season …Banchero states Fultz makes his life so much easier …Banchero states he’s yearning for the team to get heathy so they can get better cohesion and start gearing up for the playoffs ….would  a trade upset the apple cart ?

You guys constantly are harping about team chemistry and getting along …which this team seems to have …you would make a deadline trade in favor of breaking up this team chemistry ? If they do make a deadline deal for a PG 6 weeks is not a long time to rebuild team chemistry and cohesion .

Having said all this I’m not a business man …that’s why Weltham make the big bucks .

I’ll say this again …some of you guys that are trade happy should probably pull for the team to lose often these next 7 games …cause I can’t see Weltham pulling the trigger if we start getting it together .

I agree with all that You posted. Of course IF ...   My post about losing Markelle in the summer or having him come off the bench was a worse case scenario.   And that worse case, to me, says we should keep moving forward with him for now.    I know others strongly disagree.   None of us have any control over this.  Whatever happens I'll still be a fan, lol.

5 hours ago, ball junkie said:

All I’m reading are a bunch of what if’s from your post. That’s all we’ve been waiting for the last several years are the same players to get healthy. Imagine what an actual pg who can shoot would do to Banchero and Franz’s game. It would open up the whole teams offense and wouldn’t let the opposing team key in on Paolo and Franz. Don’t get me wrong I like Fultz but not making a trade because of what if’s is how you continue to be a bottom feeder in this league. Why do you think the Nuggets, Heat, Boston, Milwaukee, Philadelphia’s of this league stay relevant and are always at the top of the standings? Because they aren’t afraid to make moves to acquire players who improve their roster. 

Bringing in one player who is an upgrade at a position of need will not destroy a whole teams locker room and the chemistry they’ve built. If anything it would help integrate that new player faster because they wouldn’t want to mess up what is clearly a strength of this team. Take Joe Ingles for example he’s new to the team this year and yet everyone embraced him from the beginning and he didn’t mess any of our chemistry up.

Nobody should be pulling for this team to lose but if we are serious about making the playoffs and actually competing when we get there we need a starting pg who can spread the floor. If we can do that by only trading away expiring contracts and a few draft picks that’s a no brainer situation for any organization that is serious about taking the next step. 

People on here seem to forget that the playoffs are a completely different game/atmosphere than the regular season. It’s a 7 game series and the opponent is watching tons of film on the team they are going up against. Meaning they know guys tendencies, the sets coaches draw up, and make game to game adjustments. Anyone who plays us will just clog the paint and dare us to shoot from outside. Our guys won’t learn anything from playing poorly in the post season and getting swept in the first round. 

• Upvote 1

No offense Franz …but you just did the same thing I was complaining about assuming things …glad you already know that we’ll play poorly in the postseason and get swept …

15 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

No offense Franz …but you just did the same thing I was complaining about assuming things …glad you already know that we’ll play poorly in the postseason and get swept …

None taken. It’s clear as day this is what would happen. Teams do it now to us and it’s just the regular season. You think when the intensity and focus is turned up on us that things would be different? 

9 minutes ago, OnlyFranz said:

None taken. It’s clear as day this is what would happen. Teams do it now to us and it’s just the regular season. You think when the intensity and focus is turned up on us that things would be different? 

The starters have played together a total of 5 games …and impressively I might add …but I digress .

Don’t worry about me …please feel free to continue with your trade discussions 

2 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

The starters have played together a total of 5 games …and impressively I might add …but I digress .

Don’t worry about me …please feel free to continue with your trade discussions 

What if we could swing a Kelle deal around Shaedon Sharpe? 

• Upvote 1