CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Free Agency Thread

7 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

You'll give up all that just for Herro and his bad contract. Horrible trade.

basically Cole, Harris, 2024 Top 3-5 protected pick and Denver pick.. 

yeah i’d do that for either Herro or Simons if we get involved in the Lilliard trade

42 minutes ago, Jon said:

I'm getting on the train of thinking you don't have anything positive to say about this team, Jon. How long have you been a fan and why are you a fan? Lol 

22 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, I understand the frustration here. It’s getting close to being a conversation of if we’re really that smart with money, or if ownership has just decided they want to be cheap over trying to compete. I had silly hopes for an exciting off-season that included trading one of our picks and getting back some sort of proven scorer, but it looks like we’re content on running it back with 2 more rookies and some uneventful FAs. Even the Ingles move, while it’s something to like on paper, he’ll be 36 by the time the season starts and coming off a recently torn ACL. I honestly am not sure if I expect him to be an on court contributor at all.

You were excited for this weak free agency class? You notice most of the teams (Pistons and Spurs) with cap space basically punted this off-season to maintain cap flexibility for next year. Plus, I think the goal was to add players around Paolo and Franz to continue to allow them to grow, and not guys that would disrupt their development.

8 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

basically Cole, Harris, 2024 Top 3-5 protected pick and Denver pick.. 

yeah i’d do that for either Herro or Simons if we get involved in the Lilliard trade

His trade had Black, Suggs and Harris. That's getting fleeced for a return of Herro. Reminds me of the Ibaka trade.

5 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

You were excited for this weak free agency class? You notice most of the teams (Pistons and Spurs) with cap space basically punted this off-season to maintain cap flexibility for next year. Plus, I think the goal was to add players around Paolo and Franz to continue to allow them to grow, and not guys that would disrupt their development.

Pretty sure I said “trading one of our picks and getting back some sort of proven scorer”. I’m thinking guys that would provide spacing and prevent double teaming to help Paolo and Franz develop into their full potential. 

Not terrible value for Reeves. I thought someone would give up a lot more for him in light of the numbers being thrown around. 

3 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

His trade had Black, Suggs and Harris. That's getting fleeced for a return of Herro. Reminds me of the Ibaka trade.

oh ok. Didn’t see that.. Yeah that would be to much for me.. 

I’m willingly punting on next years draft because i think it’s a weak class as of now. 

We're 2 years away from giving Franz Wagner a likely 5 year 230 million dollar contract. 

Paolo Banchero will likely make more than that the year after. 

• Like 1

Obi Toppin being traded to the Pacers for two second round picks.. 

The Pacers are a sleeper team for me.. They have a good team and a good coach.. they are making at least the play in next year

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

We're 2 years away from giving Franz Wagner a likely 5 year 230 million dollar contract. 

Paolo Banchero will likely make more than that the year after. 

i love Franz.. If he keeps developing he’d be worth the contract.. but he has to develop.. Right now Franz is a taller version of Ginobili, which is great. But not at 230 mil

I think it is fair to question the FO’s player acquisition plan writ large, but not based on activity in this free agent period (which is not over btw). I don’t think it is an issue of being cheap but an issue of maybe being too deliberate. However, there really wasn’t anyone realistically available that is more than just a solid role player, which we do admittedly still need more of.

And are people really getting mad that we won’t trade for Tyler Herro who Miami didn’t want to put on the floor?

3 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I'm getting on the train of thinking you don't have anything positive to say about this team, Jon. How long have you been a fan and why are you a fan? Lol 

Since 89...The beginning...Why? Because I’m from Orlando and was a player back in the day.  I still follow Orlando but I’ve been having a hard time holding on due to the BS that seems to come with this team. Was real happy we got Paolo and Franz though. They are a positive but that can go south quick if FO doesn’t start getting a little more proactive and start thinking outside of their box.

I use to post here quite often under the name Magicman btw. Waaay back in the day.

My issue is I see a trend with this FO. It’s a very passive one where they spend a year evaluating, praying for a good pick, resign current guys, and some cheap vets who are on the wrong side of 30 and repeat.

Right now you have a roster that’s incredibly unbalanced. You drafted two rookies with high picks, one that mimics your starting PG such as lack of a credible outside shot, attacks the rim and plays d and another who was a reach. You got other guys at the same positions you need to make decisions with that are blocking rooks PT which could very likely result in a disaster next off season.