CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Free Agency Thread

29 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

We gotta add a vet 4. Injury prone behind Paolo is an understatement 

i have Mo Wagner coming back.. also Bol Bol is a possibility.. we have options to add depth at PF

1 minute ago, orlandoholic said:

Vezenkov signing for 3y/20 mil to Sacramento.. Great signing for them

They should give him a starting spot. Would benefit the team

21 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, we could play Bol and Moe at the 4 too but I don’t think it’s a winning recipe. I like the idea of Grant I guess if the price is right 

Thinking on this more though... if Paolo plays 72 games at 34 mpg I don't know if we need to worry too much about the health of guys behind him. I mean maybe Paolo plays 5mpg at the 5 or 3 or whatever and opens more minutes up at the 4...  I dunno.

I'd like Grant I think he's versatile enough to fit in "no center" lineups with a frontcourt of Franz/Paolo/Williams occasionally and I think you could possibly play any of Franz/Williams, Paolo/Williams, Ingles/Williams for spells at the 3/4. But is he coming here to play 1500 minutes when he played 2000+ for an ECF team last season? 

And should we spend possibly 15m+ a season on someone who'll never start when everyone is healthy? I dunno. I'd probably do it just from an asset stand point and for adding another guy who you could be certain can play major playoff minutes... But I think there's reasonable arguments to avoid it. 

19 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Thinking on this more though... if Paolo plays 72 games at 34 mpg I don't know if we need to worry too much about the health of guys behind him. I mean maybe Paolo plays 5mpg at the 5 or 3 or whatever and opens more minutes up at the 4...  I dunno.

I'd like Grant I think he's versatile enough to fit in "no center" lineups with a frontcourt of Franz/Paolo/Williams occasionally and I think you could possibly play any of Franz/Williams, Paolo/Williams, Ingles/Williams for spells at the 3/4. But is he coming here to play 1500 minutes when he played 2000+ for an ECF team last season? 

And should we spend possibly 15m+ a season on someone who'll never start when everyone is healthy? I dunno. I'd probably do it just from an asset stand point and for adding another guy who you could be certain can play major playoff minutes... But I think there's reasonable arguments to avoid it. 

Yeah, I guess so. And I’m sure we’re planning for Isaac to fill a role, but when he inevitably gets hurt again, we need a better option than Chuma. 10 man healthy rotation is probably 

Fultz/Cole

Suggs/GH

Franz/Ingles

Paolo/Isaac

Wendell/Goga

With Black eventually taking Gary’s role and Jett, Caleb, Kevon, Chuma, Moe (if re-signed), Bol (if re-signed) riding the pine.

I just feel like we have so many pieces that a 2 or 3 for 1 trade makes a ton of sense.

8 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, I guess so. And I’m sure we’re planning for Isaac to fill a role, but when he inevitably gets hurt again, we need a better option than Chuma. 

Yea I agree. I really can't imagine Isaac playing more than 50ish games even if he's healthy the majority of the season with back to backs etc. 

And I've kind of given up on Chuma unfortunately because I had high hopes for him after his rookie year. 

I also don't really believe in Bol at all and view M Wagner as only a 5 really. 

If it was up to me I'd have waived Bol and Isaac already to be honest. 

If we wanted a cheaper option, Trendon Watford maybe?

7 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea I agree. I really can't imagine Isaac playing more than 50ish games even if he's healthy the majority of the season with back to backs etc. 

And I've kind of given up on Chuma unfortunately because I had high hopes for him after his rookie year. 

I also don't really believe in Bol at all and view M Wagner as only a 5 really. 

If it was up to me I'd have waived Bol and Isaac already to be honest. 

If we wanted a cheaper option, Trendon Watford maybe?

It’s interesting you would have waived Isaac already.  He at least should be given these next 6 months, or whatever it is before he’s fully guaranteed, to improve his value whether it be for us or for trade. He has had times in his career when his value was up there. He’s quality on the court. He could have a great start to the season and be worth something to us. I was under the impression that our cap owes him what we owe him in terms of if we cut him now or at the turn of the year. 

2 minutes ago, Section229 said:

It’s interesting you would have waived Isaac already.  He at least should be given these next 6 months, or whatever it is before he’s fully guaranteed, to improve his value whether it be for us or for trade. He has had times in his career when his value was up there. He’s quality on the court. He could have a great start to the season and be worth something to us. I was under the impression that our cap owes him what we owe him in terms of if we cut him now or at the turn of the year. 

Yeah, his contract doesn’t become fully guaranteed until 1/10/24, so if we haven’t waived him by now to make cap room for an FA, it’s not happening in the off-season.

A few interesting 4s still out there, that could maybe play fringe 4/5. PJ Washington, Grant Williams, Dario Saric. Also fringe 3/4 guys like Justise Winslow and Derrick Jones Jr.

Just now, Section229 said:

Yea you're right he doesn't become fully guaranteed until January but at that point we have no real use for that cap space.

I agree he's impactful when healthy, but his last healthy season was 4 years ago and at this point I'm not convinced he'll ever get back there on a regular basis.