Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Summer League Watch Thread

2 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I thought AB looked fine outside the 7 TO’s …I mean he’s tall, passes and sees the floor well …I wouldn’t say he’s explosive …but most of our offense goes through Franz and Paolo …if we are gonna stick him in a corner after he gives it up wouldn’t a guy like this open our offense up better ?

To me it’s about potential. AB’s ceiling is much higher.

Also, I don’t think anybody considered Cason at 6. If you want to talk to me about him at 11 and allowing OKC to leap us to steal him, I think that’s a more worthwhile talk.

16 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Also, I don’t think anybody considered Cason at 6. If you want to talk to me about him at 11 and allowing OKC to leap us to steal him, I think that’s a more worthwhile talk.

Unfortunately the draft would have needed to go a different way for us to have considered Wallace. Weren’t taking him at 6 and can’t take him after Black. He will be a good player

19 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Agree about 6 for Cason …but 6 was AB ceiling …we could have traded but didn’t …sure you know I’m not the only one that’s said if he’s gonna be off ball a lot he’s not the ideal pick for us …we shall see 

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Agree about 6 for Cason …but 6 was AB ceiling …we could have traded but didn’t …sure you know I’m not the only one that’s said if he’s gonna be off ball a lot he’s not the ideal pick for us …we shall see 

Takes two teams to trade. Easy to just say we could have done it and assume there were tons of offers 

Feel like I'm losing my mind when people say AB can't play off ball honestly. And this isn't even a shot at posters on this board, I've seen and heard lots of analyst-y or podcast-y types say the same thing. I've watched/re-watched like 15 Arkansas games since we drafted him. If the jumper is passable (just passable, doesn't even need to be legit good) he'll be an awesome off ball player. I have a lot more questions about him playing on ball at the NBA level honestly.

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

6 wasn't AB ceiling, 5 was. The Jazz and Wizards were both trying to jump in front of us to get Black, but the Pistons were high on Ausar. I knew Black was our guy once I seen that report.

Vecenie starts talking at the 1:13.00 mark …just about every single person on this board says how they value things he says …clearly he’s not a guy who throws around words haphazardly …thinks about what he says …unless of course what he’s saying doesn’t fit peoples narratives .

I only watched about 10 minutes of the game but was impressed with the feel of both rooks. I’m very thankful we’re letting AB run point. 

11 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I only watched about 10 minutes of the game but was impressed with the feel of both rooks. I’m very thankful we’re letting AB run point. 

i like AB a lot.. Probably the best player that was available at 6.. 

With Howard, i’m not so sure.. he does have upside but last years draft, a similar player (imo) went in the second round and we past on him (i was mad at this last year).. 

Hardy has a similar game. I feel we kinda reached and i’m also not sure why we couldn’t draft Lively and kinda fleece the Mavericks, who clearly wanted to draft Lively.. 

We should have drafted Lively and either kept him as it’s apparently tough to find backup centers or squeeze some assets out of Dallas because they clearly wanted Lively..

That said. I don’t dislike the players Howard at all.

Jett showed no clue on defense, but much worse, no desire to even attempt defense.  I really liked AB’s game though.  Jett’s handle and quickness leave a lot to be desired. I know he’s a kid still, but at this point I think he is 100% a catch and shoot guy only.  
You would think Howard’s intensity and desire would be really high in a first game, but it sure seemed lacking vs Detroit.

On the other hand AB seemed confident and capable of really being a player who can contribute big time as a rookie. 

on a side note….does anyone else think that Weltman’s track record of drafting injured players   (Okeke) / Howard- who Weltman thinks is going to be so much better when they are healthy-  seems kind of strange?

• Upvote 1