Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

10 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

This is true. A lot of fan frustration comes from the fact that Weltman moves in silence so it's easy to act like he's doing nothing. When he doesn't make a trade, because there aren't loads of rumours around about us, it's easy to say "he didn't even try" which almost certainly isn't true. 

And if he does make a trade it'll come out of nowhere.

And if it isn't a blockbuster trade, people will act like that was a deliberate choice instead of just the best deal for us we could find. 

By that logic, though, you could always justify doing nothing by saying a good deal just wasn’t available.  It does seem other front offices have historically been more active than ours.  Part of it could be actively initiating and proposing helpful trades vs waiting for people to offer us something.  Hard to know what’s really going on behind the scenes, of course.  All we can see are the results.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

By that logic, though, you could always justify doing nothing by saying a good deal just wasn’t available.  It does seem other front offices have historically been more active than ours.  Part of it could be actively initiating and proposing helpful trades vs waiting for people to offer us something.  Hard to know what’s really going on behind the scenes, of course.  All we can see are the results.  

I feel like this is recency bias. Think back to deadline day 3 years ago when Weltman and Hammond blew up our entire core. I’m going off (maybe blind) hope that he does seem to have a track record of making a move when a move needs to be made.

14 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I feel like this is recency bias. Think back to deadline day 3 years ago when Weltman and Hammond blew up our entire core. I’m going off (maybe blind) hope that he does seem to have a track record of making a move when a move needs to be made.

You might be right but it took them years to pull that trigger.  

1 minute ago, JJZFL said:

You might be right but it took them years to pull that trigger.  

took them basically a season and half to trade them guys.. Hardly years.

We got Franz, Wendell and Jett out of it plus pick from Denver still to come.. if j missed anything else then my bad.

40 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yea I think this is my belief/hope too is that he doesn't make a move for the sake of it but when a move is there that he likes or when he needs to act he does. 

A lot of teams make trades at the deadline just to make trades. I'm looking at a roundup from last year's deadline and sure there were some pretty big moves but there were also a whole bunch of trades that just shuffled random guys around the league and didn't do anything of importance for either team and some teams gave up assets to make that happen too. 

17 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

took them basically a season and half to trade them guys.. Hardly years.

We got Franz, Wendell and Jett out of it plus pick from Denver still to come.. if j missed anything else then my bad.

The vooch and Evan show lasted longer than it ever should have. It was going Nowhere. Just like this injured player situation, lasting too long and in desperate need for a true point guard. A move should be made this time,  but I expect the scraps left on the table is what we will be left with. No shocker,

Welcome YOURRRRR OLANDO mediocrity Magic. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea I think this is my belief/hope too is that he doesn't make a move for the sake of it but when a move is there that he likes or when he needs to act he does. 

A lot of teams make trades at the deadline just to make trades. I'm looking at a roundup from last year's deadline and sure there were some pretty big moves but there were also a whole bunch of trades that just shuffled random guys around the league and didn't do anything of importance for either team and some teams gave up assets to make that happen too. 

Completely agree about not making a trade for the sake of appearances.  In this case, though, I think it’s abundantly clear that our guard play is inadequate compared to other teams, and that lack (which includes guards being able to shoot) is impacting the effectiveness of our two young hopeful future stars.  Maybe we’ll work our way through it with “internal growth” but I think that’s risky.  

• Upvote 1

the blow up of Vooch, Fournier and AG was the one and only time this fo was aggressive!!!!

ONE and ONLY! 

They are very conservative each deadline, they are very conservative during the draft and they go to sleep in the 2nd round of the draft process! 

I wonder, if the NBA decides to make it a 2 day draft, if our fo would even show up on day 2 or just have. nice off day instead

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

the blow up of Vooch, Fournier and AG was the one and only time this fo was aggressive!!!!

ONE and ONLY! 

They are very conservative each deadline, they are very conservative during the draft and they go to sleep in the 2nd round of the draft process! 

I wonder, if the NBA decides to make it a 2 day draft, if our fo would even show up on day 2 or just have. nice off day instead

I think this is another case of recency bias. There’s plenty of proof of us being aggressive in the past when the need arose and we were ready to contend. Horace Grant, Rashard Lewis, Steve Francis, Gilbert Arenas, Serge Ibaka, Bismack Biyombo some of these worked, some of these backfired hard. Rob Hennigan did some irreparable damage to our fanbase.

My opinion is we’re ready for a 3rd star and we have the assets to acquire one. Just who’s available? And does Dejounte Murray now outweigh a potentially better option in the near future? I think playoff experience would be tremendous for this team, and I don’t think we are good enough right now to make a playoff run, but I also don’t want to sacrifice our whole load of assets unless it’s someone great who will be here for a long time. I want a small move, low risk rental like Hield as the most practical move this year so we can stay flexible going forward.

I've been on the Fultz bandwagon for a long time, but right now I'm all for using his expiring contract as part of a deal to get us a scoring PG. He's done, stick a fork in him, it's over.

10 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Anfernee Simons ticks the most boxes but I’d also take:

star-ish players:

Dejounte Murray, Trae Young, Tyler Herro, Malcolm Brogdon, Tyus Jones, Bojan Bogdanovic, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Zach Lavine

role players but great shooters:

Sam Merrill, Alec Burks

Simons sucks on D which makes him not fit what we are trying to do.