Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Summer League Watch Thread

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

We’re down 20 having scored about 70 points with 6 minutes left.  Black has a team worst +\- of negative 18.  

Not too worried about this. Indiana is rolling out a few guys that played big minutes last year and are just more experienced. I’m not expecting anything more this summer than a few flashes from AB and Jett. Not sure if I expect either in the opening night rotation.

2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Maybe because his contract isn’t signed yet?

No he has been there the last game! 

I dunno why he wasn’t there but it most definitely isn’t because of the contract.. Even Schoefield out there supporting.. Seems like he’ll get another two way. With K. Harris and Schoefield we really have two great two way players.. 

btw, truly amazing the entire team out there in Vegas! I can imagine they are having a great time and also work out together behind the scenes. Think about it. They can really do a Magic only „open run“, which is really amazing.. 

In the past years we saw great improvement by teams that did these team practices during the summer. Rico Hines had the Raptors, Clippers and others doing these runs. But they never had so many players together 

5 hours ago, JJZFL said:

We’re down 20 having scored about 70 points with 6 minutes left.  Black has a team worst +\- of negative 18.  

it was at the start negative norman

2 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Is cash considerations better than taking a flier on a 6'8'' guy that can play like this?

Yes because the billionaire is strapped, and We don’t need too many good players. Blah blah blah. 

• Like 1

I’ll be honest, I’m not impressed with our team's approach to summer league. To throw a bunch of scrubs out there with our rooks and expect something meaningful to develop is foolish thinking. Last night was barely watchable. Yes, AB and Howard flashed, but the overall game was a mess. Bad shots, bad passes, bad defensive rotations, etc. Why not play a few guys who know our system (Harris, Houston and Schofield) with the rooks? Raw players playing with raw players will create raw results.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

9 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Not too worried about this. Indiana is rolling out a few guys that played big minutes last year and are just more experienced. I’m not expecting anything more this summer than a few flashes from AB and Jett. Not sure if I expect either in the opening night rotation.

I was responding to Jays comments about how amazing Black and Howard looked.  I don’t pay too much attention to summer league but wanted to inject a dose of reality into the conversation.  

24 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I’ll be honest, I’m not impressed with our team's approach to summer league. To throw a bunch of scrubs out there with our rooks and expect something meaningful to develop is foolish thinking. Last night was barely watchable. Yes, AB and Howard flashed, but the overall game was a mess. Bad shots, bad passes, bad defensive rotations, etc. Why not play a few guys who know our system (Harris, Houston and Schofield) with the rooks? Raw players playing with raw players will create raw results.

Preach!  It is negligent to put the rookies in this situation. It is not teaching the proper, disciplined method of playing. Inexcusable.

Also wtf were some the sets they running, especially when they took the ball out of AB’s hands. It became a one on one shi** show. Btw. Black is a point guard, and looked lost playing off the ball. 

50 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Yeah, this goes along the same lines with me as refusing to utilize 2nd round picks. We might as well not build a summer league team or have a G league team if we’re going to completely neglect these chances to find and improve prospects. 

Yeah, the way they constructed their summer league rosters have did no favors for Black, Jett and Houstan. We got a bunch of turnover prone chucker that don't play winning basketball. At least Black and Jett are both taking the right approach, by making the extra pass, and not just chuck in up shots.

I feel Weltman needs to do a better job with our "farm system". We get three two-way players this year, hopefully he makes use of them. I mean using our second round pick would've been a good start to that process. We passed on some really good developmental prospects the pass two years. I still tight about us passing on Jaden Hardy last year.